So, I was randomly playing some chords trying to write a song and came across this cool melody/rhythm. I know it's built around a common chord progression and scale, but I'm pretty sure I have heard it somewhere. Can you identify the song? Thanks.
Attachments:
unknown_song.gp5
Quote by Poglia
I know that song and they have nothing in common except a similar rhythm.

Not a similar chord progression? As in the exact same chord progression?
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Oct 6, 2013,
Quote by King Donkey
Not a similar chord progression? As in the exact same chord progression?
They don't sound the same to me. Pieces is also Dm Bb F C. But thanks anyway.
Quote by Poglia
They don't sound the same to me. Pieces is also Dm Bb F C. But thanks anyway.

I just read over my post and it was a bit aggressive, sorry about that mayn.

It may be in a different key but they both use a vi IV V I progression (I think, I don't claim to be a theory aficionado ) and that gives it the really similar sound.
West Ham United
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Haven't listened to the gp5 file, being on my ipad, but judging by the comments and that video, Zombie by The Cranberries?

Good lord, three songs in different keys posted so far and they all sound exactly the same.
West Ham United
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Zombie by The Cranberries

/thread
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Quote by King Donkey
Good lord, three songs in different keys posted so far and they all sound exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

Yeah, I know it's predictable.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Anyway, welcome to the depressing world of music theory where you begin to realize none of your rock/pop songs are ever original.

And this is what draws people to make avant-garde indian-influened psychedelic death jazz metal
I have nothing important to say
Yeah, dat chord progression.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by JackSaints
And this is what draws people to make avant-garde indian-influened psychedelic death jazz metal

Which is why I love theory

I don't see why Chuckles would find it depressing to understand that boring unoriginal music is boring and unoriginal music.
The guitar part in "don't forget me" is essentially one long solo. Flea is playing the progression on bass.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by HypernovaGlow
The guitar part in "don't forget me" is essentially one long solo. Flea is playing the progression on bass.

If you call continually strumming eighth note versions of A minor a solo.
It's just kind of a build up to the solo. It's Frusciante, man, It's not what he's playing it's how he plays it.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Are we pretending that John Frusciante isn't a genius? What about the album Mother's Milk or Blood Sugar Sex Magik? Anything post BSSM is kind of 5 guitars all layered with effects, but still.

Anyway this doesn't have anything to do with the topic, I was just stating that the similar progression was played on bass in that circumstance.

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
The chord progression doesn't matter. The lead is what can get you in trouble.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by HypernovaGlow
Are we pretending that John Frusciante isn't a genius? What about the album Mother's Milk or Blood Sugar Sex Magik? Anything post BSSM is kind of 5 guitars all layered with effects, but still.

Anyway this doesn't have anything to do with the topic, I was just stating that the similar progression was played on bass in that circumstance.

I only have love for Frusciante. Don't Forget Me is actually in my top 5 of favorite solos. But to say it is only solo is just off man.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Haven't listened to the gp5 file, being on my ipad, but judging by the comments and that video, Zombie by The Cranberries?

I've never heard these guys before, but I have that exact clean tone, except mine is a little more bassy. Wow.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
I've never heard these guys before, but I have that exact clean tone, except mine is a little more bassy. Wow.

Really? You've never heard of The Cranberries?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Surprising. They were huge in the 90's. Try Skunk Anansie as well, you might like their guitarist's tone.

Eh, never really listened to the radio at any point in my life. That's a nice tone though. I love the chorus-y reverb-y sound with a bit of delay. (Can't remember if I have any other effects on it, I have a POD and set that tone up a while ago)
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
Nope, didn't even know they were a band until yesterday.

It's ok, you still have time to change.