So I've noticed one of my favorite guitar players Nick Hipa (AILD) is using the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. How do these differ from the the EMG 81/85 set up that I currently have? I haven't had a chance to play the Blackouts yet, and just wondering why someone might prefer these over the EMG.
Your best bet is to jump on youtube and search, there are quite a few videos that compare those two sets. It's a lot easier to hear the difference than to try to describe it.
I think the difference is the EQ, I'm not sure what the specific difference is though. My guess is the Seymour Duncan would be more Mid and Low-end, like the passive Invader pick-up, just speculation though. Quality wise they're both good bets though.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
To me, Blackouts sound a little warmer and thicker, but still have plenty of the bite and tightness that actives are known for. I really like the way mine sound.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
To me, Blackouts sound a little warmer and thicker, but still have plenty of the bite and tightness that actives are known for. I really like the way mine sound.

+1 to this.

Blackouts sound more similar to passives with an active output. Much more organic. I hear the 18v mod on EMGs (or the new EMG X series) closes the gap a bit more... but I've always preferred the Blackouts, as they sound less artificial.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Which EMG? There are at least 6 models probably double . I like 85/60 myself, some like 81/85, then there are many other models. I haven't had a lot of experience with the blackouts.

Point is which EMG's, which blackouts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Blackouts have more headroom, similar to running EMGs at 18V, which allows them to respond and behave more dynamically (read: more like passives).

This is a subjectively good or bad thing, it's up to you if you want that or not.

A lot of people like Blackouts because they add just enough dynamics, instead of EMGs X offerings, which seem to be less popular. EMG X do what Blackouts try to do better in almost every way, but maybe they're just too far from what makes an active an active to really catch on.

The new EMG 57/66 seem to be massively popular, and they are (as far as I can guess) an evolution of the Het Set, which (to my ears) sound pretty much exactly like the 81X/60X set.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X