Hey guys, lately I've been trying to sell my Les Paul which would leave me with only one guitar -- my Schecter Blackjack V1. It has SD Blackouts, which I truly enjoy. However, I don't often use the neck pup except for cleans. I will probably miss the cleans that my LP provides with its lower output passive pups. So I was wondering if Seymour Duncan makes a lower output active neck pup. I see that they make the Livewire pup, but I don't know if that would be any "cooler" than my blackout. I really want to keep a blackout in the bridge. Do I need to look at EMGs?

**Edit: I suppose I should add that I like warm, thick, and dark cleans as opposed to bright and zingy. I am playing into a 6505+ which makes that hard to attain anyway -- but my Les Paul can do it. However, I see that somebody just bid on my LP so I'm now definitely going to be down to one guitar. I can get by with the Blackout pup by turning my volume knob down a bit, but I never had to do that with my LP, and the Blackout was never as warm and thick as my stock Epiphone humbucker.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 5, 2013,
A lot of Epiphone's and ESP's own active pickups tend to have excellent cleans, but sound muddy through distortion. I haven't changed the pickups out of my EC330 because the clean sound is better than any of my other guitars. They're the ESP Designed ALH-200 pickups if you want to look for them used.

Just keep in mind that you're sacrificing your distorted sound though. Maybe sacrifice is a bit harsh of a word since it'd still sound decent enough, but you get what I mean.
^^Well, to clarify, I really don't use the neck pickup while distorted very often at all. When I'm playing both rhythm and lead lines I vastly prefer the attack and bite of the bridge pup. But when I switch my amp over to the clean channel, I also switch to the neck pup. I play mostly extreme metal but I like my cleans to be warm and haunting with a lot of reverb/delay/slight chorus on top.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^Well, to clarify, I really don't use the neck pickup while distorted very often at all. When I'm playing both rhythm and lead lines I vastly prefer the attack and bite of the bridge pup. But when I switch my amp over to the clean channel, I also switch to the neck pup. I play mostly extreme metal but I like my cleans to be warm and haunting with a lot of reverb/delay/slight chorus on top.

In that case, those pickups I mentioned would be nice ones to check out. If you're having no luck finding them, give the EMG 66 neck pickup a shot.
if you just want less output then you can lower the neck pickup, the distance from the pickup to the string is a determining factor is the amount of output the pickup has. the further the pickup is from the string the less output the pickup will provide.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
this thread has got me curious as to what would happen if instead of using a 9v for EMG's you used 4.5v's... 18v mod in reverse >.>

Quote by rickyj
this thread has got me curious as to what would happen if instead of using a 9v for EMG's you used 4.5v's... 18v mod in reverse >.>

Would sound like EMGs wih low battery level.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by rickyj

less dynamic range/less headroom.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
if you just want less output then you can lower the neck pickup, the distance from the pickup to the string is a determining factor is the amount of output the pickup has. the further the pickup is from the string the less output the pickup will provide.

I have tried that, but it doesn't seem to work that way with active pups. I still get tons of output even with the pup quite low. I've also found that I prefer the sound of them a fair bit lower than where most people say actives should be adjusted. So they are already set about where most people would set passive pickups.
Have you tried the EMG 60? Not really low output but I really like its cleans.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
There is a volume knob on your guitar...

Took the words right out of my mouth,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^^Yes, yes I know. That's how I get by right now. I was just hoping to find an active neck pickup that will provide a warmer, darker tone.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood