So, I ordered the Matt Heafy Signature 7-string Les Paul. Can anyone recommend any songs I should learn on a 7-string? Been playing for about 7 years and this is my first 7 string guitar. Could anyone recommend some songs I could learn on this new axe? Obviously, I love Trivium, but I also listen to the likes of Periphery, Born Of Osiris, to be honest I listen to all sorts of music, so even if there are any 7 string songs that aren't metal, that would help me get used to this extra string, something that will help me develop my technique? Any help would be much appreciated.
Couple of artists come to mind:

Trivium is the obvious choice. Their whole Shogun album is a love letter to seven string guitars and is a great starting place.

Scale the Summit regularly use 7 strings. They're really technical, so I'd only tackle one or two songs of theirs at a time.

Tony Macalpine is a shred guitarist with some sick classical and jazz influence. Again, he's really technical, but the satisfaction of nailing some of those solo lines makes all that practice worth it.
Scar Symmetry - The Anomaly, The Ghost Prototypes, Holographic Universe, A Parenthesis in Eternity, Trapezoid...
Last edited by Facecut at Oct 4, 2013,
There's a thread dedicated to suggesting songs for people in MT. You'll get more/better responses there.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Jeff loomis is great for learning cool 7 string stuff, check out the song jato unit. I would reccomend some of obscura's new songs, check out the song Vortex Omnivium. Have fun shredding and riffing away.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
Take a look at Nevermore, Tesseract, Periphery, Dream Theater, Unearth, Trivium and Epica. Some Animals as Leaders stuff is playable on a 7 too.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by iain.g.davies
If you like learning 7 string stuff you have to check out Endeavour. Prog metal band from the UK, just released their debut record 'From The Darkest Grounds'.

You should learn this track, 'Drowning Memory' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbofnj2UxQY

www.facebook.com/EndeavourMetal

... You necrobumped a thread from 9 months ago to do the most thinly veiled advertisement for your band ever?

There's a forum for that, go post in Promote Your Band.

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.