(not sure if this is in the right subforum or not- mods feel free to move it )
So i've been needing some headphones ever since my old ones broke, and i need some advice.

My budget is around £50-£80 (roughly $80-$130). Cannot go higher than £80.
I will mainly be listening to thrash metal, hard rock, shred and classical music. I know classical music is quite far removed from the others, but it is imperative that this sounds good.

I will also listen to a bit of softer rock, indie, rap, jazz and pop, but these are not too important. I get the feeling I am going to need quite a versatile set.

They need to be as comfortable as possible when worn for long periods (4-5 or more hours) of time.

They MUST be either over ear or on ear- no earbuds or in ear headphones please.
Also, it would be appreciated if they were not too hideous- obviously sound and comfort come first, but i would like a good looking pair if possible.

All answers appreciated.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

anyone?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

I use Sennheiser HD201s. Cheaper than you're asking, but they do a great job for budget headphones. I'd recommend the brand, but as you have more to spend you can get a higher range set.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
thanks Gary.
any view on the Creative Aurvana Live or Live2?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

HD201s would be my pick too. They may only be £20 but they're some of my favourite cans out there.

Not tried to Creative stuff but it sounds like it'll do a pretty good job. I really don't know whether the ~£50 increase over the cheap Sennheisers is really justified though.

It's really important to remember more expensive does not automatically equal better with headphones (or most things really).
Nope, never tried them!

TBH, I chose the Sennheisers because they were cheap & well recommended - I didn't shop around at all other than reading reviews & seeing recommendations in other threads on UG.

They do a great job though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
thanks kyle and gary, the senhiessers do look live the best option- only thing is they are hideous!
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

Quote by randomguy2000

I think you missed the point about not just assuming more expensive = better

The reason I recommended the HD201s is because your budget is a bit of a 'no mans' land' for headphones.

At around £100 you start to get the really good stuff (Grados, Beyerdynamics etc), and under £30 you get the great bargains (a few Sennheiser and Superlux models in particular).
The £40-£80 price segment is just 'in between' stuff - maybe a little better than the cheap ones but not necessarily enough to justify the extra cash.

Out of those two I'd pick the HD429 by a mile.
^yeah true i see what you mean
but the thing is, it's a gift from my mum and while i tried to tell her i don't need anything too expensive, she insists that she gets a nice pair! she genuinely feels offended if i ask for a cheaper pair!
how about the sennheiser hd518's? vs the 429? only £5-10 extra...
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

The headphones I got with my Creative mp3 player 8 years ago were better than any of the headphones I find in mobile phones and mp3 players today, so I don't think you could ever go wrong if you buy their stuff.

I used to work with a pair of Sony MDR-V500 I got for something like £35 on amazon.uk some years ago, and I can definitely recommend them for the price.

I'd have a look at Sony's mid-range stuff too, like the MDR7506/7520.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
thanks for chiming in!
how do you guys reckon sony's offerings would compare with sennheiser's at my budget? and which model of headphones should i look for from the respective companies?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

anyone?
Sony MDR7506 vs Sennheiser HD518's for my styles?
I definitiley prefer the closed back design of the Sony's but if the the sennheiser's sound better....
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly