tsg31t
1,104 IQ
What's you're rig set-up when your trying to come up with a new riff/lick etc...How are you doing it? Are you playing out from your amp, or playing in to an am modeler? Etc. Just trying to get a feel for what the most popular, and easiest way is.

Thanks.
tsg31t
1,104 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
Jamming:
Guitar -> Pod HD -> Audacity via USB out.

Serious recording:
Guitar -> Pod HD -> FL Studio via USB out.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of finding a preset you like, and tweaking it until it sounds good with a minimum of post EQ.

Thanks Bud! Anyone else able to share?
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Guitar > DI > Seventh Circle Audio A12b > SSL Alpha Link AX > RME HDSP 9652 > Computer running amp sim.

Then once I'm done, I send it back out via SPDIF to my Kemper or out through my reamp box and into one of my amps, throw a Mic on it and hit record.

Bass goes through the DI input of my Focusrite ISA 428 MKI pres, or into my Peavey VMP-2, then I process in the DAW. If I'm not feeling lazy, I'll reamp a dirty track through my Sansamp RBI .
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Playing in room > voice record app on iPhone. If the purpose is just to not forget your ideas, I want the quickest, most idiot-proof way of doing it. When I want high quality, I'll record it properly.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
mjones1992
445 IQ
Marshall AVT50 w/ Pedal board ---> SM58 ---> Allen&Heath ZED-10 ---> Laptop (Ableton Live 8)

Sometimes I skip the SM58 and go direct into the ZED-10.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Oct 6, 2013,
Mainer
UG's Cosmic Revolutionary
4,932 IQ
My recording set up is...I take my Samick SGA-30 amp. Plug my Epiphone Les Paul Special II into that. Turn the amp up a bit. Use the microphone on my laptop through Audacity... -_- I suck.
rollertoaster
514 IQ
Guitar> POD XT > Logic 9>Monitor out of some KRK Rokit 5s. A lot of guitar based stuff I write will go into guitar pro 5 at some point too
INSULIN
782 IQ
I just write it down in reg sheet music .I like chords writing songs not riffs
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
I use my standard guitar setup (see sig), mic my amp usually with my SM58 and use a Tascam 2488 MkII as my DAW.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
When I'm coming up with an idea I'm usually just messing about and then write it down in tab and/or standard notation. As far as my recording setup goes it's a Digitech BP355 on a clean setting and into an amp sim, and a Behringer C1-u for microphone needs.
mulefish
UG Addict
2,084 IQ
I use a di box to split my signal. Recording my guitar direct to an interface on one side, whilst going through my pedal board into my amp (which is quite often mic'ed up with an sm57) with the other.

This gives me the option of using vst effects and amp sims, or reamping through any of my effects and amps, or a combination of the two.

I usually record with the aim of not needing to reamp or anything, but I like having the option.
RIP Gooze

cats
tsg31t
1,104 IQ
I really appreciate everyone posting their rigs. This is going to help me out a ton!
kenetrator
26 IQ
When recording my ideas I use my PC, Reason 7, my Line 6 UX2 with Pod Farm 2.5 and an Ibanez Iceman guitar.

I also have a Marshall AVT 150 and a POD HD500 but I don't use them much due to my bedroom being too full of clutter :S
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
2,713 IQ
Jamming: Ditto Looper
Writing: Line in to Duet 2 with amp sim, scratch out a few loops to a click and build an arrangement
Recording: Fender Princeton, very wet -> SM57 or MD421 (or the tube condenser if I'm feeling saucy) -> GAP73 Preamp -> Duet 2 -> Ableton
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite