Hello everyone I been running a 6505 for the past like 5 years and I really want to switch and get a good marshall overdrive tone for metal. I run a maxon od808 no matter what and I'm planning on matching the overdrive/gain to around what I have Just wanted a few opinions compared to the tone wise I'm planning on the 210h I really like having the great tone and all the options I can really need for od options but I have heared the 800 tone is just pure unrivaled so I'm asking is it really worth the extra cash and running just a single channel with limited options? open to all opinions thanks

Jim
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
What KIND of metal? JCM800s need a boost to get to thrash or heavier.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
like i said I'm running a maxon od808 no matter what. Like new age thrash style metal so if the 800 isn't enough then just another reason i should go with the 210
My Gear:
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
What is your budget? $1k can get you pretty close to a splawn quickrod. You would need a cab though if you don't have one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A JVM would be really overkill IMO. Look at the JCM2000 DSL and TSL amps, and the JCM900 SL-X.

You really need to try a JCM800 before you pull the trigger on them. They're legendary amps, but I'm hesitant to recommend them to most people. They are pretty old (design/feature wise), and they do not have nearly as much gain as people think they do. They're really very similar to a JMP (Plexi).

I'm not exactly sure what kind of sound you mean by "modern thrash" (list some bands please), but I think a DSL will probably get you there.

Look at the TSL and SL-X for really evil nastiness like a British take on 6505 level of gain. I really love the SL-X in particular, it's noisy and a bit crude, but it can get some really sick tones.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 5, 2013,
The JCM800 tone is going to have more of a vintage feel to it, even once its been boosted. The JVM210h has a much more modern tone. I would say that with what you're describing, you should probably go with the 210, although you may also want to look into the JCM2000DSL, which has a bit rougher sound in the higher gain stages which would be perfect for thrash.
After 6505 you will be disappointed with marhsalls in metal tone, why even bother
Newer thrash is my forté as far as music taste goes and I tried out the JVM finding it to be waaayyy too muddy through a 1960A stock cab. I'd shoot for the Kerry King signature JCM800. Run your boost into that and you'll be better off than a JVM imo.

I never did try the JVM with a boost, but I don't think your maxon would tighten it up enough to get the newer thrash sound. You'd have to buy an EQ as well as running your overdrive and cut the lowest frequencies.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Not a fan of the JVM. Too 'fake' sounding for lack of a better way of saying it.

Higher'ish budget: Splawn Quick Rod
Lower'ish budget: JCM2000 DSL or a JCM800 2203/2204

all used of course

new? - I can think of other stuff that will probably work

Quote by Reages
After 6505 you will be disappointed with marhsalls in metal tone, why even bother

Look at the JCM 2000 DSL or the Krank 1980 both are great amps and run $500-$700 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

new? - I can think of other stuff that will probably work

Jet City y'all!

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A band I am trying to get closest to without having their tone is Sylosis. To me that is the holy grail of tones. I hate to see everyone telling me the 210 isn't that great since I ended up ordering one I do have 30 days to decide if I like it atleast. But I was hell bent on getting a jcm800 untill I noticed sylosis using a 410h recording one of their albums which is what lead me down the affordable 210h route I am also planning on switching cabs from a 1960A to a 1960tv for that extra low end. As I said earlier I'm new to marshall amps I been running my 6505+/1960a setup for a long time now and With all the overdrive options Hopefully it turns out decent. I'm open to all opinions if you know the band sylosis then you already know what type of overdrive I'm searching for and why I am planning to dump the peavey lol.
My Gear:
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
If you want extra low-end, look at the MF280 or MF400 cabs. These are the same size as the TV, but the 280 has V30L speakers and the 400 has K100's. The 1960tv has G12m25's which are not real bass heavy.

Used they are $350, they come in an A and B cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They key to Sylosis' heavy tone is the studio tracking they do and their inverted power chords. They admit the only reason they sound so heavy is their inverted power chords because they like to play in standard. I've seen them live and can say they do kick colossal arse. There's no reason you couldn't nail their tone with the 6505, but if Josh is running a JVM then just remember you'll need to boost it with the OD and probably use an EQ in the loop too.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
This may interest you: http://www.uberproaudio.com/forum/requests-and-research/759-josh-middleton-from-sylosis-rig

According to that, they're using 2205s, Plexis, and Orange Thunderverbs. You can pretty much rule out the first two for every day, turn on the amp and get heavy tone use, so you may want to look at a Thunderverb. They are balls expensive in the US, but Orange's flagship amps are so, so sweet.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X