I would like some educated opinions here, please. I have a Marshall Valvestate 4080 amp that I bought in the mid-90s for around $500 new. Since I have owned it I have had to have it repaired twice. The last time was about a year ago. I have spent about what I paid for the amp in repairs.

Well, the amp is on the fritz again. It has consistent power, but the sound fades in and out on both channels. I replaced the preamp tube and that wasn't the problem.

I love the tone I get from this amp, but don't want to keep dumping money into it. I can't decided whether to give it another chance and have it repaired or junk it. A third thought that occurred in my brain was to study some on line repair tutorials and attempt surgery myself. It's already broken, how much worse could I possible make it?

I do have two other amps: a Vox VT30 and a Rogue 40 watt stereo chorus combo.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by knifeboy at Oct 7, 2013,
Scrap it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Scrap it.

x2.

What's your budget for a new amp?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by knifeboy
A third thought that occurred in my brain was to study some on line repair tutorials and attempt surgery myself. It's already broken, how much worse could I possible make it?

Agreed, and there's no such thing as bad knowledge.

If you've got the time, this is your best option.

If not, scrap heap.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Agreed, and there's no such thing as bad knowledge.

If you've got the time, this is your best option.

If not, scrap heap.

I missed that part.

TS pull it apart and look for bad solder joints or overloaded components. A good visual is always the first step.

Edit: make it's not plugged into the wall anymore.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Scrap it.

Transistor amps will nickel and dime you to death once they start going. Also, all Marshall are factory made, so the knobs and everything are soldered with to the board, making them super easy to have loose connections regularly. Just a note.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker