Page 1 of 3
So my friend has been in a committed relationship for over two years now and a few months ago his girlfriend left the US to study abroad for half a year. They both wanted to stay together and be in the relationship despite the long distance, but apparently started having problems less than a month after she left because she was going over to this dude's house for dinner and it was implied that wasn't all she was going over there for. So I thought they had broken up, and last night this friend came back drunk from a party, bragging about how he had made out with some random girl. Then someone asked him about his girlfriend, and he stated they were in an open relationship and began talking about how much better it was than conventional relationships and how nobody can physically commit to anyone for life and he started trying to encourage my other friend and his girlfriend to open their relationship up.

In general I don't have any problem with open relationships as long as both people in the relationship are comfortable with everything that happens, but my personal opinion in this particular example is that my friend isn't mature enough to handle his long distance relationship and simply wants to hook up with other people, and I think that's the case for a lot of other relationships that claim to be open. I also think it's incredibly difficult for two people to 100% agree on rules and boundaries for this type of thing, and I think a lot of times people will SAY they're okay with something, but when they witness or hear about their partner doing something they agreed upon they still experience private feelings of jealousy, and that doesn't seem like the basis of a healthy relationship to me.

Anyone ever been in an open relationship? How did it work out?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
↑ #truth
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Jealousy is just another tool of oppression that the patriarchy invented to control women. If you get jealous, you're basically a rape apologist.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
My best friend's 18 year old sister is in a very public open relationship with a 64 year old man.

It's disgusting.

Wow, that's horrible. Even a 64 year old is getting more action than me.
Seems like just an excuse to **** random people.

To be honest, it seems to me that swinging is a better way to go than open relationships
Last edited by -Mantra- at Oct 5, 2013,
Due to either really poor self esteem or really big ego, everyone is better than me or I am better than everyone, I don't have it in me to be jealous.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Duffman123
How could you kiss the mouth that's just sucked another guy's dick?

This sums up the thread for me
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Saying that no one can commit physically to one person for life is so dumb.

People do it all the time, for their whole life. How much evidence do you need? People everywhere stay together forever. Of course lots don't, but there's still a load who do.

The kid just doesn't have much experience, and someone's getting ****ed over in his 'relationship'.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Saying that no one can commit physically to one person for life is so dumb.

People do it all the time, for their whole life. How much evidence do you need? People everywhere stay together forever.

Staying together and being physically faithful for a whole lifetime are different things
We ain't nothin' but mammals.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by Mephaphil
Yea I meant physically. And people do it all the time.

Well how do you know?
I'm in an open relationship,

My wife is very open about the fact that if I cheat on her, she will leave...

Not my business what other people do, but I'll pass.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I've not had a long-distance relationship, but that would be the way that I would do it. I've moved before and had a girlfriend. I just broke up with her because, honestly, it just isn't worth it.
Because I don't suspect everyone of cheating on everyone like some kind of paranoid android. More to the point, how do you know that they have? I see people in loving relationships after 50 years, what makes you think they've cheated on each other, or question their faithfulness?

I have never cheated on my partner, and I'm pretty confident that she hasn't on me. I wouldn't because I wouldn't disrespect and hurt her like that.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by Trowzaa
I couldn't be in an open relationship because jealousy.

Yup.

Might work for some though.
Tell me who's that writin'...
I don't know if I can prescribe what other people should do but I wouldn't want to be in one. It's not just jealousy. I want sex to be something very intimate and personal. For me it would be very hard for an open relationship to get in that same intimate zone as a committed relationship. A lot of people nowadays forget what lasting rewards loyalty, dedication and commitment bring. I don't feel ashamed to say this. I don't think a high number of sex partners is something that is desirable even though a lot of my friends boast of their experience and lady-satisfying potential. For me mind numbing orgasms aren't more important than a nice long relationship where you feel your partner is a rock and there for you 100% in good and bad times.
Also I hate the 'bitches and tricks' and 'player' mentality most young people have. It's just cynical and hypocritical and condones objectifying people for the sake of personal satisfaction.

Also pussy is pussy. I don't feel a difference in the dark. And I'm quite content with my partner when the lights are on. Then why go out and **** other people? It's a waste of time and effort. And you know that deep down it does hurt somewhere that your partner would be out ****ing other people or even falling in love with them.

Also TS; I'm really disappointed that people nowadays consider 6 months without sex to be enough to risk a relationship over...
I mean...I know this is very common and accepted, but then how people like this still think of themselves as 'romantic' is beyond me

/butthurt
Last edited by Divinephyton at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by Philip_pepper
Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.

The quicker you adapt this mindset, the better and easier.

Are you a real human being?

I could never do it personally. More power to anyone that could, but I know for sure I couldn't.
Quote by BelowTheSun
Are you a real human being?

I could never do it personally. More power to anyone that could, but I know for sure I couldn't.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.

The quicker you adapt this mindset, the better and easier.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Wow, that's horrible. Even a 64 year old is getting more action than me.

NOTICE SOMETHING
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
NOTICE SOMETHING

perfect
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I wouldn't bother, tbh. I feel a relationship, where you're committing yourself to one person, not these I'm-going-to-date/do-several-people-at-the-same-time-and-see-what-sticks relationship, is way more healthy if you stick to the whole monogamous thing. If you hate monogamy, then don't do it lol.

I was dating this girl when I left for Basic Training. I had already signed my contract before we got together, and when the time approached we had a talk. It was either we wait for each other, committed, for the 8 months I would be gone for Basic and AIT, or if one of us didn't really feel like doing that, then lets end it now and just be done. I was pretty crazy about her and willing to wait, and so was she. After 8 months of hardly speaking, except the occasional phone call and letter, I returned and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

We've been married for two years this past September, and I'm so thankful I didn't waste this on my libido.
I don't think open relationships don't exist. They're called "friends with benefits".
Last edited by Wormholes at Oct 5, 2013,
I try to be open minded, but I get jealous easily. So I doubt I could be in an open relationship.

Don't really think it matters since Canti will always be forever alone.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by Trowzaa
I couldn't be in an open relationship because jealousy.

Yeah, this.

It's hard enough for me to deal with the guys that have been in my girlfriend's past, I'd never be able to "share" her.

Speaking of, I'm gonna be at the same party as her ex boyfriend tonight so let's see what goes down. Ha.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24
so let's see what goes down. Ha.

Probably her.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
So my friend has been in a committed relationship for over two years now and a few months ago his girlfriend left the US to study abroad for half a year. They both wanted to stay together and be in the relationship despite the long distance, but apparently started having problems less than a month after she left because she was going over to this dude's house for dinner and it was implied that wasn't all she was going over there for. So I thought they had broken up, and last night this friend came back drunk from a party, bragging about how he had made out with some random girl. Then someone asked him about his girlfriend, and he stated they were in an open relationship and began talking about how much better it was than conventional relationships and how nobody can physically commit to anyone for life and he started trying to encourage my other friend and his girlfriend to open their relationship up.

Sounds like your friend is a miserable little faggot who has to constantly try to convince himself and everyone around him that open relationships are better and normal relationships are impossible because he doesn't want to own up to the fact that his girlfriend would rather **** somebody else. If your girlfriend runs off to France or whatever and starts ****ing other guys in only a few weeks maybe it's because you're a worthless generic punk bitch who's not worth waiting around for. The kind of generic punk bitch that goes around bragging about making out with a random girl at a party. Who the hell cares? Real men aren't so insecure that they do goofy high school bullshit like that, they mind their own goddamn business.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Last edited by SkyValley at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by CaptainCanti
I try to be open minded, but I get jealous easily. So I doubt I could be in an open relationship.

Don't really think it matters since Canti will always be forever alone.

What if I told you there was a surefire way to make friends and get laid without being a dishonest prick? Would you be interested?

Ditch the brony shit, and a real life can be yours, for the low low price of ABSOLUTELY FREE. Within minutes of ditching the brony shit, your self-respect will increase, you'll carry yourself with dignity and pride, and people might even like being within a close proximity to you.
Page 1 of 3