Hey guys, I'm currently on the hunt for a small (up to 50 or 60W) head amp mainly for high gain metal. I'm currently playing stuff like Amon Amarth, Tesseract, Dark Tranquillity, Revocation, etc.

I'm gassing mostly for the EVH 5153, Peavy 6505+ 112 (modded to a head, of course), Laney Ironheart Studio or 60W... that's what I've looked into so far. What would be your pick? Anything else I should check out?

EDIT: I forgot to add - I have no price limit, I'll save up to whatever is needed.
Guitars: ESP LTD EX401-DX, Epi Explorer 1984, Schecter C-1 FR-S Platinum
Effects: a bunch
Amps: Crate Vintage Club 5310, Peave 6505+ 112
Last edited by The_Bozz at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by The_Bozz
Hey guys, I'm currently on the hunt for a small (up to 50 or 60W) head amp mainly for high gain metal. I'm currently playing stuff like Amon Amarth, Tesseract, Dark Tranquillity, Revocation, etc.

I'm gassing mostly for the EVH 5153, Peavy 6505+ 112 (modded to a head, of course), Laney Ironheart Studio or 60W... that's what I've looked into so far. What would be your pick? Anything else I should check out?

Well.... If you've already picked a few out then just go to the store and try them out. What does it matter what I pick?
Also it's very hard to suggest you stuff without any knowledge of your budget and area/store you purchasing from.

Like I could recommend the Krankenstien 20 watt. Its in your ball park but In the uk Kranks are expensive so are Mesa's. Get what I'm say?

Those amp you have picked are suitable enough for what you need and general do the same thing. Just go to the store that supplies them and try them out maybe bring your guitar rather then use one in the shop and maybe some friend or anyone with good knowledge to help. But you seem to know what your doing I don't know why you bothered with a forum post, This place is kinda terrible.
Get a 6505+ combo put a v30
in it get a eq and a boost pedal
example tubescreamer style
or clean boost your choice and
your pretty set I run a bbe sonic
Maximiser as well.
Quote by RJH11
Get a 6505+ combo put a v30
in it get a eq and a boost pedal
example tubescreamer style
or clean boost your choice and
your pretty set I run a bbe sonic
Maximiser as well.

That's a good choice. And you can also covert it to a head if you wanted too if you have a nice cabinet. I may get one to convert later on since they're so affordable.

EVH 5150 III is nice but you are in a different price range with that.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by itsonlyauser
Well.... If you've already picked a few out then just go to the store and try them out. What does it matter what I pick?
Also it's very hard to suggest you stuff without any knowledge of your budget and area/store you purchasing from.

Like I could recommend the Krankenstien 20 watt. Its in your ball park but In the uk Kranks are expensive so are Mesa's. Get what I'm say?

Those amp you have picked are suitable enough for what you need and general do the same thing. Just go to the store that supplies them and try them out maybe bring your guitar rather then use one in the shop and maybe some friend or anyone with good knowledge to help. But you seem to know what your doing I don't know why you bothered with a forum post, This place is kinda terrible.

I know what you're saying... I've been investigating for a while. The thing is, I can't try most of them because I live in a third world country. I have to import most of my choices except the Ironheart. Also, I forgot about the budget limit, because I don't have one: I'll save up to whatever I choose.
Stiff Amplification is the Krank Rev Jr, K-stein Jr and 1980 Jr renamed. They come in both a 20 watt and 50 watt version. They start at $500ish new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by The_Bozz
I know what you're saying... I've been investigating for a while. The thing is, I can't try most of them because I live in a third world country. I have to import most of my choices except the Ironheart. Also, I forgot about the budget limit, because I don't have one: I'll save up to whatever I choose.

Have you ever seen Hellraider before? They're from Chile, they do a bunch of old school thrash covers.

Also look into the Mesa Single Rectifier 50w head.. They also have a Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt 100w and 50w in one head.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Single-Rectifier-Solo-50-Head-Series-2-tube-guitar-amp-amplifier-/141072953704
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 4, 2013,
Randall is also pumping out new Diavlo heads with some Mike Fortins wizardry sprinkled on top. So far reception has been very positive from what I have been reading and listening last couple of nights. And then there is Jet City heads + tubescreamer combo if you want to go cheap.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If you seriously have no price limit... Why not save up for a triple rectifier or something?
Also the Mini Rectifier at 25watts is really loud...
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 5, 2013,
Also check some oranges!
The Terror series, and the Jim Root Terror in particular may be what you're looking for.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Paddynbob
If you seriously have no price limit... Why not save up for a triple rectifier or something?

Size and wattage. I want something portable and I firmly believe that almost no one needs more than 50 watts nowadays.
EVH is just a terrific amp. I'd recommend it over a lot of things. I tried the Ironheart before I got my EVH and I found too many unusable tones out of the 60w. The Studio might be a bit better. Both are cheaper than the EVH. Prefer it to all the 6505 series too but this is just my opinion. Either the EVH, Peavey or Laney will work for you, but I do know that Revocation are using the EVH amps at the moment.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
I do know that Revocation are using the EVH amps at the moment.

Yeah, I googled their gear a little while back. Dave is using a 5150 III and Dan is using a 6505+. Since I believe the smaller versions (5150 Mini and 6505+ 112) should sound similar to their bigger brothers, I sent a message to them through Facebook hoping they can give me their opinion. Of course I don't have high hopes about they themselves responding, but who knows? Hah.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Stiff Amplification is the Krank Rev Jr, K-stein Jr and 1980 Jr renamed. They come in both a 20 watt and 50 watt version. They start at $500ish new

I just emailed Tony Krank asking for a recommendation (I also need to know if they ship to Chile).
Quote by The_Bozz
I just emailed Tony Krank asking for a recommendation (I also need to know if they ship to Chile).

I'm sure they will.

I have the Krank 1980 Jr and it is a loud 20 watts. I play in prog metal and in punk/hardcore band that are both pretty loud and it keeps up just fine. It even has a good clean channel. But it is more of a HR Marshall tone

You will do better with the Stiff Fist-pump or the Dirt-Head. These are basically the Krank Rev Jr and Krankenstein Jr .

If you can afford the 50 watt model, get it. But the 20 watt will be good enough for most situations.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dlowe102
Ive got to try a 1980 jr. sounds like I would dig it.

Yeah they are great amps if you don't need modern metal tones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate