I study music and wanted to take a class of composition aswell.
Since the previous students weren't so great he gave me a task.
I needed to write a composition using only 5 notes: C, E, F#, G, Bb.
If it's good he'll accept me.
I wrote a piece for solo guitar.

But there's a story that goes with it.

It starts at home, it's boring (same intervals, nothing special).
Then he plays E, F# and G.
This triggers the Butterfly Effect and in the blink of an eye he's in a very different world where he dances. But he isn't thinking about what he's doing and accidently plays that interval again at 1:13). He tries to correct it but it's too late.
He's then in lonely world (Baptism of solitude) at 1:19.
He sings and thinks about what happened, and then forces that interval (1:45) and slowly the world changes again.
He finds himself in a very happy world (Pursuit of happiness) 1:55.
That happy life moves way too fast and even though he plays the interval separately it still triggers the Butterfly Effect.
At 2:39 he's sick of it and plays the interval alot and at 2:54 he just wants to go back home.
He's trying to think what boring interval and rythm he repeated back home.
He finds it at 3:24 but then he realizes that he's too lonely there and doesn't like home at all.
So he plays the interval again, but this time nothing happens.

http://soundcloud.com/electric-tear/the-butterfly-effect
Hey there,
this is some good stuff, but some of the transitions are really awkward. Every of the movements somehow ends on a slightly dissonant chord, and while that works at the transition at the intro and the one at 2.36, the others feel very abrupt. An example is the fast melody that ends at 1.14, that chord just slaps the fast, almost staccato melody into the face.
Then the next melody has to pick up the pace established in the previous movement again, which I guess is maybe what you wanted for your story as a sense of crossing between worlds, but purely musically speaking sounds strange.

The part beginning at 3.20 might be also slightly too long, lasting 50 seconds and given the fact the first part of the composition sounds similar, then becomes the same melody.

Now don't take this as a thrashing, I really liked what you made here! Since you were essentially given a minor pentatonic scale with an augmented second and third, you didn't have a very user-friendly set of notes. Despite that you did some really cool stuff here, and thus I salute you. I would, if I were you, consider how much the story of the composition will matter to the ones that will listen to it to determine whether you get accepted. They will probably only focus on the musical side of things, so I'd advise you to review your piece and redo the transitions not to sound so sudden and strange. A little melodic fill is very capable of changing, directing the mood. Use that to your advantage.

You have some very good movements, hindered by some weird milestones. Currently, the song is good. But the teachers will more readily accept someone who goes smoothly, if not seamlessly, from one musical phrase to the next. With a little improvement on about 10-15% of the stuff, you will not have a good piece, but a great one.

Sorry for the long post. And maybe the teacher won't be as nitpicky as me, but one never knows, right?
Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Navi_96 at Oct 5, 2013,
toine,
I was waiting to see if a butterfly flapping its wings in Belgium would set off a hurricane on the other side of the world. This sounds more like sampled guitar being triggered by MIDI than real guitar at times. It is interesting, though I don't like when the the same note plays dozens of times in a row. Some parts sound pretty cool. Perhaps you could review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1617055
Quote by Navi_96
Hey there,
this is some good stuff, but some of the transitions are really awkward. Every of the movements somehow ends on a slightly dissonant chord, and while that works at the transition at the intro and the one at 2.36, the others feel very abrupt. An example is the fast melody that ends at 1.14, that chord just slaps the fast, almost staccato melody into the face.
Then the next melody has to pick up the pace established in the previous movement again, which I guess is maybe what you wanted for your story as a sense of crossing between worlds, but purely musically speaking sounds strange.

The part beginning at 3.20 might be also slightly too long, lasting 50 seconds and given the fact the first part of the composition sounds similar, then becomes the same melody.

Now don't take this as a thrashing, I really liked what you made here! Since you were essentially given a minor pentatonic scale with an augmented second and third, you didn't have a very user-friendly set of notes. Despite that you did some really cool stuff here, and thus I salute you. I would, if I were you, consider how much the story of the composition will matter to the ones that will listen to it to determine whether you get accepted. They will probably only focus on the musical side of things, so I'd advise you to review your piece and redo the transitions not to sound so sudden and strange. A little melodic fill is very capable of changing, directing the mood. Use that to your advantage.

You have some very good movements, hindered by some weird milestones. Currently, the song is good. But the teachers will more readily accept someone who goes smoothly, if not seamlessly, from one musical phrase to the next. With a little improvement on about 10-15% of the stuff, you will not have a good piece, but a great one.

Sorry for the long post. And maybe the teacher won't be as nitpicky as me, but one never knows, right?
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the long review! I'll take "note" of what you said

Last night i got soms new inspiration and made a piece for 3 guitars, with the same notes. I focused on rythm and transition this time, and i think i pulled it off.
Care to take a listen?https://soundcloud.com/electric-tear/composition-1
Last edited by toine at Oct 6, 2013,
Quote by aaron aardvark
This sounds more like sampled guitar being triggered by MIDI than real guitar at times.

Maybe it's composed in Guitar Pro? I use it, and some vibrato notes sound similar to the vibrato effect GP creates, but GP has some decent soundbanks, so I don't really find it that distracting.

Quote by toine
Thanks for the long review! I'll take "note" of what you said

Last night i got soms new inspiration and made a piece for 3 guitars, with the same notes. I focused on rythm and transition this time, and i think i pulled it off.
Care to take a listen? http://soundcloud.com/electric-tear/composition

Heeey, this one is very cool! You made the quick stops work really well in the second part! Also, the part between roughly 0.30 and 1.00 gave a sweet Dream Theater vibe . My two thumbs up are being given

Also listened to Stalker's Eye on your Soundcloud.... Ambiental and scary! Gotta give the rest of your stuff a listen sometime!
Quote by Navi_96
Maybe it's composed in Guitar Pro? I use it, and some vibrato notes sound similar to the vibrato effect GP creates, but GP has some decent soundbanks, so I don't really find it that distracting.

Heeey, this one is very cool! You made the quick stops work really well in the second part! Also, the part between roughly 0.30 and 1.00 gave a sweet Dream Theater vibe . My two thumbs up are being given

Also listened to Stalker's Eye on your Soundcloud.... Ambiental and scary! Gotta give the rest of your stuff a listen sometime!

Hey thanks alot!I really appreciate your comment. Yeah, i like to make ambient/noise stuff aswell!
toine,
It never ceases to amaze me how subjective music is to everyone, yet that is not a bad thing. Life would be more boring if we all only liked the same exact songs. While I thought some of the notes were somewhat discordant to me, they might be pleasing to others. At the same time, I didn't find any of the transitions to be awkward, so it is interesting how different things bug different people. I don't think it is inherently wrong to use something like GP5. Lately, I have been posting a lot of music with no real guitar. Sometimes sampled guitar can sound interesting to me. Though when the same sample is played back very quickly, it can sound like a CD is malfunctioning (though I know some bands, do this on purpose). That would be tricky to be limited to only 5 notes; I wouldn't like being restricted like that. But that is just me. Could be an interesting challenge to others I suppose.
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Oct 6, 2013,