Yep, as the title says, this is another "what amp should i get?" thread. Being stuck with a line 6 spider right now is making me less enthusiastic about playing day by day, it sounds pretty terrible, I can make pretty good tones with my Boss ME-50 but nowhere near what i want. After getting paid this month i decided im gonna save £300 from this months pay, and £300/400 from next months pay so ill have £600-700 and id maybe put a bit more to it if its worth it.

I play mostly metal(prog metal/"djent", some metalcore, probably some other variations too), some rock(alternative, classic etc), and occasionally bluesy jazzy types. Im influenced right now by Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Misha Mansoor, Tosin Abasi etc so hopefully that can give you an idea of the kinda tones im looking for. Im willing to invest in effects too, but i have a Boss ME-50 that might be capable of boosting it for "Djenty" tones. I probably wouldnt be gigging, so it would just be for bedroom use or maybe jamming with friends.

I looked at the Line 6 DT25 which could be a major competitor, although im not so keen on the main drive channel being modelled on a dual recto, but that could change when i try it.
The other thing ive looked at is the Line 6 Pod HD Pro which alot of youtube guitarists use and its really the closest thing to the Axe Fx i could get.
Can any of you help me on my amp hunt and steer me in the right direction?

*ALSO i plan on buying a 7/8 string soon too so hopefully thatll give you an idea on what else to look for

TL;DR - Budget £600/700 maybe a bit more, need a versatile amp that sounds good at bedroom levels.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Last edited by leigh596 at Oct 7, 2013,
Quote by leigh596
Yep, as the title says, this is another "what amp should i get?" thread. Being stuck with a line 6 spider right now is making me less enthusiastic about playing day by day, it sounds pretty terrible, I can make pretty good tones with my Boss ME-50 but nowhere near what i want. After getting paid this month i decided im gonna save £300 from this months pay, and £300/400 from next months pay so ill have £600-700 and id maybe put a bit more to it if its worth it.

I play mostly metal(prog metal/"djent", some metalcore, probably some other variations too), some rock(alternative, classic etc), and occasionally bluesy jazzy types. Im influenced right now by Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Misha Mansoor, Tosin Abasi etc so hopefully that can give you an idea of the kinda tones im looking for. Im willing to invest in effects too, but i have a Boss ME-50 that might be capable of boosting it for "Djenty" tones. I probably wouldnt be gigging, so it would just be for bedroom use or maybe jamming with friends.

I looked at the Line 6 DT25 which could be a major competitor, although im not so keen on the main drive channel being modelled on a dual recto, but that could change when i try it.
The other thing ive looked at is the Line 6 Pod HD Pro which alot of youtube guitarists use and its really the closest thing to the Axe Fx i could get.
Can any of you help me on my amp hunt and steer me in the right direction?

*ALSO i plan on buying a 7/8 string soon too so hopefully thatll give you an idea on what else to look for

TL;DR - Budget £600/700 maybe a bit more, need a versatile amp that sounds good at bedroom levels.

Where will you be doing your shopping? It's important to know so we know what we are looking at and not suggesting stuff that's not in your area. I personally always recommend try before you buy from a local store simply because it's safer. You won't get any delivery damage and you will know what you like there and then.

I see alot of modeling amps you seem to be thinking off and generally they can be great for practice and playing around. With your budget maybe a small tube head?

Laney ironheart 15 watt is good for your gain and has and 1 watt mode and headphone jack so good for practice and is more then enough for jamming and hooking up to a PA.£300. One issue would be no switchable clean channel which I assume you would want. With your budget if your going to buy a tube head remember the Cab so i don't want to recommend a £600 head.

Another option could be Blackstar HT 20 combo. Footswitchable clean and dirt and a ISF knob to modify the tone so you can go more american mesa to more british marshall. around £500.

Marshall dsl 15 £550 Don't know what to say about this but it's probably better for your rock then metal but then again you can always jam a pedal infront of it.

But take a look around your guitar store and try out whatever catches your eye really versatility is always a strange thing for me because whenever I get a modeling amp I only ever use one channel as kinda my tone that I can do my metal or anything on then some simple clean. But again try before you buy anything.
I own an HT-20 combo. Sounds pretty good stock, but better with a boost up front. Mine is also horrendously noisy, although it may simply be my guitars, if this is a universal issue, a noise-gate is an absolute must.

Cleans are absolutely gorgeous, dirty tones are good, pinch harmonics really jump out of the amp (this was the biggest surprise switching from a solid-state to an all valve amp.

Best of luck
Ill be shopping in GuitarGuitar in Glasgow since its an hour away from my house and stocks almost all of the amps id want to try plus some guitars that could give me a different idea of the sounds i could achieve with them through the amp like 7 strings.

I like the Ironheart but id probably go for the Studio version for the extra channel and then get some KRK Rokit 5 monitors to run it through until i could get a powered cab or power amp and cab.
The Blackstar HT20 is also nice, i looked at it a while back and really liked the ISF controls but i was told that the HT40 was better for my needs as it had the 2 modes for each channel which combined with the ISF should give me every sound i want, but i dont know if it would sound good at a low volume or if it would be too loud for home use. The Blackstars are sounding convincing now, even if i have to buy a noise gate and maybe a tube screamer which i was planning on buying anyway.
As for the Marshall, i dont think it would be an option, although it could do blues and rock well, but it would need alot of tweaking with pedals and id rather have 90% of the sounds i want on tap.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, i usually use only one of the channels on my amp and the clean channel too, but thats probably because the other channels sound terrible haha.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
Ill be shopping in GuitarGuitar in Glasgow since its an hour away from my house and stocks almost all of the amps id want to try plus some guitars that could give me a different idea of the sounds i could achieve with them through the amp like 7 strings.

I like the Ironheart but id probably go for the Studio version for the extra channel and then get some KRK Rokit 5 monitors to run it through until i could get a powered cab or power amp and cab.
The Blackstar HT20 is also nice, i looked at it a while back and really liked the ISF controls but i was told that the HT40 was better for my needs as it had the 2 modes for each channel which combined with the ISF should give me every sound i want, but i dont know if it would sound good at a low volume or if it would be too loud for home use. The Blackstars are sounding convincing now, even if i have to buy a noise gate and maybe a tube screamer which i was planning on buying anyway.
As for the Marshall, i dont think it would be an option, although it could do blues and rock well, but it would need alot of tweaking with pedals and id rather have 90% of the sounds i want on tap.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, i usually use only one of the channels on my amp and the clean channel too, but thats probably because the other channels sound terrible haha.

Well I just this video on the DSL of a kinda metalcore ish track just boasted with a
SD-1 and through a 4x12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwI1ggYPGM

So you know maybe it has the little more versatility your after.
Quote by itsonlyauser
Well I just this video on the DSL of a kinda metalcore ish track just boasted with a
SD-1 and through a 4x12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwI1ggYPGM

So you know maybe it has the little more versatility your after.

That sounds pretty good. I definitely dont doubt the dsl's abilities but as i said, id rather have an amp that has most of the sounds i want. That video shows a nice sound that i could probably use so you never know, i might end up going that way once i try it but right now im not convinced by it
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700