hi whats up

im sure many of you know Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways classic

i love the song and always started my my rehearsal with it

but im not satisfied with tone some said its all in the marshall amp he used im using yamha ga-15 and some say its a distortion pedal any idea guys ?
i think he was pretty big on the Rangemaster treble booster to push his amps!

edit: upon looking up your amp i have to retract my previous statement in favour of the classic: What you really want is a new amp...
I think a boosted up marshall was his sorta sound, and making great faces whilst playing should help
Last edited by jaybals at Oct 4, 2013,
His 'classic' tone is a Marshall Guv'nor and a Quadraverb (and a JTM45),

Basically, a cranked British voiced amp with a coloured boost up front (preferably something with good bass responce) and a lush ambient sounding reverb, nice and simple
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by jaybals
i think he was pretty big on the Rangemaster treble booster to push his amps!

edit: upon looking up your amp i have to retract my previous statement in favour of the classic: What you really want is a new amp...
I think a boosted up marshall was his sorta sound, and making great faces whilst playing should help

"and making great faces" dude you made my day

yeah i dont have the budget for a marshall right now
Quote by CodeMonk

Waiting for Cathbard to show up...

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by nirvana_n_roses
"and making great faces" dude you made my day

yeah i dont have the budget for a marshall right now

what is your budget?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
You're not going to get the cranked marshall sound completely, but this dutch pedalbuilder Dr. No makes some great effects, including one that emulates Gary's sound (and a bunch of other sounds, if you like tweaking knobs... I know I do.). Also, his pedals are mighty pretty.

http://drno-effects.com/products/more-gary/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxp6YZq7SxI
Tell me who's that writin'...
Last edited by Kylianvb at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by CodeMonk
He had his Marshall turned up all the way.

+2
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by jaybals
Best option is tell us your budget, location, current gear and i'm sure we can help find you the best option!
That, and wait for cathbard as said...

im now low on budget ( paid for my college and my car service ) but i can save around 300 dollars in the next 2 months location im in bahrain just came from ARAMEX i opened an account there still waiting for there email they will give me address in USA UK china ..... so ordering online will be easy and les expensive for me the shops here in bahrain take advantage and the sell items very expensive price for example a classic wah wah cry baby price here is 171 USD and my current gear is a Jay Turser JT-220D guitar and a yamaha g-15 amp no pedals no effects but im planing to buy one and thats why im here to get a experts advice
Quote by CodeMonk
He had his Marshall turned up all the way.

Waiting for Cathbard to show up

what dose that mean ?
Quote by Kylianvb
You're not going to get the cranked marshall sound completely, but this dutch pedalbuilder Dr. No makes some great effects, including one that emulates Gary's sound (and a bunch of other sounds, if you like tweaking knobs... I know I do.). Also, his pedals are mighty pretty.

http://drno-effects.com/products/more-gary/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxp6YZq7SxI

wow sound great any idea about the price ?

and is that jack black loool
that's a tough tone to duplicate as it's heard on the original recording. Les Paul for starters that song features the peter green guitar which is a tone monster in itself. some kind of distortion pedal will help but there is no way your amp is gonna nail that sound. pretty sure gary used a marshall on that one. getting that sustained note is brutal hard to nail so don't feel bad if you can't many have tried and failed. that tone is one of the holy grails for gary fans (me included).
Quote by nirvana_n_roses
wow sound great any idea about the price ?

and is that jack black loool

Heh, just don't comment that on youtube; Fans of this guys' videos are a little tired of hearing that.

Also, it's 280 dollars here.
http://rebel-guitars.com/drno-effects-more-gary/
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by monwobobbo
that's a tough tone to duplicate as it's heard on the original recording. Les Paul for starters that song features the peter green guitar which is a tone monster in itself. some kind of distortion pedal will help but there is no way your amp is gonna nail that sound. pretty sure gary used a marshall on that one. getting that sustained note is brutal hard to nail so don't feel bad if you can't many have tried and failed. that tone is one of the holy grails for gary fans (me included).

yeah its a unique tone i think i need gary's hand for that

im still searching for a pedal iknow it will not give the same but any thing to help getting closer

thanks brother
Quote by nirvana_n_roses

what dose that mean ?

maybe we gotta send the signal?

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by nirvana_n_roses
yeah its a unique tone i think i need gary's hand for that

im still searching for a pedal iknow it will not give the same but any thing to help getting closer

thanks brother

tube amp or go home dude. sorry but that tone requires tubes for sure. what guitar are you using? your amp is a basic practice amp right? not great for trying to get that kind of one gary's sound is tough to get (I've been working on his strat sound from the early 80s for ages. even with a nice strat and a tube amp not there yet. you might try an EH Metal Muff as that gets an acceptable sound through small practice amps. won't nail it but will work ok
Depends on the version. Studio version was a cranked JTM45, live was two cranked DSL100's. As far as I can tell the second DSL was kicked in to get the feedback required for that note. You will notice that only one amp was miked up, the other is for his feedback.
His overdrive was a Mk1 Marshall Guv'nor and his reverb came from an Alesis Quadraverb.

Edit: His speakers of choice were EV's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 6, 2013,
Quote by nirvana_n_roses

what dose that mean ?

Cathbard regularly gives good advice, especially relating to amps... Also I just youtubed parisienne walkways and loved it so cheers TS.
Quote by monwobobbo
tube amp or go home dude. sorry but that tone requires tubes for sure. what guitar are you using? your amp is a basic practice amp right? not great for trying to get that kind of one gary's sound is tough to get (I've been working on his strat sound from the early 80s for ages. even with a nice strat and a tube amp not there yet. you might try an EH Metal Muff as that gets an acceptable sound through small practice amps. won't nail it but will work ok

yeah my amp is yamaha g-15 (it comes with the yamaha starter package ) and my guitar is Jay Turser JT-220D

thanks for the advice and the EH Metal Muff is on my list but i still couldn't decide witch pedal i buy
Quote by Cathbard
Depends on the version. Studio version was a cranked JTM45, live was two cranked DSL100's. As far as I can tell the second DSL was kicked in to get the feedback required for that note. You will notice that only one amp was miked up, the other is for his feedback.
His overdrive was a Mk1 Marshall Guv'nor and his reverb came from an Alesis Quadraverb.

Edit: His speakers of choice were EV's.

the legendary Cathbard everybody was talking about

thats some advanced gear so im not gonna get the tone playing through my practice amp

thanks mate
Quote by 7thString
Cathbard regularly gives good advice, especially relating to amps... Also I just youtubed parisienne walkways and loved it so cheers TS.

yeah i got reference now

glad you liked it
The amp is key but most Marshallesque tube amps will get you close if you run them hard with a decent overdrive in front of it. I get pretty close with a modded JCM900. At one time Gary used a Soldano SLO. It sounded different but was still recognisably Gary.
The trick is largely in the way he bent notes. Gary was the king of the bend, he hardly ever held a a note that wasn't bent and often bent three steps. The big feedback note on Parisienne Walkways is a D bent up to E on the 2nd string.
On a budget I'd be looking at Jet City amps. A JCA22 would get you in the ballpark. Shove an old Marshall Guv'nor in front of it and crank the amp volume as hard as it will go - and practice, practice, practice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 7, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The amp is key but most Marshallesque tube amps will get you close if you run them hard with a decent overdrive in front of it. I get pretty close with a modded JCM900. At one time Gary used a Soldano SLO. It sounded different but was still recognisably Gary.
The trick is largely in the way he bent notes. Gary was the king of the bend, he hardly ever held a a note that wasn't bent and often bent three steps. The big feedback note on Parisienne Walkways is a D bent up to E on the 2nd string.
On a budget I'd be looking at Jet City amps. A JCA22 would get you in the ballpark. Shove an old Marshall Guv'nor in front of it and crank the amp volume as hard as it will go - and practice, practice, practice.

Sometines 2 SLOs, '90 Montreux Jazz Fesrival!
Gary always had at least two amps on stage - and usually a third that was there just in case one blew.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Gary could've used an MG and still blow your mind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There are a couple of models of these that can sound close through the right cabinet.
http://valvetone.com.au/

Somewhat hard to obtain outside of Australia I imagine...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Cathbard

a new amp is on my list maybe 6 months from now i checked the A JCA22 on ebay and the price is reasonable to me 399usd = 150 bahrini DINAR now i got 60 dinar (which im saving for a pedal) the only problem is that i cant check the amp before i buy it so i have to do a heavy researches and read a lot of reviews or wait for the local shop here since he is dealing with fender and Marshall