Hello. I guess I should first start off this thread by saying I am an extreme noob when it comes to hooking up hardware in a studio. That being said, I just feel into a situation where there is a whole studio that needs hooked up and honestly I am a little overwhelmed. Here is the gear that I have...

MacBook Pro
Rack 003 +
Control 24 Board
Focusrite ISA 828
Line 6 POD Pro
I have some studio monitors

I have all the cables I need to hook everything up. The only thing is I have no idea where the signal chain should go. Also there is all these pre amps. As I understand the Rack 003 + has 8 pre amps, the Focusrite ISA 828 is another 8 pre amps I believe, and the Control 24 doesn't that have 24 pre amps built in?

I'm not sure which of these are the best quality and which I should use or their different characteristics. So far I know that I should go from my computer and link into the 003 Rack +, and then I know I can take a microphone and plug in there, but I am lost. I want to be able to use the control 24 and also have the option of the Focusrite ISA 828. I don't know if I would have to hook which ever pre amp I wanted into the board during the session I'll be doing. In which case that would kind of be a bummer, but not too bad. Also I don't know about running these pre amps into the C24 when it has built in pre amps. Where does the monitor plug in? I am totally lost.

The Line 6 Unit I'm not sure where it is supposed to go in the chain. I have never used a rack unit like it before. There is also a rack tuner.

Maybe if I was running a direct bass I would go from the Line 6 unit to the input of one of the pre amps? But again I wouldn't know which to use, or how to use the rack pre amps to the board.

If anyone could shed some light on the situation it would be a great help. Thank you in advance.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
Hello. I guess I should first start off this thread by saying I am an extreme noob when it comes to hooking up hardware in a studio. That being said, I just feel into a situation where there is a whole studio that needs hooked up and honestly I am a little overwhelmed. Here is the gear that I have...

MacBook Pro
Rack 003 +
Control 24 Board
Focusrite ISA 828
Line 6 POD Pro
I have some studio monitors

First, this should be helpful:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/articles/digidesignc24.htm

Rack 003 - is that the Digi003? $700 = 4 preamps. Perfectly good standalone interface, until you need more than four preamps, at which point, it has ADAT in, meaning you can add another set of preamps.

Control 24 Board = $10K. 16 preamps.

Focusrite ISA 828 = $2500. 8 preamps. Perfectly good standalone interface, until you need more than eight preamps, at which point, it apparently has ADAT, though I don't see it on the back in the photos.

Did you win a lottery or something? I'm trying to figure out why on earth someone who is brand new to this would buy so much expensive stuff before they knew what they were buying, and why they were buying it, and how it was going to fit together - if at all.

Quote by reelbigfish2020

I have all the cables I need to hook everything up.

Are you sure? You need DB25 connectors. You can use one to connect the 003 to the C24. That'll give you your first four XLR and your first four line level inputs to the C24. To connect the ISA828, you're going to need another DB25 connector, out from the ISA and in to the C24.

There's your 16 inputs. The other 8 channels on the C24 represent your output buses. That's how you get it all connected IN to the C24, roughly.

Somehow, you need to get this all back into your computer - ideally, on 16 different channels. I'm honestly not sure how you're going to do that, without having to buy more stuff.

I suppose if you bought another Digi003, you could feed the first 8 outputs back to one 003 and the second 8 outputs back to the other Digi 003 (more of those expensive D25 cables...)

.... but that would make your Focusrite unit redundant.

You can connect the two units via ADAT, which is an inexpensive cable. But now you've got two streams coming out of one of the units - ADAT out to the other unit, and DB25 out to the C24. Depending on how the equipment is configured, this could be no big deal at all, or it could be a headache.

What I might have suggested before you went on a shopping spree is to assess your needs. You need 16 inputs? Do some research and find a pair of interfaces that will work together - either separately into two different firewire or USB2 connections, or by plugging one into the other (called daisy-chaining) via some format such as ADAT. Maybe the Digi003 and the ISA are all you need?

Then you've got 16 discrete channels all going directly into your computer, and probably enough outputs to feed whatever analog sources you will need in your studio (studio monitors, a headphone amp, etc.)

I mean, sure, the C24 is a beautiful thing... but how much are you willing to spend and for what gain?

Quote by reelbigfish2020

Where does the monitor plug in? I am totally lost.

Into the Digi003, assuming that is what you are using as an interface with your computer.

Quote by reelbigfish2020

The Line 6 Unit I'm not sure where it is supposed to go in the chain. I have never used a rack unit like it before. There is also a rack tuner.

Put those between the instrument and whatever you are plugging the instrument into - presumably the Digi003.

Quote by reelbigfish2020

Maybe if I was running a direct bass I would go from the Line 6 unit to the input of one of the preamps?

Is the Line 6 a guitar modeler or a bass modeler? Use a bass modeling unit to plug a bass into for best results.

Do you have any mics? Room treatment?

I think I'd be considering selling off the C24 and getting some nice mics and treating your room.

CT

** this is all predicated on the assumption that you are recording to your computer and not to a standalone recorder.**
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 6, 2013,
Sorry its taken me a minute to get back with you. This studio was hooked up and running and the engineer that was working here wasn't making the cut so he was fired. I am experienced in running a studio, worked in one for 2 years on some great albums many artists, but I never had to hook up the equipment, so I have no idea on the back end. The room treatments are fantastic, I have a microphone closet, just need to figure out how to best get this gear all working together.

What I'm having a hard time understanding right now is if I hook the control 24 into the 003+ it seem like I'm doubling up on preamps since the control 24 has a preamp, and then it is feeding into the preamp section of the 003+. What I want to have happen is to be able to use the at least the 003+ and Focusrite preamps and control them with the Control 24 board.

I thought that the 003+ rack has 8 preamps? That's what it looks like on the front, and there are 8 connections in the back of it.

Anyway, here is some pictures of the equipment, I think this will help out. First is the back of the Control 24:

Next is the back of the 003+

Next is the back of the Focusrite

Next is the back of the POD Pro

Right now I have the first 1-8 Line out of the Control 24 going into to the 003+ inputs 1-8, but I don't know if this is right. Like I said, seems redundant preamps to me. Could you advise where connections would need to be made?
I'm torn between if I should use the control 24 or the 003+ preamps. I would like to check quality wise by listening, I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference. If the Focusrite was the best sounding preamp, I think I would plug my mic into it, run an output to the control 24, and then take an output of the control 24 to the 003+?

Like I said, I don't know if it will pick up all the preamps on the way through, I just want to use the control 24 for the fader in that situation, and the 003+ is where I have to take in from my computer. ???
To be honest, I find it kind of weird that you have so much experience but no idea how to hook up anything correctly... Even so - If the studio already had this gear, and the previous engineer was using it already, why isn't it still all hooked up?

One thing I'm really confused about is why you have a total of 32 preamps (8 in the 003R+, 16 in the Control 24 and 8 on the ISA 828), but only have the I/O to support 8 at once... Does the ISA 828 have the digital card installed in it?? This would make sense if you were running the digital card, as you could connect the 828 to the 003R+ via ADAT for 8 more inputs into your DAW.

Another thing I find odd is that you're running a $10k board that was meant to run with Pro Tools HD, with an LE system. Not necessarily bad... but I have no idea why your studio would spend so much money on the C24 if they weren't integrating it into a full HD setup

The main thing I'm confused about is why they have such little I/O. Unless you have an extensive patchbay system, you'd be bypassing the 003R+ pres and 828 pres in favor of the Control 24 pres, which are honestly about as good as the 003 (which isn't good). The 828 are the best preamps you have, but without a patchbay system, they're being wasted by having the C24 hardwired into it (assuming you're even using the C24 for inputs... they might've just had it set up as a DAW controller and monitor controller?).

As far as you plugging in the preamps into each other, usually preamps can be bypassed by running a 1/4" cable into the line input of a preamp. So you'd be running the output of your C24 into the line input on each channel of the 003R or 828, assuming you actually want to use the mic preamps (I'd probably just use it as a DAW controller, or at the very least, only plug in the first 8 pres into the 003R+... they might be marginally better, definitely don't use them in favor of the ISA, though).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com