Page 1 of 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgyny

Quote by Wikipedia
Androgyny refers to the combination of masculine and feminine characteristics. Sexual ambiguity may be found in fashion, gender identity, sexual identity, or sexual lifestyle. It could also refer to biological intersex physicality, especially with regards to plant and human sexuality.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgyny#Contemporary_trends

Quote by Wikipedia
Androgyny has been gaining more prominence in popular culture in the early 21st century.[10] Both fashion industries[11] and pop culture have accepted and even popularised the "androgynous" look, with several current pop stars being hailed as creative trendsetters.

The rise of the metrosexual in the first decade of the 2000s has also been described as a related phenomenon associated with this trend. Traditional gender stereotypes have been challenged and reset in recent years dating back to the 1960s, the hippie movement and flower power. Artists in film such as Leonardo DiCaprio sported the "skinny" look in the 1990s, a departure from traditional masculinity which resulted in a fad known as "Leo Mania."[12] This trend came long after musical superstars such as David Bowie, Boy George, Prince, and Annie Lennox challenged the norms in the 1970s and had elaborate cross gender wardrobes by the 1980s. Musical stars such as Marilyn Manson and the band Placebo have used clothing and makeup to create an androgyny culture throughout the 1990s and the first decade of the 2000s. Manson even appearing genderless in the album cover for Mechanical Animals, showing breasts and no reproductive organs.

One of the earliest celebrities to challenge gender stereotypes was Elvis Presley in the 1950s, whose wardrobe and use of makeup (particularly eye makeup) incited traditionalists to riot. Presley inspired extraordinary artists such as the Beatles (starting with long hair and progressing to full-fledged androgynous dress in life and on stage), the Rolling Stones (particularly Mick Jagger who strongly worked the androgyny angle) during the 1960s. Many other musicians challenged gender stereotypes such as, Jimi Hendrix who wore women's shirts, scarves, high-heeled boots, and was famously shy and soft-spoken in interviews. In the 1970s John Travolta made skintight male fashion disco de rigueur. Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant fashioned perhaps the most enduring image of modern androgyny. Plant combined a somewhat effeminate physical appearance with a high pitched, flamboyant vocal range coupled with a distinctly masculine sexuality. With this new fashion, celebrities have influenced other males to have an increasing interest in traditional female interests like clothing, fashion accessories, hairstyles, manicures, spa treatments and so on.[13][14] These trends have arguably gone on to reshape fashion, clothing houses, including Top Man, and designer labels. There has been an increase in sales in relevant "androgynous" merchandise.[15][16]

While the 1990s unrolled and fashion developed an affinity for unisex clothes there was a rise of designers who favored that look, like Helmut Lang, Giorgio Armani and Pierre Cardin, the trends in fashion hit the public mainstream in the 2000s (decade) that featured men sporting different hair styles: longer hair, hairdyes, hair highlights. Men in catalogues started wearing jewellery, make up, visual kei, designer stubble. These styles have become a significant mainstream trend of the 21st century, both in the western world and in Asia.[17] Japanese and Korean cultures have featured the androgynous look as a positive attribute in society, as depicted in both K-pop, J-pop,[18] in Anime and Manga,[19] as well as the fashion industry.[20]

One of the main predictions for the future is that everybody will be so androgynous that it will be impossible to identify somebody's sex just by looking at them, like we can now. And I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true based on how things are now.

How do you feel about androgyny? Are you androgynous? Would you like to live in a world where everyone was androgynous? Am I a sexist because I wouldn't?
gay

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I guess I am a little. I wouldn't say it's sexist for not wanting everyone to be androgynous.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
who's to say what is masculine and what is feminine?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I wouldn't mind living in an androgynous society, not where everyone is the same and bland, but where people aren't called fags or dykes and stuff for not fitting the image of the sex they are
and they love each other soooooo
androgynous

I'd like to be able to tell the difference between gender but I don't really care about the roles associated. And I don't see the physical aspect going away any time soon. We'll at least be able to keep seeing boobs and hearing high/low voices.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
It's 2013 and I live in America. I have to be this. But when I say this I mean showering every day, and putting on lotion cause I've got really sensitive skin (and stretch marks). I don't care though. I don't go as far ass putting on make up and talking with a lisp. I wash my hair nearly everyday so it smells good, lotion myself after I shower, and change twice a day if it's hot out. I don't care. I've done worse, more "feminine" things.
Quote by Trowzaa
[✓] Anime avatar
[✓] Thinking weird things is sexy
[✓] Terrible music
[✓] Japanese lyrics

Congratulations, you're a freak.

i feel im rather average...
Quote by Wormholes
It's 2013 and I live in America. I have to be this. But when I say this I mean showering every day, and putting on lotion cause I've got really sensitive skin (and stretch marks). I don't care though. I don't go as far ass putting on make up and talking with a lisp. I wash my hair nearly everyday so it smells good, lotion myself after I shower, and change twice a day if it's hot out. I don't care. I've done worse, more "feminine" things.

What are you even talking about? Hygiene isn't feminine.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by robbo546hall

best song?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm easily the most androgynous looking person that I know.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by BladeSlinger
What are you even talking about? Hygiene isn't feminine.

I wish this was the norm. But for me not so much. I've known many "types" of people(males). And at least 90% of them would make some [pseudo] homophobic joke if they found out you did something like using lotion, or dying your hair, or shaving your pits so you don't smell like ass 24/7 Even if these were the type of males that went clubbing every night trying to get laid, if you did anything like this and it wasn't to get your dick wet they'd try and crack some joke about it.
Last edited by Wormholes at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by Wormholes
I wish this was the norm. But for me not so much. I've known many "types" of people(males). And at least 90% of them would make some [pseudo] homophobic joke if they found out you did something like using lotion, or dying your hair. Even if these were the type of males that went clubbing every night trying to get laid, if you did anything like this and it wasn't to get your dick wet they'd try and crack some joke about it.

Maybe if you stopped being a try-hard cynic you wouldn't be surrounded by such cunts.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Would beta males turn into Betas?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where they have to interact with this androgynous society. That society views bi-sexed ones like our own to be inferior.

Not entirely related to this thread but you all should know that.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I feel more secure as a person knowing that. I thank you. And wish that your Swanson avatar was back
Quote by progdude93
I feel more secure as a person knowing that. I thank you. And wish that your Swanson avatar was back

It can be now. I forgot Parks and Rec was back.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I've been told I look androgynous before but that was before I had facial hair. I guess it's still sorta there when I have a clean shave going.

Edit: But I totally dress masculine and think it's superior in every way. Can I add misogynist to my user title?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Last edited by Rawshik at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by eGraham

It can be now. I forgot Parks and Rec was back.

I made this happen. My day is made.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
I've been aware of this androgyny trend for quite a while and purposely try not to be a part of it just because I don't like it. I think masculinity and femininity are real things and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ok going to sleep now. Keep the thread alive.

I think they're mostly social constructs, but so is morality, and I like morality too.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Sexual orientation will be more or less non existent because everyone will be so alike, and by then there will be very efficient ways extract sperm to fertilise eggs in tubes and all that stuff so it won't matter. That's the prediction.

lol, that sounds awful
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
lol, that sounds awful

If everyone had a penis and vagina, or better yet, a pegina (combination of both), competition for mates would effectively be cut in half.

I favor the pegina. Haven't worked out the logistics yet, but I favor it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by BladeSlinger
Maybe if you stopped being a try-hard cynic you wouldn't be surrounded by such cunts.

I probably should have specified this was more prevalent when I wasn't try hard what-so-ever. But now I'm more "selective" and yadda yadda. I'll just quit while I'm ahead. I need more water to sober up etc etc.
I have long hair, and my jeans are somewhere between skinny and normal. That's about as close as it gets for me.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
i doubt androgyny is the future as long as guys grow hair on their faces and girls have boobs.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 2