Ok so Iv FINALLY found an amp sound I'm in love with ,the DSL 401 ,however I was kind of leaning towards a head and cab amp ... (I'm not too experienced ) I have about 2000 to spend on an amp is there a more pricey version of this amp ??
Have you tried searching Marshall JCM2000 DSL head? They do a 50 watt and 100 watt version.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
the dsl 401 has the EL84 power tubes, while this does allow the amp's power section to break up at lower volume and provide a big sound some people prefer a 'cleaner' power section for higher gain applications.

the jcm2000 has a 50 watt and 100 watt head version of the DSL that is quite desired by certain guitarists. these amplifiers run EL34 power tubes and have more punch and headroom so they have less of a tendency to 'muddy up' in higher gain applications. unfortunately the jcm2000 versions are discontinued, but you can find used ones for ~1000 to 1200 in the used market (you can find them for less as well).

i am unsure of what genre you want to play, but a DSL401 would be better at less aggressive end of the spectrum like pop rock, light metal, classic rock (things that like a bit of power tube saturation), while the head versions would be more suited to heavier/aggressive music that likes more punch and distortion.

marshall has released a new line of DSL amps that are currently in production, but i have heard underwhelming reviews on the amps. i would advise you to go after a used DSL
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I get lost a lot in the names , numbers of the amps ...so what your saying is the dsl401 combo would be a cheaper version of the jcm2000 dsl?

So if I buy a jcm 2000 dsl I should get that sound and more as it's of higher quality ..them prices don't seem to bad I could save a few hundred ,yes I like to play classic rock and classic metal ,guns n roses tone is my favourite
Where are you located?

You can get a JCM 2000 DSL50/100 for $500-$600 any day in the US
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by wld-kid
I get lost a lot in the names , numbers of the amps ...so what your saying is the dsl401 combo would be a cheaper version of the jcm2000 dsl?

So if I buy a jcm 2000 dsl I should get that sound and more as it's of higher quality ..them prices don't seem to bad I could save a few hundred ,yes I like to play classic rock and classic metal ,guns n roses tone is my favourite

the jcm2000 came in two basic versions: the DSL (dual super lead) and TSL (triple super lead). the DSL has two channels the TSL has three channels. most guitarists seem to agree that the DSL was the better of the two.

the DSL came in a head version (50 watt or 100 watt with EL34's) and a combo version with a 1x12 (DSL201 - 20 watt or DSL401 - 40 watt, both had EL84's).

what i am saying is the head version is a beefier version of the combo version (DSL401). it'll have more headroom and punch and be better at higher gain applications. i think the prices for the head and the combo are pretty similar in the used market though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae