Hey everyone, this is my band Awakened Inferno's latest recording. Just putting it up to see what you guys think about it, seeking some constructive criticism and general feedback.

http://awakenedinferno.bandcamp.com/

The guitar gear we used was...
Carvin V3 100w head
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

If you guys have any questions about recording or anything else, fire away!

Happy listening
Writing as I listen. Okay judging right from the start, that's an awesome guitar tone. Really digging the sound. Sounds very polished the song. Drum is a bit quiet to my taste, or the guitar a bit too loud for that matter. Really nice production, sounds awesome. Very tight guitar playing nice stuff man. I really like the mid crunch those guitars are churning out. Sounds really natural and alive but still metal. I love the level of gain too. It's just enough to make it awesome but not overdoing it. Really tight crunch. Please tell me the chain on the guitars? What cab are you using? What MIC? Position etc.

Solo at 3:03 is cool. Kind of old school. Or well, hard to describe. It's a nice combination of old metal and modern metal. Meets up really well. I'm not really digging all of the vocals though. The kinda dissonant notes are nice on guitar but I don't enjoy them in the vocals that much. He has quite an awesome voice it's jsut his note choice isn't for me or something. Kind of reminds me of Nevermore somehow. That guy also is an awesome vocalist but the notes he picks are definitely not the notes that I would have wanted to hear if you catch my drift.

Cool song, and I love the production. Could you share some information on the recording chain for those guitars?

If you have time check out my song:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1619081
It's a bit more modern, and I didn't get a guitar tone as awesome as yours. But it's something.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Quote by pinguinpanic
Writing as I listen. Okay judging right from the start, that's an awesome guitar tone. Really digging the sound. Sounds very polished the song. Drum is a bit quiet to my taste, or the guitar a bit too loud for that matter. Really nice production, sounds awesome. Very tight guitar playing nice stuff man. I really like the mid crunch those guitars are churning out. Sounds really natural and alive but still metal. I love the level of gain too. It's just enough to make it awesome but not overdoing it. Really tight crunch. Please tell me the chain on the guitars? What cab are you using? What MIC? Position etc.

Solo at 3:03 is cool. Kind of old school. Or well, hard to describe. It's a nice combination of old metal and modern metal. Meets up really well. I'm not really digging all of the vocals though. The kinda dissonant notes are nice on guitar but I don't enjoy them in the vocals that much. He has quite an awesome voice it's jsut his note choice isn't for me or something. Kind of reminds me of Nevermore somehow. That guy also is an awesome vocalist but the notes he picks are definitely not the notes that I would have wanted to hear if you catch my drift.

Cool song, and I love the production. Could you share some information on the recording chain for those guitars?

If you have time check out my song:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1619081
It's a bit more modern, and I didn't get a guitar tone as awesome as yours. But it's something.

Hey man, thanks for the listen. How we recorded the guitars is we started with just a raw take straight in to the desk, once all the takes were right we re-amped them by feeding that raw signal in to whichever amp we used. My guitar used the Carvin and Chris used the Mesa.

We used a standard Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab with a set mic position made by our engineers; who play in a band 'Sounds of Vengeance', which is placed by the top-right speaker almost touching the fabric and pointed in the left direction.

What really attributed to the guitar tone was not only that we double tracked the rhythm tracks; except for the chorus where we quadruple tracked, but the use of an attenuator, which allowed us to really drive the valves in the amp without having excruciating volumes. Read more about attenuators here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/power_attenuators_common_myths_dispelled.html

As for the vocals, thanks for the perspective and feedback. It is I who is the vocalist And it's interesting to hear your feedback. What I was going for in the song was just to get a little out of my comfort zone as far as melody went.

Thanks for all the feedback and the listen, feel free to grab a free download of it on the bandcamp
Very cool man!
I really enjoyed listening to this track. Great guitar work and sound! Really like the snare tone, the kick is a bit low though. I think the guitars are a bit louder than they shoudl be but hell its a way better mix than I can do haha. I think the composition was good and interesting throughout, the vocals did not do anything for me though. I'm not a fan of that nasaly singing thing which is what it sounded like to me.
Mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618478
Quote by TheProgWay
Very cool man!
I really enjoyed listening to this track. Great guitar work and sound! Really like the snare tone, the kick is a bit low though. I think the guitars are a bit louder than they shoudl be but hell its a way better mix than I can do haha. I think the composition was good and interesting throughout, the vocals did not do anything for me though. I'm not a fan of that nasaly singing thing which is what it sounded like to me.
Mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618478

Thanks for the listen and the feedback, dude. The attenuator that we used was like this one http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Guitarist/343/Rivera3-630-80.jpg
First solo needs more gain and treble in the tone, it sounds pretty weak overall. The actual phrasing of the solo was pretty great.

Really like the song actually. I love the vocal melodies and the way they go against the grain. The screaming needs some work though.

The second guitar solo sounds a lot better tonewise but still a tad more gain would make it much stronger
Bocob,
I had to listen at fairly low volumes due to high frequencies that are a bit harsh on my ears (but I am sensitive to that); otherwise the audio quality is good. Some of the guitar riffs really rock! Vocals are good for the genre. Instrumentally, everyone is playing quite well. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1617055
Quote by BloodReverence
First solo needs more gain and treble in the tone, it sounds pretty weak overall. The actual phrasing of the solo was pretty great.

Really like the song actually. I love the vocal melodies and the way they go against the grain. The screaming needs some work though.

The second guitar solo sounds a lot better tonewise but still a tad more gain would make it much stronger

Interesting feedback about the guitar solos. I guess we didn't want the solos to be all too piercing. Thanks about the vocal melodies, this was a song I tried to push myself on in terms of not being monotonous. I cannot scream! If you can suggest any way I could improve, I would love to investigate!
Head over to the Screaming/Growling section of the forum (under vocals) and ask there man, best place to get advice.

I think you did pretty well at the vocal melodies, it's more of a style i enjoy to be honest. Much better than just cheesy power/glam stuff that you usually hear.
great intro with the drums, sort of reminds me of Trivium with the vocals,The bass sits really well in the mix. there seems to be alot of compression on the guitars. around 2:09 or so when the high end riff somes in on right speaker, you can hear the compression. Meaning the palm muting is being muffled, i think if it were less compression we can truely hear the tone better, but its just opionion if this is the sound you guys were going for, Really cool track! 4:02 rules man. The solo section was really cool, but i think for the rhythm guitar in the background could be panned, to give it more of a fuller sound, to have the rhythm and bass more beefy together. Great track man!

I was wondering if you could give me cratique on my track, any tips on how to improve would be much appreciated , https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1619206
Quote by Metal Turtle
great intro with the drums, sort of reminds me of Trivium with the vocals,The bass sits really well in the mix. there seems to be alot of compression on the guitars. around 2:09 or so when the high end riff somes in on right speaker, you can hear the compression. Meaning the palm muting is being muffled, i think if it were less compression we can truely hear the tone better, but its just opionion if this is the sound you guys were going for, Really cool track! 4:02 rules man. The solo section was really cool, but i think for the rhythm guitar in the background could be panned, to give it more of a fuller sound, to have the rhythm and bass more beefy together. Great track man!

I was wondering if you could give me cratique on my track, any tips on how to improve would be much appreciated , https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1619206

Didn't quite understand what you meant about the compression around 2:09 as there is no palm muting in the high end riff. Maybe I'm not listening out for the right thing though... correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting feedback about the solo section, we only had one guitar with a double rhythm track in that part so that after the solo when it goes in to the down-tempo riff it is more effective.

Thanks for your time and feedback though, appreciate it
Wow, sweet riffage! Badass. Vocals are nice, real nice solo there too. Songwriting is pretty awesome, quality is good. kept my attention pretty well throughout. Overall its some sweet stuff, Nice work!
I'm not really into this kind of stuff, but for what it is it's pretty good. It sounds really professional to me. The guitar playing is good and so is the drumming. The voice is really haunting and that's good for this kind of stuff, surely. Again not my thing but it sounds good and professional. I guess if I heard this on the radio, I wouldn't doubt it was made by a succesful band. Thanks for your comment on my song!
In general, I would take a very close look at your vocal presence range (2khz-4khz) and see what exactly is forcing you to bump (or centralize) the vocals into that region. Go through each and EVERY instrument and EQ sweep to find the spots that are killing your vox. I feel like your vocals are lacking because you are compensating here, which is leaving me with a very "nasally" impression from your singer--not good.

If you smooth that frequency area out, you'll have a much better perception of your mix's presence in general. Turn the guitars and vocals down 2db or 3db while you're at it, let the drums carry the energy of the song (but not be overpowering). The bass seemed to be relatively fine to me as far as level goes. To be honest, I'm not currently in an environment where I can properly monitor your lows.

As far as playing and stylistic things go, I dig it. Trivium-esque isn't necessarily a bad thing--this piece reminds me of moments off of The Crusade. The vocals are nearly there! Keep practicing. Your guitar tone is pretty solid, I'm curious as to the mic configuration you used. I would consider blending two mic signals for the style you're approaching, honestly. An Sm57 up closer at the cap edge and something similar to a u87 a little bit further back would be cool if you can manage phase properly. Experiment with positions, you'll be amazed at how much your tone changes.

If you keep refining your mixing, this track will be much more impressionable than what it already is. I like the way you play, and the performance/clip editing is all very well done and tight. Cheers!
First impression is that this seems really well produced. Great intro with some great variations. Not sure about the vocals, something seems a bit off. Almost feels as if they're buried a bit too deep in the mix.

The guitar solo was amazing, comes in really smooth. To be honest I'm not sure I'd change anything except for the vocals, well done.