Hello, me and one of my friends put out a new song. We were really able to up the bar in my opinion. The mix is tighter then ever, song is good and the video is better then ever. The song is hard to describe but it's a kind of groovy thing with atmospheric layering and stuff.

Check out the song on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRFT4ImKakQ
And be sure to watch it on 1080p

Any tips for improvements in any field would be appreciated because we're really trying to push ourselves to the limit with these things. If you have any tips on writing better songs, making it sound better or making better videos then speak your mind!
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
this is pretty sick! audio and video quality are both great and the songwriting is sick as well man I really enjoyed it. Your other song is great too! You just gained a sub and some likes.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Really good quality, sometimes I feel like in the tapping licks around the 45 second mark could by tighter or panned differently? Seems to not quite be together. I love the riffs though, really awesome syncopation stuff. The layering with the clean motifs and post rock-esque tremolo picking add something really cool and dynamic to the song. I think this song could work with vocals over it. I like the tone, not sure how they'd work in a live setting but the sound of them on the recording is good and fairly cutting. May I suggest more mids and less gain? Have a play around with that and see how it is. In my opinion at the 3:30 mark the lower guitar seems to get a liiiiittle lost in the mix as opposed to previous in the song, if you have a bass guitar in the recording, it's good to turn the bass down on the guitar eq.

Overall really cool recording, keep up the good work! I hope what I tell you, you find informative and constructive Cheers
I dig everything about it. In fact it basically helped me confirm my decision to get a power ball eventually. I think the low end could be tighter it may help if you let the bass guitar take care of it instead of the high gain rhythm guitars.

SPEAKING OF LOW ENDDDDDDDDDDDDDD check out this bass solo: https://soundcloud.com/ryanantlitzmusic/suck-it
woe man, thanks for your review on my track! But man you have somthing really cool here! I really like how you have those harmonies and the synths . make it sound so cool. The guitars and Drums sound perfect great EQing. Very good vibe here.
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for your comments on my Terminator video, I really appreciate the feedback!

I really like the song, and it does a great job of transforming throughout the song to keep the flow exciting and fresh. I know a lot of groups would have a "show-off section" but I like how it turned into an ambient, atmospheric adventure bringing you back to the opeth/meshuggah heaviness in the intro. Really great "orchestration" with different guitar parts and I think that they really compliment each other well.

A few opinions about the mix, I think the treble of the guitars could be turned down slightly. Also, when the mix gets more intricate and especially around 2:00, the dynamics of the drums get a little lost in the mix. This could be due to the final compression of the mix being consistent throughout the whole song, even with the introduction of new elements that make the "un-compressed" volume of the song louder. If this is the case and you agree with me, I would try mastering the drums separately from the other instruments, and then mix it. I could be wrong but this could be something to look into.

Again, I liked the song a lot and you guys obviously put a lot of time and effort in to the song as well as the video production, which was exceptional by the way. Great job!
Oh My God, Seymour Duncan and Mayones just shared our video on their facebook , this is really awesome.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Especially thanks for all the tips you're giving me because all of the stuff you say is rather usefull and mostly things I didn't think of myself.

It's also very pleasing to hear your kind words because a lot of time and ultimately frustration went into this to get it just right. I'm very satisfied with the result though.

@Walpurgis, that's a sick bass solo. I like the dirty chords in the background up untill 0:50. The part at 0:50 reminded me of a Periphery song. I have no idea which one. The harmonies you do are dirty too, I like it. The part at 1:52 is fun too, I like the swing arround from all of that dirty stuff. Nice bass stuff. The background stuff is very interesting too. Did you just find a track to jam to or did you make all of that yourself.

The Powerball is an awesome amp. I own a Powerball 1 (Not the new black model) and I enjoy it very much. The video doesn't really do it any justice, because most of the sound still comes from the LePou plugin, I'm only using the ENGL's crunch to make it feel a bit more real. My cabinet and amp micing skills are still a bit meagre. But it's a really amazing amp and it's very versatile as well. It does some very nice cleans too and I enjoy the crunch myself. It does great in live settings (Altough I haven't played a gig in a long time sadly ), but I still don't know much about on recordings since I am still learning how to mic amps properly.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Quote by pinguinpanic

@Walpurgis, that's a sick bass solo. I like the dirty chords in the background up untill 0:50. The part at 0:50 reminded me of a Periphery song. I have no idea which one. The harmonies you do are dirty too, I like it. The part at 1:52 is fun too, I like the swing arround from all of that dirty stuff. Nice bass stuff. The background stuff is very interesting too. Did you just find a track to jam to or did you make all of that yourself.

The Powerball is an awesome amp. I own a Powerball 1 (Not the new black model) and I enjoy it very much. The video doesn't really do it any justice, because most of the sound still comes from the LePou plugin, I'm only using the ENGL's crunch to make it feel a bit more real. My cabinet and amp micing skills are still a bit meagre. But it's a really amazing amp and it's very versatile as well. It does some very nice cleans too and I enjoy the crunch myself. It does great in live settings (Altough I haven't played a gig in a long time sadly ), but I still don't know much about on recordings since I am still learning how to mic amps properly.

Yeah if someone gave me a real amp to mic up and record I wouldn't know what to do with it lol but still the fact that you could get such a good tone from a computer is still pretty amazing. I guess the fact that you are using nice guitars helps lol. As far as those backing tracks go, I made them but they are just one note arpeggios and free drum samples haha. Ill probably make a lot more because unfortunately my tendonitis (muscular condition) has gotten so bad that I won't be able to play for a while...

Oh and btw nice video quality too It looks like a lot of effort went into that too
Last edited by Walpurgis at Oct 8, 2013,
Thanks for the comments. The gong really added something in my opinion too James_Het_Rules. We were actually going more for a Wherever I may Roam loud powerfull gong, but that didn't work for the song so I made it more of a backgrond thing.

And yes Walpurgis, video shooting was a lot of work. It took two afternoons and one evening to shoot all of the footage needed. And then another two evenings of editing or something. It felt like we had way too much shots, but when the editing started we found out that we didn't enjoy a lot of the shots or that the lighting was off and stuff. Next time I think we'll work with some kind of story board or whatever so that we have to do less shooting and less editing. We had enough materials to show like 8 things at any moment.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4