Or maybe even an instructor that you guys know of that can take the time to go into rhythm and how different kinds of rhythms sound when put together? I'm having a really hard time when things start to get beamed and there's like an eighth note. A sixteenth note, and another eighth note kind of hing in one beam. I guess what I'm really confused about is how if something is in 4/4 I get a quarter is one full beat out of 4 but an eighth note is 1/8 making it read as "+" or "and" right? What about sixteenth notes though? That's where I get real tripped up.. The sixteenth is "a" as in "one and a" right?

I'm just so confused I'm really trying to read sheet music but I can't seem to grasp the concept on my own, I really would love a whole page of examples but I can't find that anywhere
Music is just sound over time, and standard notation is no different. Your problem is you are using others peoples methods to count. Using '+' or 'and' is not necessary although a lot of teacher use to teach. All they are you to do when playing eighth notes is to divide the beat equally into 2. So you play 2 notes of equal duration in the time of 1 beat. For sixteenths, you play 4 notes of equal duration in the time of 1 beat. That's all you need to do.
You don't need to count, you can use any method you like as long as you can divide it into equal durations.
Hello Gibson!

I was like this when first started to put my hands into sheet music as well. Rather than direct you towards a youtube series I'll help you personally.

I am going to be assuming that your question is how to subdivide rhythmic figures.

Here are the subdivisions for basic rhythmic patterns given that we are talking about a bar in 4/4. Note that I am not including half notes and whole notes.

Quarter Note -1 2 3 4 (1/4) A bar
Eighth Note 1-n 2-n 3-n 4-n (1/8) A bar
Sixteenth Note. 1-e-n-a 2-e-n-a 3-e-n-a 4-e-n-a (1/16) A bar

When you are talking about beams you said that the example was a sixteenth note beamed with an eighth note followed by another sixteenth note.

If that were the case then it would be counted as 1-e-a or a 2-e-a depending on which beat it starts on.

The sixteenth note is 1/16 of a bar so that would be counted as (1).
The eighth note is 1/8th of a bar so that would be counted as (e)
Notice that we skip the (n) because the duration of an eighth note covers the (n) making it unnecessary to count.
The last sixteenth note would be considered the (a)

I really hope this helps and would appreciate it if you let me know if this answered your question.
Last edited by dannydawiz at Oct 4, 2013,