Detecting a Facebook user's age, gender and personality from status updates

Wired: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/03/facebook-language-study
upenn: http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/news/penn-researchers-use-facebook-data-predict-users-age-gender-and-personality-traits
Journal paper: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0073791

Quote by Wired
In the largest ever study of language use and personality, researchers have discovered that it's possible to determine a Facebook user's gender from the language of their status updates, with a 92 percent success rate.

A group of psychology and computer science researchers from the University of Pennsylvania got 75,000 people to voluntarily complete a personality questionnaire, and then analysed the linguistic patterns that occurred in the the volunteers' Facebook language. From there, they generated computer models that could accurately predict the age, gender and personality traits (as determined by their questionnaire responses).

Not only were the result of the study, published in the journal PLOS ONE, accurate enough to be able to predict the users' gender, but they could be used to correctly identify a volunteer's age within three years more than half of the time. Personality predictions were slightly less accurate, but "are nearly as good as using a person"s questionnaire results from one day to predict their answers to the same questionnaire on another day," says H. Andrew Schwartz, lead author of the study.

I think this is pretty cool. I mean, it seems like an obvious thing you can do intuitively by yourself, but I always find it interesting when someone teaches a computer to do an intuitive thing like this, and to see some of the (possibly useless) uses for giant datasets like facebook's.

I also lold at the neckbeard chart:
Quote by captainsnazz
Follow up paper: study of facebook status language determines that all people are piss annoying.

Don't need a paper to realise that >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm still not sure why "gaming" is on there. I mean, people post statuses about games, sure, but who actually posts saying something like "Maaan, I sure love me some gaming dx dx dx"?

Also why is hindi in there?
🙈 🙉 🙊
what about people who don't post on their facebook at all? categorise me pls
Quote by raoooos
what about people who don't post on their facebook at all? categorise me pls

Introverted brony.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Introverted brony.

The sad thing is, I only ever post a status if people will actually care to read it.

Which is never.

;_;
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The sad thing is, I only ever post a status if people will actually care to read it.

Which is never.

;_;

Dw mate, I would care to read it.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by entity0009
Both of those groups in that image made me cringe.

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Best words in the introvert part:

Anime
Manga
Pokemon
Japanese
Sigh
Gaming
Wikipedia
Metal
Final Fantasy
Dr Who
Depression
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 5, 2013,
Party or anime... glad I'm an extrovert.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by StewieSwan
Best words in the introvert part:

Anime
Manga
Pokemon
Japanese
Sigh
Gaming
Wikipedia
Metal
Final Fantasy
Dr Who
Depression

I'm really surprised Fedora isn't in the introvert part
Quote by StewieSwan
Depression

I was wondering how that particular word could even be brought up in a status.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
I was wondering how that particular word could even be brought up in a status.

"Depression and insomnia again tonight. Sigh. Should I read some manga or watch a few episodes of Bleach? Decision decisions v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v"

Quote by darkcheef
I'm really surprised Fedora isn't in the introvert part

I'm even more surprised there's no variant of pony in there.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
"Depression and insomnia again tonight. Sigh. Should I read some manga or watch a few episodes of Bleach? Decision decisions v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v v( " )v"

I'm even more surprised there's no variant of pony in there.

T__T

Yeah, plus no brohoofs or /)*(\.
West Ham United
soooo, ladies...party on the beach tonight? im soooooo doin some boys

COWER IN THE SHADOW OF MY ALPHA
🙈 🙉 🙊