I'm currently using a Harley Benton cab from Thomman (cheapest I could find Tbh).
I only bought it as I blew my budget on my Laney Ironheart head and always planned on fitting new speakers eventually.
I'm aware that everyone seems to be bumming the celestion v30s at the moment (as they are "the minimum excepted standard"), now if It was an older cab from the 90s I completely understand (they were nice) but ever since the v30s have been mass produced in China they just don't seem as nice.

I play high gain metal, generally thrash and progressive styles but not scooped mids (i hate that) so I'm looking for speakers with a tight low end and aggressive mids and highs.

I was looking at celestion's g12k 100's and t 75's but also eminence wizard (8ohms) as they all look nice and the specs look good but never having heard them I don't want to rush and buy.
I know this topic is very subjective as everyone loves and hates different things so I'm just asking what speakers do you like, what styles and eq do you use with them, best at worst at etc etc

Thanks for all the help.
So what's wrong with the V30s? What don't you like about them?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
So what's wrong with the V30s? What don't you like about them?

To be honest I can't figure it out they just don't sound as good, it could be my rig or the way I play I dunno they just don't sound right it feels like somethings missing... If that makes sence.
I like the high mids and the sensitivity/efficiency but I just keep feeling like there's more to be had.
Quote by shredzilla19
To be honest I can't figure it out they just don't sound as good, it could be my rig or the way I play I dunno they just don't sound right it feels like somethings missing... If that makes sence.
I like the high mids and the sensitivity/efficiency but I just keep feeling like there's more to be had.

Perhaps it might be worth it for you to mix one of the V30s with something else? You might just be missing some of the frequencies that aren't as exaggerated by the V30s, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a T-75 or K100 in with one.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Perhaps it might be worth it for you to mix one of the V30s with something else? You might just be missing some of the frequencies that aren't as exaggerated by the V30s, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a T-75 or K100 in with one.

Well I was thinking a couple off weeks ago about getting the Harley Benton g412 vintage (loaded with v30s) and swapping the bottom 2 for g12k-100s for a bit more beef but I didn't know if that would work.
If you have the 2x12 I'd recommend what the other guy said and swap one of the V30s out for a G12T75. Those two speakers mix well together. If oyu're using a 4x12, do them in the X pattern.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
v30s take a good while to break in. are you sure that's not the problem?

that being said there are tons of good speakers. eminence v12s are nice for not too much, bit like not so in-your-face v30s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
v30s take a good while to break in. are you sure that's not the problem?

that being said there are tons of good speakers. eminence v12s are nice for not too much, bit like not so in-your-face v30s.

Well the cab I've got isn't the one with the v30s it's the even cheaper one, I've only heard new v30 in some orange ppc and engl cabs in store, other than that I played one of my dads friends 412 what he made back in late 90s and that had an old set of v30 and they sounded great. Maybe it was because they had broke in properly I always assumed it was because they were UK made rather than China.
Quote by shredzilla19
I'm aware that everyone seems to be bumming the celestion v30s at the moment (as they are "the minimum excepted standard"), now if It was an older cab from the 90s I completely understand (they were nice) but ever since the v30s have been mass produced in China they just don't seem as nice.

this is just bandwagon opinion crap. there is a good reason why V30's are found in so many high end cabs: cuz people like the sound. i personally don't prefer a V30, but this 'bumming' on V30's you are aware of is nothing more than uninformed social opinion. don't let it persuade into making a bad decision, base you decisions off of informed decisions and side-by-side comparisons.

also, this whole "now they're made in china and aren't as good" is BS. i have compared british V30's to chinese ones and i couldn't tell the difference. i am not saying i am an authority, but if you had 100 people trying to figure out which one was british and which was chinese then i'd bet the results would be about 50/50 (which is no better than a random guess).

Quote by shredzilla19
I play high gain metal, generally thrash and progressive styles but not scooped mids (i hate that) so I'm looking for speakers with a tight low end and aggressive mids and highs.

I was looking at celestion's g12k 100's and t 75's but also eminence wizard (8ohms) as they all look nice and the specs look good but never having heard them I don't want to rush and buy.
I know this topic is very subjective as everyone loves and hates different things so I'm just asking what speakers do you like, what styles and eq do you use with them, best at worst at etc etc

Thanks for all the help.

the V30's should provide plenty of the mids you desire so i'd actually recommend keeping one around and mixing it with another speaker (as many others have mentioned here). i always liked the G12K-85's i had back in the day (the K-100's ancestor), they were very tight with a solid low end if a bit dead/dull sounding. i have mixed them with V30's before and was pretty impressed.

i also have an eminence swamp thang / man-o'-war (T-75 clone) cabinet that is pretty tight sounding. don't know if eminence is an option for you at all, but the swamp thang can help shore up your low end pretty well while the man-'o-war (or a T-75) has pretty good low end and a different mids characteristic.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by shredzilla19
Well the cab I've got isn't the one with the v30s it's the even cheaper one, I've only heard new v30 in some orange ppc and engl cabs in store, other than that I played one of my dads friends 412 what he made back in late 90s and that had an old set of v30 and they sounded great. Maybe it was because they had broke in properly I always assumed it was because they were UK made rather than China.

You mean you have the Non-Vintage G212? The one with some unknown origin Harley Benton speakers? Then you may very well need new speakers. Check out Eminence Governors for cheaper V30:ish (not a "clone" however) alternative. Or Eminence in general. Generally cheaper than their Celestion equivalents.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ oh yeah those HB speakers aren't great. He was just saying that he'd only tried newer v30s in the shops, that he didn't have them in his cabs (I think that's what he was doing).

Quote by shredzilla19

yeah if you're only trying new ones in the shop they (most likely) won't be broken-in. There's your problem.

I've never tried the older UK-made ones, but from what I hear from people I trust, they're identical.

There are a couple of different versions of the v30, though- the mesa version (which is made in the UK) is different, as is the marshall version. But they're different because they're different, not because of where they're made. The current UK-made mesa v30 is different from the old UK-made Celestion-branded V30, as far as I'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 6, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
You mean you have the Non-Vintage G212? The one with some unknown origin Harley Benton speakers? Then you may very well need new speakers. Check out Eminence Governors for cheaper V30:ish (not a "clone" however) alternative. Or Eminence in general. Generally cheaper than their Celestion equivalents.

Thats correct yes I have the standard g212 not the vintage version, back when I bought it if was the cheapest I could find and I didn't no the v30s at that point (if I had waited and read up about it I would have bought the vintage model) live and learn lol.

Now reading what you've said my previous comment "Chinese made aren't as good" was probably because the older UK made one's had been properly broken in, maybe that was why I thought they sounded better.

I have looked at the eminence site and quite like the look and sound of "man o war" wizard 8ohm" and "the governor" but I have read a lot of bad reviews about eminence on "gearslutz" & "sevenstring.org" they all pretty much say there bad clones of celestion, whether that's true I don't know.
I dunno about that. I like the eminences I've tried. That said I've come across plenty of people who don't like eminence, too, so It's very much personal preference. The eminences do seem to have something of their own sound (even the celestion clones), so if you want something that sounds identical to a celestion, just buy a celestion.

FWIW, the man o war is their g12t75, the governor their v30 and the wizard their g12h30. But I don't think any is a straight 100% clone, more like their take on that type of tone. I haven't tried any of those 3.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredzilla19
hy I thought they sounded better.

I have looked at the eminence site and quite like the look and sound of "man o war" wizard 8ohm" and "the governor" but I have read a lot of bad reviews about eminence on "gearslutz" & "sevenstring.org" they all pretty much say there bad clones of celestion, whether that's true I don't know.

I wouldnt really put that much weight on comments like that. They are NOT clones, as in attempts to make them exactly same as originals. For example Man O War is Eminences own take on the scooped G12-T75 that is pretty much a standard in Marshally metal tones, similar attributes and yet very different. Same thing with Governor, similar idea to V30 (midrange heavy and tight) with Eminences own twist: Its slightly smoother and the huge upper midrange/low treble spike the V30 is infamous for (cuts through mix like mofo, but can also make it bit tiring in the long run) is almost nonexistent in Governor.

For reference, WGS own V30 "clone" also lacks the V30 spike, but is not as smooth as Governor. Actually its very in-your-face, almost moreso that V30.

The point I am trying to make is that if you are expecting an exact clone you will most likely end up dissapointed. But if you expect something similar and but still different you might end up actually liking them more. Eminence does have its fanbase for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDRs2vyMyw

Again, original vs "clone".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYnuC2kUjQ

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 8, 2013,
^ yeah. also wgs has two v30-style speakers, one (supposedly, I haven't tried them) an "improved" v30-type speaker, the other supposedly more of a clone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Retro 30 is a WGS V30 clone, Veteran 30 is the WGS take on the V30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gumbilicious
this is just bandwagon opinion crap. there is a good reason why V30's are found in so many high end cabs: cuz people like the sound. i personally don't prefer a V30, but this 'bumming' on V30's you are aware of is nothing more than uninformed social opinion. don't let it persuade into making a bad decision, base you decisions off of informed decisions and side-by-side comparisons.

also, this whole "now they're made in china and aren't as good" is BS. i have compared british V30's to chinese ones and i couldn't tell the difference. i am not saying i am an authority, but if you had 100 people trying to figure out which one was british and which was chinese then i'd bet the results would be about 50/50 (which is no better than a random guess).

the V30's should provide plenty of the mids you desire so i'd actually recommend keeping one around and mixing it with another speaker (as many others have mentioned here). i always liked the G12K-85's i had back in the day (the K-100's ancestor), they were very tight with a solid low end if a bit dead/dull sounding. i have mixed them with V30's before and was pretty impressed.

i also have an eminence swamp thang / man-o'-war (T-75 clone) cabinet that is pretty tight sounding. don't know if eminence is an option for you at all, but the swamp thang can help shore up your low end pretty well while the man-'o-war (or a T-75) has pretty good low end and a different mids characteristic.

i have 8x K-85's and a pair of K100's. they are my favorite speaker for anything high gain, if not mixed with v30's. i also have english V30's and 8 or 10 total and i can't tell the difference either. i do however keep the pairs/quads together, but thats because i am mildly obsessive about things like that. then a have a quad of english T75's, and two EVH celestions (came loaded in a cheap cab) to round it off.

(IMO) first i would mix V30 with k100's or secondly (based from experience) T75's.

also, although first mentioned if V30's weren't to some degree industry standard, why do the big builders use them? Mesa, Orange, etc plus quite a few lower build companies.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well cheers for all the advice guys.
I'm going to a local store sat to try out some dif cabs and individual speakers, I've already spoke to them about trying out v30s & k100s so they set something up for me