I can't figure it out, and I've been playing for years. I just got into using picks a week ago.
not sure if i understand the issue but when you go to strum something coming out of a picked line, loosen your fingers and wrist. rake a long the strings, dont dig in

compare your right hand between when youre picking and when youre strumming. Notice the differences and just make the changes quicker. Eventually it'll come naturally but this'll speed up the process
Quote by Rick540
I play in drop F. When I chug on the 6th string the floor splits open and satan crawls out.
Quote by nightsycthe
not sure if i understand the issue but when you go to strum something coming out of a picked line, loosen your fingers and wrist. rake a long the strings, dont dig in

compare your right hand between when youre picking and when youre strumming. Notice the differences and just make the changes quicker. Eventually it'll come naturally but this'll speed up the process

Well, I can pick with my hand, but how do I hold the pick when I'm picking with my fingers, and than use it when I strum?
I think I understand what you are saying. Basically you need, or it would help if, to hold the pick with your pointer finger and thumb. Sounds like you do a lot of chord type music so I would suggest what I try to do. If you use your pointer and thumb to hold the pick, you still have your middle, ring, and pinky finger left. I use my pick for the bottom 3 strings being E A D strings and the last 3 strings for my fingers. It is very difficult at first and I admit I am not good at it yet because I have not practiced it hardly ever because I end up using just my fingers because it feels easier, but when it comes to strumming again I want my pick back so it really is a challenge. You can't just throw your pick and then grab the pick. Practice what I do and take a simple open chord like C and just try picking the bottom 3 strings and fingering the other 3. It does become easier with practice but it takes ALOT of practice to master. Hope that helps.