Hello dear UG people!! How are you? I hope you are all fine. Guitar playing is my hobby. I don't consider myself as an expert/intermediate or technically proficient player like many but yet I like playing great leads and solos on this wonderful instrument. I came across few improvisation videos on Youtube and I noticed many interesting patterns in some of those. I'm not good at transcribing leads but listening to those leads and watching people playing them helped me to tab 2 particular type of patterns among them(the tabs I've made are probably not accurate but this is the closest I could reach and I wish I could provide the video link but at the moment I can't find the video I saw). They sound a bit like Steve Vai to me(I might be wrong). My question to you is how do I construct similar types of pattern?(Kindly check out the images I've attached for the tabs). Any constructive suggestions and helpful comments are most welcome.

I just had a quick browse of the tabs, and it seems like the first one is just a run down and back up of the C major scale (there is the confusing 14th fret (F#) on the high e string which would make that first run a E minor scale i guess, but on the run back up it seems to be all C major notes)

That 2nd little part looks like C minor scale perhaps (I have only recently been learning about scales and notes and stuff like that haha, after about 5 or 6 years playing! xD)

Anyway about your question, how to construct patterns like these?
Well, for me I have made up one recently, just a single string hammer and slide run (thats how I call it anyway haha (there is pull offs too though :P)
To make that I just was looking at the scale for E minor and was just thinking how to more interestingly make all the notes of the scale going upwards, rather than just single note and then the next and the next (sorry if that sounds confusing haha)

Here is the tab for it, its basically 4 times of a single pattern, which goes pick, hammer (next note), pull, hammer(2nd note up), pull, hammer(next note), pull, slide, hammer(next note, which was the 2nd note before :P), pull, then finally slide to the note you just hammered.

(Note: the E minor notes used in the run are displayed below in sequence)

Notice though that although the pattern is the same for each time, the notes are different spacings so different fingers would be used, the first time is 1st 2nd and 4th fingers, second is 1st 3rd 4th, third is a gap between both hammers (i play 1st 2nd and 4th fingers)

It is a bit of a workout for the fingers haha, and maybe it would be better to pick the note at the start of each pattern rather than continuing the run without picking.

Hope thats of some help!
Last edited by H3LLB0Y at Oct 7, 2013,
Quote by stranger_23
They sound a bit like Steve Vai to me(I might be wrong). My question to you is how do I construct similar types of pattern?

It really depends what exactly you like about them. I could probably put together three completely different runs that focus on three completely different elements of the first run alone.

My advice is to learn some theory so you can identify what it is you like about these in particular, although given the two you've posted I can hazard a guess that it's the sound of the fifth intervals that you're locking on to; in those contexts that's a pretty Vai-esque thing to do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by H3LLB0Y
I just had a quick browse...

Thank you helping me, your reply was quite detailed about creating lead pattern. I'll give a try to your example.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It really depends what ...

The improvisations I've seen, few of them had quite fast melodic phrases and sounded sort of dreamy type lead. But the patterns I tabbed after many attempts(mostly trial and error effort), I like them because they sound good and have great feel. Recently I've started to learn some theory although that consumes my limited time of playing and I can't play everyday. So can you please elaborate a bit about this '5th interval sound' lead? I know that chords are constructed with the root, the 3rd and the 5th notes of a scale. I'm trying to learn these three notes of any natural major or minor all over the fretboard and I hope I'll know the position of the notes better than before. After that probably I'll learn to construct arpeggios. But how to create this type of lead with the 5ths of a scale?
Use your 8va, guitarists. Nobody wants to read a dozen ledger lines.

Are you sure you have that first transcription right? The F# in the first bar is the only one, all the other Fs are natural. If it's correct, there's probably just a chord change happening that necessitates using different notes in the melody.

The second thing looks like it should be written with flats - Eb Bb F Ab F - which could be a lot of things. Again, completely depends what chord is being played at the time.

I'd start learning your scale and chord construction. That's really the quickest way to generate musical patterns.
I'm sorry for my belated reply. Thanks everyone for helping me out. I have realized that I need to be good in my theory as well as being good in playing. I'll be working on both as much as I can.