Hi there! I recently bought a secondhand MIM Telecaster. It had some massive Fret Buzz and I had it set up in a guitar store but there's still some fret buzz, specially on the first frets. Also, it's only the , second third and fourth string that have noticeable fret buzz, the others have some barely noticeable fret buzz at most. I've been reading about common fret buzz problems and I think that the action at my nut could be too low.

Can I fix it without having to adjust the truss rod? Could I just adjust the adjustable things in the bridge? I don't know how they're called, but each string has a piece of it and each piece has 2 small screws, I'd only have to buy an Allen Key but I'm not sure on the size.

Any advice on NOT breaking the guitar in the process? I'm really scared of manipulating the truss rod and accidentally breaking it or something.
Last edited by TheClown at Oct 7, 2013,
The truss rod won't break. I have adjusted it many times (I even once turned it to the wrong direction and nothing happened). I don't understand how somebody could break his truss rod. It needs some really extreme adjustment to break. Just try to adjust it a bit and see if the fret buzz goes away. Sometimes nothing else can fix the problem.

I wouldn't raise the action. My Charvel needed truss rod adjustment (it had low fret buzz), you could of course fix the buzz by raising the action but I had to raise it so much that it was really hard to play my guitar. Also, you should raise your action if the buzz was on the higher frets but in this case it's not.

I would read some tutorials about the truss rod first. But it's not a thing you should be scared of. I hate when people say don't touch it because it instantly destroys your guitar - you need to be a complete idiot to destroy your guitar. Just adjust it 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn at the time and you should be fine. If you don't notice any difference, I would turn it back to where it was because then your truss rod obviously isn't the problem.

Be careful with truss rod adjustment, just like with any other adjustment.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 7, 2013,
I've cranked on 100+ truss rods in my time and never had I had one break or strip on me. Most people think there is a ticking bomb attached and once you begin adjusting it is only a matter of time. Stop thinking this way. It is a tool to adjust your guitar, and must be used to make your instrument work properly in some cases. Use it.

If you need to tighten it just don't crank hard on the thing, as in over tighten with muscle. If you need to loosen the rod just don't unwind it till it it is lose in the neck.

Leave the strings attached when you adjust it. Strum your stings to confirm fret buzz, then tighten or loosen the rod. I turn the rod a good half turn at a time testing the string buzz after each turn. If it gets worse.....I turn it the other way till I have all the buzz removed.

I almost guarantee this will fix your issues. It is also a good practice to get comfortable working on your guitars. It will save you tons of money over time, and you will learn as you go.
So, if my action is too low at the nut, should I tighten or loosen the truss rod? Should I spin it counter-clockwise or clockwise? I still haven't bought any tool, but thanks a lot for your advice.