I recently got my first acoustic off of a guy on Craigslist. It's wasn't in the best shape, needs new tuners & the bridge could use some TLC, but what I didn't notice was a crack on the side of the guitar from a bit past the end block to just about midway up it. I'm getting an estimate from my luthier, but that won't be in till some time tomorrow, so I just want some opinions in the meantime.

Guitar Model: '69 Framus 12 string (other than that I'm not sure)

Price Paid: $25
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch
25 bucks? Even if its too expensive to fix, play it til it breaks, thats worth 25 bucks to me.
That's kinda what I was thinking too, but maybe my luthier will come through with a great deal.
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch
It may have cracked from low humidity. Twelve strings tend to self destruct if they're left in E standard tuning also. You need to keep them in D-D standard, and capo up two frets when you play.

If the estimate is too high, it might behoove you to buy a humidifier, put it in your guitar, put your guitar in its case. Wait a while, (days, maybe a few weeks), and see if the gap closes. Then seal up the crack with "Titebond" from the inside. Is the bridge lifting off the body? Because that's a symptom of the guitar being tuned too high.

On a side note, I had a black Framus Les Paul style axe years ago. It had an almost unbelievably fast neck, jumbo frets and all.
Cracks are pretty simple to fix, though considering you bought the guitar for $25, it's certainly going to be more than what you paid for it. Honestly, if the guitar sounds good and it doesn't look like it's going to break in half, just buy a humidifier for a few bucks and deal with it having the crack there, if you don't feel comfortable taking some glue to it yourself. Unless you've researched that guitar and have found it to be worth much more than what you paid (including repair costs), I'd just leave it alone. Framus makes cool acoustics, but from what I've found, many of their older ones aren't worth much for some reason.

Also - As a side note, how come you bought a 12 string as your first acoustic?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cracks are pretty simple to fix, though considering you bought the guitar for $25, it's certainly going to be more than what you paid for it. Honestly, if the guitar sounds good and it doesn't look like it's going to break in half, just buy a humidifier for a few bucks and deal with it having the crack there, if you don't feel comfortable taking some glue to it yourself. Unless you've researched that guitar and have found it to be worth much more than what you paid (including repair costs), I'd just leave it alone. Framus makes cool acoustics, but from what I've found, many of their older ones aren't worth much for some reason.

Also - As a side note, how come you bought a 12 string as your first acoustic?

Is that really all the repair is, humidity and glue? If not could you point me to a tutorial?

And a 12 string as my first acoustic because I've played 6 string electric for a while, I wanted an acoustic, and it was cheap.