Ok, so i've been bored recently i've been looking at guitars and amps (it's what i do sometimes) and i'm just wondering what i should to look at upgrading next, i'm NOT gigging, i'm still p[ractising and maybe playing to a few mates or a small room for socials

Guitar: Tokai SG
Amp: Roland 20XL

Geners i like to play: Metal and Rock (Hard Rock, Classic Rock etc.) mainly, but do like to dabble in blues sometimes

Looking for a midrange upgrade, not gonna go for a £2000 guitar and amp, maybe £400/500+ for Guitar and £200+ for amp
If your happy with your guitar and want to drastically change your sound, go for amp. I'd recommend an Vox AC15 with greenback speaker combo (I think most come with this if not all). Should cover most of what you described other than metal(?).
Keep your guitar, and check out the Peavey Vypyr tube 60.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
is that a japanese tokai?

how much do you need/want non-humbucker tones?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
is that a japanese tokai?

how much do you need/want non-humbucker tones?

Yes Tokai are a Japanese guitar brand, i'd rather have Humbucker tones tbh, but if i can get coil tapping in my price range i'd be happy
i'm well aware of that, but they're not all made in japan. if your guitar is a japanese-made tokai, it's already gonna be a pretty darn good guitar, better than your amp. that's kinda what I was trying to get at, lol.

the other thing is, if you like your current guitar, you could always add coil splits to it for much cheaper than buying a whole new guitar. that'd leave you more for the amp budget, too.

it's up to you, of course, sometimes it's hard to pass a new guitar
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm well aware of that, but they're not all made in japan. if your guitar is a japanese-made tokai, it's already gonna be a pretty darn good guitar, better than your amp. that's kinda what I was trying to get at, lol.

the other thing is, if you like your current guitar, you could always add coil splits to it for much cheaper than buying a whole new guitar. that'd leave you more for the amp budget, too.

it's up to you, of course, sometimes it's hard to pass a new guitar

Oh right my bad, well as far as i know it was a japanese made guitar (bought it from a store as a ex-demo model) i do like my guitar i have been drooling over PRS's but ofc they are super expensive, so amps are my new thing, but i have NO IDEA where to look for amps really, gutiar makes i'm ok with, amp makes not really
It normally says on the back of the headstock where it's made. or a 2-screw (rather than 3) truss rod cover normally means it's japanese.

I'm not sure if the pickups are 2-conductor or 4 conductor. If they're 4 conductor you can fit coil splits fairly easily (if you can solder), you'd just need to buy a couple of new push-pull pots and tweak the wiring. if they're 2 conductor you'd probably have to fork out for new pickups which are 4-conductor.

what type(s) of metal, rock and blues do you play? how quietly do you have to play when you're practising?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
It normally says on the back of the headstock where it's made. or a 2-screw (rather than 3) truss rod cover normally means it's japanese.

I'm not sure if the pickups are 2-conductor or 4 conductor. If they're 4 conductor you can fit coil splits fairly easily (if you can solder), you'd just need to buy a couple of new push-pull pots and tweak the wiring. if they're 2 conductor you'd probably have to fork out for new pickups which are 4-conductor.

what type(s) of metal, rock and blues do you play? how quietly do you have to play when you're practising?

"Made in China" so chinese not Japanese, hopefully that's not too bad, and i playing Metallica, Iron Maiden + other 80s metal bands like Posion and Twisted Sister etc. Rock ranges from The Who to Social Distortion, blues tends to be Eric Clapton or ZZ Top
It should be fine- along the lines of an epiphone in quality, most likely.

It's really up to you regarding the guitar- some of those tones might benefit from a strat/superstrat/fat strat, so if you did want to go down the route of another guitar, that might be a style of guitar worth looking at- with HSS or HSH pickups, you could get both humbucker and single coil tones.

It's really up to you regarding the amp, too- tube tends to be the way to go if you can get over loud TV/shouting volume levels, but if you have to play a whisper volume, a good modeller might be a better idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Some of the Chinese Tokais are quite nice. If it plays well then upgrade your amp.

If that is the case then you need to play our game:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some of the Chinese Tokais are quite nice. If it plays well then upgrade your amp.

If that is the case then you need to play our game:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Budget? - Amp £200+ (can go cheaper if there is gonna be a better one at a cheaper price)

Genres? - Mainly Metal and Rock, some blues, will need cleans (not that many), Metallica, Iron Maiden, The Who, Van Halen,Eric Clapton, MAYBE Jimi Hendrix, JJ. Cale, Status Quo, Dire Straights, Joe Satriani, ZZ Top, Steve Vai, Lynaryd Skynryd, Social Distortion, Theory of a Deadman, SRV, Halestorm - Most of the bands i listen to and most of the bands that i would like to cover songs from.

New or Used? - Preffer new amps, however i'm open to looking at second hand amps as long as they are well maintained/in good condition

Home or Gig? - Won't be gigging in terms of getting a band together, i will be mainly be practising in my uni room / bedroom with the odd bit of jamming with other guitarists / band members. Occassionly i will play to my mates or a small room (Uni group social)

Closest City? - Cloeset city will be the one i currently live in for uni - Leicester

Current Gear? - Standard Tokai SG - nothing about it has been changed, other than the strings, changed from 9 gauges to 10's. My amp is a Roland 20XL

Hopefully that gives you enough info
Can you get a used Vyper Tube 60 for that over yonder?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Can't get a used vypyr tube 60 over here full stop, they pop up about once a year!
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
JCA22 combo?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone