SuperMissMan
635 IQ
I need new picks that grip well, and are comfortable....what are your suggestions?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i like the dunlop gator grips. However, I started using them when there weren't many other alternatives for things that had a bit of grip. There are more alternatives now, but I'm so used to the gator grips I just stick with them. I also like how they don't serrate as quickly as some other picks. With some other picks I could kill a pick inside one playing session.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Personally I would warn against becoming too overly reliant on one kind of pick in case you can't find it for some reason. At various times in the past I've had trouble getting hold of almost every kind of pick, even in shops I thought were pretty good.

I would also suggest that if you're having issues with gripping a pick it's unlikely to be the fault of the pick itself. In the past week I've used a few dunlop tortex's, the standard red JazzIIIs, some random thin as hell pick I found at a friends house and had no trouble with gripping any of them.

Quote by JackovSlayer
Just buy few picks and see which one you like the most.

This is pretty good advice though, it's not like picks cost very much.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Livingtime
544 IQ
I like any pick as long as it is teardrop shaped. Right now my favourite is Fender Classic Celluoid
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
(a) Personally I would warn against becoming too overly reliant on one kind of pick in case you can't find it for some reason. At various times in the past I've had trouble getting hold of almost every kind of pick, even in shops I thought were pretty good.

(b) This is pretty good advice though, it's not like picks cost very much.

(a) yeah, i suppose. At the same time, I'll kinda cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm not going to not use a pick I like, which I can currently get hold of, just in case at some point in the future it becomes scarce...

(b) agreed.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i suppose. At the same time, I'll kinda cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm not going to not use a pick I like, which I can currently get hold of, just in case at some point in the future it becomes scarce...

Oh no doubt, there's nothing at all wrong with having preferences but at one point I couldn't play comfortably at all with anything that wasn't a Jazz III... then the shop didn't have any for a little while.

That was an eye-opener

Album.
Legion.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
haha yeah
Quote by classicrocker01

sweetdude3000
1,172 IQ
The jazz IIIs are excellent. You should get acquainted with others too. What about those triangle picks? Or the Jack Daniels for some country tones. You can get a medieval tone with an ice pick, too.
demonhellcat
402 IQ
Dunlop Jazz III! and I just started using the grippy version which actually work.
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,983 IQ
I like triangular picks best, 0.46mm is my favorite even though they break easily
bobcrackchuc
43 IQ
Quote by allthatichug
These guys.

I agree with this.

I've switched over to Jazz III's recently (AWESOME picks) but I used these for a while, nice and durable, with a solid range of thickness to choose from. I also sharpened a couple of the thicker ones up, makes them even more effective (Don't make it a weapon, though)
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,513 IQ
^ I've sharpened those too and also put some deep scratches with a knife for grip (works excellent for any slippery pick, better than sanding, just stay away from the edges). I prefer JazzIIIs for most lead stuff though
IanSammiches
505 IQ
Dunlop Jazz III. Great picks for any style of music. And they're smaller than normal picks, so they take a little bit to get use to, but they are wonderful.
Bikewer
65 IQ
Since I've played for about 40 years, much of it flatpicking... I've tried a lot of picks.
It's one of those things.... Ask 100 players, you'll get 100 answers. Guitar Player magazine did a layout years ago on the picks of 50 or so top guitar players.

Quite a variety... Lots of standard "Fender" type plastic numbers, often with the artist's name....
But lots of oddballs too. John McLaughlin's "chunk-O-lucite"... .Billy Gibbons' peso coin, others.

One thing you'll find if you experiment is that different types of picks produce different sounds, and may be more or less appropriate for certain types of music.
For instance, the stubby, rounded "jazz" picks tend to produce a smooth and somewhat muted tone, which is ideal for certain types of jazz playing.
Bluegrass players prefer a "sharper" pick that will produce the ringing chords while also being stiff enough for single-note lines.
Everyone seems to have their own preference.

Me, I use the Dunlop .88 mm Nylon picks. They produce that sharp-ish tone I like (primarily for bluegrass picking) wear like iron, are cheap, and readily available.
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
2,486 IQ
I think I might be suffering from Jazz III syndrome too. Picked up a yellow Tortex the other day and my right hand had no idea what it was doing.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Emperor's Child
I think I might be suffering from Jazz III syndrome too. Picked up a yellow Tortex the other day and my right hand had no idea what it was doing.

And this is why getting too comfortable with one thing is a bad idea, haha; as much anything else I advocate being able to play under any circumstances to at least a passable standard and if you're too reliant on one kind of pick that's not going to happen.

I switch up my picks every so often just to make sure I'm still good, I'm actually using the Tortex yellows right now. Sounds more like Paul Gilbert too!

Album.
Legion.
Rick_Kala
230 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
i like the dunlop gator grips. However, I started using them when there weren't many other alternatives for things that had a bit of grip. There are more alternatives now, but I'm so used to the gator grips I just stick with them. I also like how they don't serrate as quickly as some other picks. With some other picks I could kill a pick inside one playing session.

I just got some of the Gator Grips .96 and they are decent....however; I really feel in love with the Dunlop std 4420 1.0 mm blk when I stumbled across one in my gig bag. I have been missing out on these for years. I love the feel....
DaCanadaGuy
133 IQ
i'm pretty particular to the dunlop nylon .73 picks myself, although i've been thinking of moving up to .88's

i find them pretty grippy, never really had to worry about them slipping all over the place due to sweaty hands or anything
IMtBike
158 IQ
Fender 351 Heavy. I like how it feels how it sounds, everything. I tried some picks with grips, but it seemed like the grips wore out quickly, and then they were worse than picks without grips.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
paulballs
54 IQ
I dont play guitar, but my son does so I browse the forums looking for pertinent information I might pass along to him. He uses black Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm
sovaso
Sova Sova Sova!
1,800 IQ
Quote by allthatichug
These guys.

Hands down. +1 to this.
I usually go with the yellows
JackSaints
Titleless Peasant
213 IQ
Dunlop Tortex Sharp for me
I use 1.35mm at the moment but I think I shall swap to 1.5mm
I have nothing important to say
jpaolilli
724 IQ
this company dava picks has some really awesome grips on their picks, check out http://www.davapick.com/ they have some pictures there. Not too many shops carry them, so like someone said before you don't want to get too dependent on one type, especially if it's rare.
wingchern
10 IQ
I use Dunlop Tortex .88mm. I find them grippy enough but i've always used bog standard picks. I used to use .73mm but I find that now i've put thicker strings on, .88mm goes with the extra "heaviness" better.
Jordan5150
671 IQ
I've used the nylon Dunlop picks .73mm for probably most of my playing life but after picking up one of my vocalists/guitarists Tortex 1mm a few weeks ago at a gig I got hooked. It had a more solid attack so I bought a pack of .88mm Tortex earlier this week. Sort of an awakening of how flimsy the nylons were so I'm trying these out for now, the more I use them it's taking a lot to get used to the pressure it puts on the pointer finger, then again could be my shitty picking.
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks
985 IQ
I only use Jazz IIIs. I'm not sure if the regular ones are the small ones or not but I always use the small ones. Never do they fall out of my hands and they barely shift during my playing either. Best picks IMO.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,209 IQ
Standard Jazz III's here as well, although I'd like to use some alternate versions like the Ultex or the bigger Jazz III's.. Too bad my shop doesn't sell them, and I'm too lazy to order them.
baab
gh0ul666
82 IQ
Steve Vais Ibanez picks 1.12, i like the form and great texture so it stays comfortable even with sweating fingers