Page 1 of 2
Hey ug. I'm new to the forums here and just recently started playing guitar and could use some help advice and knowledge on setting up my gear.

Fwiw I'm in northern Ontario Canada.
My guitar is a peavey odyssey I which is a basswood body set neck rosewood fb and active vfj pickups.

I just picked up a laney cub12r amp to practice with at home as it suited my situation perfectly with the 15w and 1w plugs so I don't wake my kids up playing in the evening and my guitar shop got it for me at 300$ tax in which was substantially cheaper then the other 15w amps there. I loved the clean sound of this amp and the amp has pretty good bluesy sounds but my real tastes are in the metal territory.

From what I've seen so far it has a great clean channel and a lot of reviews say it is pedal friendly. Some of my favourite bands and sounds would be lamb of God <- amazing. I also like parkway drive protest the hero demon Hunter etc.. Too many to list. My amp does not produce this sound on its own so I'm looking for recommendations to get that sound Out of my current set up. Ie: pedals and what have you.

My budget would be in the 200$ give or take to get me that sound if at all possible.
An used Wampler Triple Wreck maybe? It does a Mesa Rectifier type sound. Both LOG and PWD use/used Mesa Rectifier amps I think.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
EQ pedal in the FX Loop on your amp, and a good distortion going into the front. Noise gate is optional but for Lamb of God's play style it will sound a lot better with one.
Quote by godgrinder
An used Wampler Triple Wreck maybe? It does a Mesa Rectifier type sound. Both LOG and PWD use/used Mesa Rectifier amps I think.

LOG used mkiv's for most of their career. I think they switched after sacrament.

I liked the triple wreck. I have been lusting over the bogner pedals. All of them come with a big price tag.

ATM i am listening to killadelphia. Good live album
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by godgrinder

Aren't the guys from Parkway Drive using Peavey 5150 or 6505?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Aren't the guys from Parkway Drive using Peavey 5150 or 6505?

Seem so indeed, one of them seemed to use recto at some point, could be a long time ago though...
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Last edited by godgrinder at Oct 7, 2013,
To be honest, you're not going to get either tone without a more powerful tube amp -- at least not in the same ballpark.

I would recommend saving for a 6505+ 112 combo. That'll do Parkway Drive just fine because they use 6505s.

As for Lamb of God tone, I got very close with my 6505+ and a Dimarzio D-Sonic pickup (there are probably other pickups that would get close as well; Crunch Lab comes to mind.)

At least through my 6505+, the D-Sonic-equipped guitar sounds much different than my Blackouts do. It has an ultra-tight low end that is still beefy and THICK. Yet it still had good highs and harmonics. It doesn't sound overly gainy (overly distorted) yet is still massively heavy-hitting. What I've described is basically Lamb of God tone. I find that when I pick up that guitar, I automatically revert to As the Palaces Burn riffs, lol.

I know that's not what LoG uses; you'd need a Mesa Mark IV/V to get exactly there, but my rig sounds pretty close, plus it can do anything else metal as well. Unfortunately, I've got to sell that D-Sonic pup in order to help fund my new cab...and I no longer have a guitar to keep it in.
The 6505+ would probably wake up his kids in the evening, which is why he bought the 15w/1w.

Also he's just starting out so doesn't really need to spend a lot on pedals to get a good metal sound. Buying expensive pedals for a small practice amp doesn't make sense, it won't transform it magically to a Mesa lol.

You could get by with a couple of Joyo pedals for very cheap from Amazon. They make clones of higher priced pedals.

I'd say just go for these 2, you would get a good metal tone with them.

EQ:
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-6-BAND-Equalizer-Guitar-Effect/dp/B007T8KI6M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1381148892&sr=8-15&keywords=joyo+pedal

Distortion:
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-35-Pocket-incredible-affordable/dp/B007VHQ6YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381150236&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+pocket+metal

There's vids on Youtube you can check out on them.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 7, 2013,
^^^The amp I recommended has a volume knob. When you turn that knob to .5-1, it magically doesn't wake kids up. Yet it still maintains *most* of the tone the amp is known for. Then, on special occasions where he can crank it, he'll be glad he has it.

I'd hate to see the guy go through pedal after pedal trying to get his dream tone -- that will only waste time and money. I've been there and done that.
Quote by KailM
^^^The amp I recommended has a volume knob. When you turn that knob to .5-1, it magically doesn't wake kids up. Yet it still maintains *most* of the tone the amp is known for. Then, on special occasions where he can crank it, he'll be glad he has it.

I'd hate to see the guy go through pedal after pedal trying to get his dream tone -- that will only waste time and money. I've been there and done that.

Considering he has a tube amp (cub12 IS a tube, right?) with good clean channel he might very well have some luck with pedals. In my experience putting dirt pedal in front of SS amp clean channel is generally bad idea because they are sterile and by nature pedals sound smaller than real amp distortion and SS amp makes it apparent. My US dream (riot clone) sounded like shit on my randall and valvestate, but in front of Valveking it sounded very very good.

But then again my Valveking is 100w fullsized head meant for band situations... Still i do believe if he just wants some metal level distortion for casual silent playing/practising pedal should do fine here. 6505 is way overkill here. However i would not waste money on Wamplers and such. Just get some cheap Joyo pedal for few ten bucks. US dream, extreme metal or pocket metal, any of them will do for now. Check youtube for sound samples.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 7, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
LOG used mkiv's for most of their career. I think they switched after sacrament.

I worked their recent tour of Australia and they both used MkIVs. Their own, shipped from the US. They hired Dual Recs, too. Although none of their techs spoke very highly of them...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
I worked their recent tour of Australia and they both used MkIVs. Their own, shipped from the US. They hired Dual Recs, too. Although none of their techs spoke very highly of them...

Nice, that must have been fun damn. I have seen them at least 5 times in the states. From new american gospel to sacrament. One of my favorite bands to see live.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
At 15 watts you may not have the headroom for a pedal to use with it before the power tubes distort at high volume.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Nice, that must have been fun damn. I have seen them at least 5 times in the states. From new american gospel to sacrament. One of my favorite bands to see live.

It was cool.
All in a day's work.

Although the production company could've forked out for a larger truck that wasn't such a pain to pack at 2am.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Blackfire.
EQ pedal in the FX Loop on your amp, and a good distortion going into the front. Noise gate is optional but for Lamb of God's play style it will sound a lot better with one.

What are the differences between putting the eq in the effects loop versus in front of the amp?

The 6505+ would probably wake up his kids in the evening, which is why he bought the 15w/1w.

Also he's just starting out so doesn't really need to spend a lot on pedals to get a good metal sound. Buying expensive pedals for a small practice amp doesn't make sense, it won't transform it magically to a Mesa lol.

You could get by with a couple of Joyo pedals for very cheap from Amazon. They make clones of higher priced pedals.

I'd say just go for these 2, you would get a good metal tone with them.

The that's much too big of an amp also not on my budget. As mentioned I'm just starting out so the laney being all tube and only 300$ flat it made sense. I don't need to copy there tone exactly I'm more or less looking for a way to get a good metal tone out of this amp for now until I can justify buying bigger gear when I'm better. Thanks for pointing out those pedals definitely going to look into them. Would a metal muff be a good pedal for me if I found a used one around 50$?

At 15 watts you may not have the headroom for a pedal to use with it before the power tubes distort at high volume

What do you mean by this?

Thanks for everyone's help so far I'm a sponge for any and all info so bring it on. I'd like to get as much info before . Pull the trigger on something.
Headroom simply is how loud you can get the signal clean before the power tubes distort. Then clean is no longer clean.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by heavymetal2k
What are the differences between putting the eq in the effects loop versus in front of the amp?

You will notice in the FX loop it will have much more effect, and will be able to shape your sound better. Putting it in the front before the gain stages will have less effect in shaping the final sound.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 8, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Headroom simply is how loud you can get the signal clean before the power tubes distort. Then clean is no longer clean.

We'll I won't be playing super loud most of the time since I'm limited when playing once the kids are in bed. On days off I occasionally jam with a buddy who's kinda teaching me how to play that's about the only time it goes real loud. If I use a distortion pedal in front of my amp with the cleans being broken up will it affect the sound drastically? Is there another way to set this up so I can obtain a metal sound without buying another amp? Wonder if while using the 1w with an overdrive or tube screamer would go metal? Or would is just sound rude?

You will notice in the FX loop it will have much more effect, and will be able to shape your sound better. Putting it in the front before the gain stages will have less effect in shaping the final sound.

Perfect thank you. I'm going to keep that In mind once o decide on an eq pedal.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

We'll I won't be playing super loud most of the time since I'm limited when playing once the kids are in bed. On days off I occasionally jam with a buddy who's kinda teaching me how to play that's about the only time it goes real loud. If I use a distortion pedal in front of my amp with the cleans being broken up will it affect the sound drastically? Is there another way to set this up so I can obtain a metal sound without buying another amp? Wonder if while using the 1w with an overdrive or tube screamer would go metal? Or would is just sound rude?

Quote by heavymetal2k

You can also turn up the gain on your amp and use an overdrive. Something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-Ultimate-Overdrive-featuring-components/dp/B005M0CK9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381209706&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+ultimate+drive
Quote by heavymetal2k

The that's much too big of an amp also not on my budget. As mentioned I'm just starting out so the laney being all tube and only 300$ flat it made sense. I don't need to copy there tone exactly I'm more or less looking for a way to get a good metal tone out of this amp for now until I can justify buying bigger gear when I'm better. Thanks for pointing out those pedals definitely going to look into them. Would a metal muff be a good pedal for me if I found a used one around 50$?

There's no point to having a tube amp if the amp doesn't do what you want. Having a tube amp for the sake of it being a tube amp isn't a free pass. If you play metal a SS Crate or Ampeg will be a hell of a much better choice than a Fender, or a Laney Cub in your case.

I agree with everything KailM has said, however if the 6505 is "too much amp" for your apt, look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's a little smaller, and much more versatile. You can get any tone you want out of it. And I can almost guarantee you'll get better tone out of it than running a dirt pedal into your little amp.

Headroom is important for metal. Headroom is wattage. Wattage is not volume. Big amps can certainly be painfully loud. But they have volume knobs so that you can keep them at a volume that works for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
if the 6505 is "too much amp" for your apt, look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's a little smaller, and much more versatile. You can get any tone you want out of it. And I can almost guarantee you'll get better tone out of it than running a dirt pedal into your little amp.

Headroom is important for metal. Headroom is wattage. Wattage is not volume. Big amps can certainly be painfully loud. But they have volume knobs so that you can keep them at a volume that works for you.
+1 listen to this man, however, if you want to keep your cub, look into the links for pedals that Blackfire suggested.
Quote by Blackfire.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Offworld92
There's no point to having a tube amp if the amp doesn't do what you want. Having a tube amp for the sake of it being a tube amp isn't a free pass. If you play metal a SS Crate or Ampeg will be a hell of a much better choice than a Fender, or a Laney Cub in your case.

That is so true. TS, if you decided to buy your Laney just because it was a tube amp, you made a poor choice if metal is what you mainly listen and play. Cub is not a high gain amp, so pretty much any high gain solid state (within reason. Marshall MG sucks but Randalls would have rocked your socks off) would have been a better choice here. Also tube amps are not better than solid states, just different. A lot of oldschool Death Metal bands made their sound with solid state equipment for example. The Ampeg VH140 and its Crate equivalent would have murdered your Laney in everything else but cleans and bluesy crunch, and they are SS through and through and do not cost too much on used market. Not that you can buy them new, they are old and discontinued.

If there is any chance, the best choice would be to sell your Laney and get a modeling amp. The Vypyr Tube is great but if its too much the solid state Vypyrs are good choice too (the 75w model should be enough to jam with a band too), and they do pretty much everything from blues to metal, and work just fine on low volumes.

If you are stuck with your Laney, then distortion pedal is your only choice. The Metal Muff you mentioned is okay. Actually the Joyo Extreme Metal pedal I mentioned is more or less a cheap clone of that, but used there is not much price difference so better go original in this case.

Overdrive pedal might also work if you turn the gain high on amp and then push it over the edge with some Tubescreamer type pedal (volume max and gain low settings). This might be enough to get more and tighter distortion. Hot pickups will help here too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 8, 2013,
Mxr fulbore metal are pretty cheap
used and has alot of tone options.
All of this being said is there an amp whether it be combo or head I can put through a 1x12 that will get me that sweet tone I'm looking the likes of pwd and log or at least in that ball park right from my amp? The laney is currently sitting at the guitar shop waiting for me but I don't have to buy it I could transfer that Money and add my pedal budget to a different amp.

The two shops I have near by don't offer a ton of options due to me being in a very small city but here's basically what I've seen available in my area any and all suggestions welcome.

Amps available.
Music box has plenty of fender and marshals in varying sizes mostly all tube but a few solid states. Not sure if these will deliver my style of music and also the shop seems over priced to me considering most of what they have is cheaper online from say long mquade.

Ray Perrier music carries vox tube and a couple solid states in varying sizes from 20w + laney amps with the smallest being the cub12r only has tube models. They have some line 6 spiders in different sizes 3 ibanez tubes 5w 15w and 40w tube screamer style built in ( hated the way these sounded and also super expensive imo.) the one other amp they had was a Orange tiny terror 15w head. Any of these worth looking into.

Also have a guy looking to sell his 40w tube marshal combo for 400$ think it's a dsl401 he said.

Also if not
Listed here good ideas for possibly a used one in that same 500-600$ budget is welcome. I'd love to have something from mesa boogie but I don't know if I can afford it or if they make something smaller that does my tone well.

Bring on the opinions and suggestions I'm nightshift tonight so I'll be reading and listening to amps all night trying to decide.
Quote by heavymetal2k
All of this being said is there an amp whether it be combo or head I can put through a 1x12 that will get me that sweet tone I'm looking the likes of pwd and log or at least in that ball park right from my amp? The laney is currently sitting at the guitar shop waiting for me but I don't have to buy it I could transfer that Money and add my pedal budget to a different amp.

The two shops I have near by don't offer a ton of options due to me being in a very small city but here's basically what I've seen available in my area any and all suggestions welcome.

Amps available.
Music box has plenty of fender and marshals in varying sizes mostly all tube but a few solid states. Not sure if these will deliver my style of music and also the shop seems over priced to me considering most of what they have is cheaper online from say long mquade.

Ray Perrier music carries vox tube and a couple solid states in varying sizes from 20w + laney amps with the smallest being the cub12r only has tube models. They have some line 6 spiders in different sizes 3 ibanez tubes 5w 15w and 40w tube screamer style built in ( hated the way these sounded and also super expensive imo.) the one other amp they had was a Orange tiny terror 15w head. Any of these worth looking into.

Also have a guy looking to sell his 40w tube marshal combo for 400$ think it's a dsl401 he said.

Also if not
Listed here good ideas for possibly a used one in that same 500-600$ budget is welcome. I'd love to have something from mesa boogie but I don't know if I can afford it or if they make something smaller that does my tone well.

Bring on the opinions and suggestions I'm nightshift tonight so I'll be reading and listening to amps all night trying to decide.

i know this has been brought up, but for $600 you could pick up a new Peavey 6505 combo, better off $400ish for a used one. that would leave money for a boost and still have a little extra.

i owned a 6505 head a long time ago and it is usable at normal TV volumes (i am not a loud TV watcher either). it won't necessarily sound the best, but it still sounds good. just a small sacrifice (keep in mind this was a 120w head and a 4x12"), for some times and you will be able to enjoy the combo at other parts of the day. it doesn't go from nothing to earthshaking at zero flat. it will grow into it. someday if you are gigging, as long as its mic'd it would hold up fine. i have played with somebody who has the combo and me another amp.

so as far as criticism of idea goes, it may not be at its best quiet, even thouogh it sounds fine lower, at least he has what he wants (as far as the tone of some of the bands he said) and can grow into if he want to jam or gig.

most of the bands you listen to use one. also there are xxx or jsx combos if you are patient.

for your reference i play my Mesa MKIV at night all the time, i am conservative on the volume, but still enjoy the sound. i may live in a different circumstances than you, but i have never heard a complaint. during the day i play relatively loud, just not deafening.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Since you haven't actually picked up the amp and can return it changes everything because now you won't be taking a hit on having to sell it and lose money.

6505 112 combo is a good amp for metal like some have said, but it's clean tones leave much to be desired. You said you loved the clean tones out of the Cub, you won't have good clean tones out of the 6505, so you may wan't to keep that in mind. Also you will need a tubescreamer type pedal to boost.

For your situation of wanting to be quiet in the evenings and being able to play with your friend. A 5watt Blackstar HT-5 combo, or the head+ a cabinet of your choosing would work too. Also a tubescreamer to boost for best results. As you can see in this vid 5 watts gets pretty loud if you need it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsO1-1TCchA

If you want to skip and go balls to the wall..

$600 is a good chunk of change for a beginner to be using on an amp. If you really want to utilize that cash and go big and want a Mesa. It may be best to piece an amp head and cab one at a time. I've tracked down a Mesa Single Rectifier in your area for $700, I'm sure you could negotiate lower on it. If you get that head + hot plate($25) you will be able to keep the volume low while still retaining high gain tones. But you will have to save up more and buy a cabinet later for it. But at least you have some more ideas. Here's the link...

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Mesa-Single-Rectifier-W0QQAdIdZ529053273

Hot plate:
http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Custom-Guitars-Metal-Volume/dp/B004ZHHIVI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381284157&sr=8-3&keywords=power+soak

Edit: I just saw it was listed in Ontario but looks like it's south and not north. But there should be other deals out there.

Found another a bit more north same price, not sure how close it is to you.
http://timmins.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Musical-gear-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ443472678
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 8, 2013,
the five watt black star cleans are non existing if he wants to play loud and clean.

I agree that the 6505 doesn't have the best cleans, but they stay clean for quite a while.

If good cleans are a priority as well as gain look for an xxx combo or jsx combo (both used). Or maybe a single rec.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Randall RD50 50 Watts 1X12 Tube Amp

I'm.hearing that this amp makes an awesome metal amp. Cleans not so great but I can live without perfect cleans as I'll majorally Be playing metal and occasionally clean. I can get this ordered in for 399 + tax is that a good route to go to get awesome metal tone with a good pric? Currently also looking onto 5150 and mesa used combos for around the same price.

It seems I'll be reading to go a different route as suggested to acquire the sound I'm looking for.
Quote by heavymetal2k

I'm.hearing that this amp makes an awesome metal amp. Cleans not so great but I can live without perfect cleans as I'll majorally Be playing metal and occasionally clean. I can get this ordered in for 399 + tax is that a good route to go to get awesome metal tone with a good pric? Currently also looking onto 5150 and mesa used combos for around the same price.

It seems I'll be reading to go a different route as suggested to acquire the sound I'm looking for.

Search around for a xxx or jsx, either are better imo. Or plunge in for a 6505. I have owned two rg100es' a rh150g3, and currently own a century 100 combo. Truly none of them are amazing, but

Check it out if you want. What matters is your ears, not mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by heavymetal2k

I doubt Randall has ever made an amp that does NOT deliver some good metal tones for the price point. That has been their bread and butter since Dimebag of Pantera made the brand popular.

That is the older model Randal Diavlo before Mike Fortin, an amp guru, redesigned it. (The new and apparently better equivalent would be RD40C. How much it costs in your area?) I have not heard it live but I've read its okay. Not great or bad, but it does its job. Randall has always been known for their solid states (The almost legendary RG100ES, Warhead, the current RG1503h which I own and love), all delivering great metal tones. That is, if the dry and gritty with big bottom is your thing. On tube side of guitar amps they are not as popular and are severely beaten to pulp by Peavey 5150/6505 (same amp) and such. That amp is so popular for its distortion and that its almost a cliché to recommend it whenever someone asks a metal amp.

But considering your situation I personally would propably choose the Randall (provided I can hear it first and make sure its not shitty excuse for a guitar amp). Not counting in the fact that I am a Randall fanboy it has one edge over the Peavey 5150/6505: It has global master volume! Since you absolutely need the amp to be quiet that knob is gods gift. The Peavey can go low, but the volume controlling is really sensitive. At 0.5 its at bedroom level, at 1 is getting loud and your kids may not like it, 1.5 they definetly wake up and at 2 your better half comes nagging at you. 2.5 blissfully covers the nagging but might end up in divorce.

With global master down you have so much more room finding the sweet spot that is just at the right volume and no need to fear sudden hiccup attacks while doing so.

BTW, also search for Peavey XXX or JSX like trashed recommended. They also have global master, atleast the head version do. Not sure about the combo. For some reason I have a faint memory that the smaller XXX combo does not have one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
So i finally made a decision and purchased. I had to keep the price for the amp fairly low as i didn't want to go overboard just starting out as a new player. Based on the information you have all so graciously supplied me with I told the guys at the shop i did not want to purchase the laney cub12r. I asked the guy about an amp that delivered more metal on it's own that did not require distortion pedals and must be reasonably priced.

Due to me putting the amp on lay away and signing the papers it kind of tied my money up with them which imo isnt really a bad thing. I thought about going used but figured if i could find an amp in my range for metal brand new i may as well and get the warranty etc... Also it keeps me in good standing with the shop not re nagging on a deal i made. Meaning they will continue to hook me up with prices that compete with online prices right in store.

Long story short he brought me over to the Peavey Valveking 112 50watt and i fell in love. It sounded pretty damn good to me it was metal all on its own and they gave it to me for the same price as the quite a bit smaller laney which was 300$ so i felt for an amp that size @ 300$ that was all tube and all metal i couldn't go wrong. Needless to say i love playing on it and had a chance to crank it up to noon on the volume yesterday and wow. My buddy i play guitar with also lent me his other tube screamer to throw in front of it and it's amazing.

Just wanted to thank the guys who helped me in this thread i know i didn't pick up any exact amps suggested here (mesa's were too much $ for me, 5150/6505 would have needed to be ordered and even then retailed for more like 700-800$ and used would defeat the purpose considering i had money tied up in the shop.) You guys definitely helped me move in the direction i wanted to go and ultimately i got an amp i can't imagine not having. Also it doesn't sound bad at all at low volumes and goe low enough to play in the basement at night without hearing it up two stories in the kids rooms.
Valveking is amazing and great deal on used market. I fricking love it! The built in gain boost sucks (kinda fizzy) but that disabled and hammered with tubescreamer-type instead and it delivers some great metal tones which you propably already noticed. A Digitech Bad Monkey (which I also have) is a cheap and popular option for this job.

Few tricks to get most of that amp and as crazy as they seem they work, try them out yourself. First, if you do not have anything (like EQ pedal or noise gate) in the FX Loop bridge it with a patch cable. I dont know what it jumps over but it improves clarity and gain. Another one is to put a dummy jack (just an empty headphone adapter you may have a hundred lying in your drawers) into the Input 1 and use the Input 2 for your guitar only. Again, improves clarity for reasons I do not know. A tech head may be able to explain what it bridges and why it improves things.

And then the usual suspects for potential future upgrades after a year or two. Changing the preamp tubes for better ones and the speaker for higher quality. (the stock Valveking speaker is bit meh... tendency for mud and holds the otherwise fantastic amp back) Celestion V30 or G12-T75 are popular, former for modern metal and latter for classic or extreme stuff.

*edit* Oh, and here is the huge-ass Valveking thread which you may want to examine.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296
And a wiki for all Valveking related, including some mods if you are handy with a solder.
http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 12, 2013,
I have a valveking for practice and general fun. get a Digitech Hardwire cm-2 overdrive and it will kick the vk into modern metal territory even at low volumes and sound good.
I have a vk as well, It's the vk100 head though not the combo, but pretty much the same thing. The patch chord mod works, although you would be better off using the effects loop for an eq pedal... It makes it easier to dial in, and also works as a master volume. I haven't really noticed the difference with the dummy jack... I just use input 2 and leave input 1 alone...ymmv. With just the amp knobs and an eq I can get pretty close to log. Putting an od pedal in front of it opens up a whole new world of metal tone. At the end of the day, I love the vk, but still find myself wanting the 6505.

I've got to give you huge props for getting a valveking as a first amp! It's something you wont grow out of any time soon. congrats
Last edited by dropb81 at Oct 13, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Valveking is amazing and great deal on used market. I fricking love it! The built in gain boost sucks (kinda fizzy) but that disabled and hammered with tubescreamer-type instead and it delivers some great metal tones which you propably already noticed. A Digitech Bad Monkey (which I also have) is a cheap and popular option for this job.

Few tricks to get most of that amp and as crazy as they seem they work, try them out yourself. First, if you do not have anything (like EQ pedal or noise gate) in the FX Loop bridge it with a patch cable. I dont know what it jumps over but it improves clarity and gain. Another one is to put a dummy jack (just an empty headphone adapter you may have a hundred lying in your drawers) into the Input 1 and use the Input 2 for your guitar only. Again, improves clarity for reasons I do not know. A tech head may be able to explain what it bridges and why it improves things.

And then the usual suspects for potential future upgrades after a year or two. Changing the preamp tubes for better ones and the speaker for higher quality. (the stock Valveking speaker is bit meh... tendency for mud and holds the otherwise fantastic amp back) Celestion V30 or G12-T75 are popular, former for modern metal and latter for classic or extreme stuff.

*edit* Oh, and here is the huge-ass Valveking thread which you may want to examine.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296
And a wiki for all Valveking related, including some mods if you are handy with a solder.
http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

Yes I absolutely love this valveking I've played on it a few more times and I can't quit it. The metal on tap is pretty amazing for a 300$ budget amp it's loud enough to jam with my buddy's marshal half stack (not full volume of course). I'm usin. An older ibanez ts7 for the meantime but as I progress I'll definitely look into my own overdrive pedal as I'm borrowing his now that he's got a,ts9. Thanks for the info and threads been reading like crazy about this amp and the mods for it.

I have a valveking for practice and general fun. get a Digitech Hardwire cm-2 overdrive and it will kick the vk into modern metal territory even at low volumes and sound good

Can anyone else verify this? I will eventually look into an overdrive pedal of my own and an equalizer pedal for effects loop also. Definitely considering joyo at the moment mostly for cost efficiency but if someone here with a vk112 can point out any other version that will push me a,littler closer to the log/pwd sound I'm all ears.

I have a vk as well, It's the vk100 head though not the combo, but pretty much the same thing. The patch chord mod works, although you would be better off using the effects loop for an eq pedal... It makes it easier to dial in, and also works as a master volume. I haven't really noticed the difference with the dummy jack... I just use input 2 and leave input 1 alone...ymmv. With just the amp knobs and an eq I can get pretty close to log. Putting an od pedal in front of it opens up a whole new world of metal tone. At the end of the day, I love the vk, but still find myself wanting the 6505.

I've got to give you huge props for getting a valveking as a first amp! It's something you wont grow out of any time soon. congrats

From the sounds of it an eq pedal is a must for better tone and getting the sound I want while also getting that effects loop in use. Any eq/amp settings for that log tone to help me out? And thanks I'm seriously ecstatic about this amp.
Tune your guitar to drop c#, or drop c (cant remember off hand) just play ghost walking and tune your bottom string to the first note after the opening slide, then tune the rest of the guitar to it. volume and tone on guitar at 10 using the bridge pickup, in my case a duncan distortion.

my base settings- (although still playing with them)
On the head- presence-10, resonance-2, treb-12oclock, mids-11oclock, bass-2oclock, gain-2oclock, boost-out, gain-in. texture knob at noon.

on the eq pedal(boss ge-7) slightly boosting lows, and slightly cutting mids, leaving treb at 0, slight adjustments make a big difference. log uses more mids than most metal bands so kinda play with it by ear.

also have a boss ns2 noise gate in the loop after the eq pedal that helps with the chugs.

Sounds good to my ears, good luck.
Last edited by dropb81 at Oct 13, 2013,
Quote by heavymetal2k

Can anyone else verify this? I will eventually look into an overdrive pedal of my own and an equalizer pedal for effects loop also. Definitely considering joyo at the moment mostly for cost efficiency but if someone here with a vk112 can point out any other version that will push me a,littler closer to the log/pwd sound I'm all ears.

I dont see why it wouldnt. To my knowledge (though I may be mistaken) Hardwire overdrive is just expanded/modified Bad Monkey with more features. Classic setting being the tubescreamerish and Modified is something else. But overdrive is an overdrive and they all should give a good kick to your amps balls just like the TS you have loaned.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
With an eq pedal is there anything else that would help me get better sound at low volume? I find the sound muddy and boneless at low volumes nothing like it was turned up some. Any tips are appreciated. Will an eq in fx loop allow me to get better sound while maintaining lower volumes?
I had a Valveking combo for a couple years and it never sounded that great when it was quiet. That's what you get with a lot of tube amps, kind of why the idea of practice amps came around.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Page 1 of 2