Let's say I buy 5 or 10 bottles of wine that's good for conservation each year. In 20 years from now, I start to sell them after they are 20 years old. Would that be a good thing to do? I work in a steakhouse and my boss told me they had a bottle from 1997 and it was worth 1250$.

What do the wine experts of the pit think about that?
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by shelovemyguitar
Let's say I buy 5 or 10 bottles of wine that's good for conservation each year. In 20 years from now, I start to sell them after they are 20 years old. Would that be a good thing to do? I work in a steakhouse and my boss told me they had a bottle from 1997 and it was worth 1250$.

What do the wine experts of the pit think about that?

May be worth that much. But will people pay that price?
Quote by shelovemyguitar
and it was worth 1250$.
* $1250

That's all I have to contribute.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Oct 7, 2013,
Do you know enough about wine to make such investments?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
You can't buy shitty £10 Wine from the shop and expect it to be worth hundreds a few years later.
Wine speculation can be lucrative, but you'll need to know more about what wines to acquire, and you'll need adequate storage for them. Improper storage will completely ruin your investment.

Wine doesn't automagically get more valuable with age, crappy wine in 20 years is just old, crappy wine.

I'm not an expert, but I have a friend that is a US importer of French wines and this is what I've gathered from him over the years. YMMV.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I prefer wine conversation

EDIT: Serious talk, what I learned from my stay in some Oregonian wine country earlier this year: all wines inherently age differently. Some don't come to full fruition for a few years or so and really mature at the time. Just because they are good wines at the start does not mean they will be good in approx. 20 years or what have you. You have to know the wines you have very well. I assume they're reds?
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Oct 7, 2013,
There's a reason the old wines are expensive; they've been treated with care by experts. You can't just go and buy a $5 bottle of wine and expect it to be worth thousands in 20 years. If that were true, you wouldn't be the first person to try and make money from it.
I never said I'd buy a 10$ for ****'s sake (because that's how we write it here ) bottle and let it sit on my desk for 20 years. I said I'd buy some proper wine made to age well. I would also probable buy 5 different bottles just in case some age better than others. I would also conserve it properly (I'd do some research just to make sure.)

I'm not saying I know enough to do it, I'm asking if it's possible. And of course people would pay the price for those. They're almost like collectables...

EDIT: Seriously where is it written in my first post that I'd buy some cheap ass wine crap?
Quote by DarkLiquor

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Last edited by shelovemyguitar at Oct 7, 2013,
The only issue then is the return. A good wine will cost you a lot now, and it will take a long time to make your money back. If you have plenty of money to put into this, it could be okay for you, but if you (or something else) messes it up, then you've lost a lot of money. A lot of things can happen to a bottle of wine in 20 years.
I wouldn't recommend it. It can be done, but it requires an extremely good knowledge of expensive wine, to be around people into whine production (you usually buy such bottles directly by the producer, not at your supermarkt) and to still be around people interested in expensive wine in 20 years (to sell it, but may be less relevant in 20 years :p).

If you have to ask that question on a guitar forum, I'd think you don't know enough about it to do it anyway.

PS: The only people I know that do something like that keep half those bottles for themselves, and sell the other half... to not loose to much money with the one they drank. But to plan on making a good amount of money out of it, it would require loads of money to invest in it.
Last edited by Djaydjay at Oct 7, 2013,
Asking for advices in the pit is never a good idea anyway
Quote by DarkLiquor

Wake up people!
Quote by shelovemyguitar
. And of course people would pay the price for those. They're almost like collectables...

The last thing people would do, especially a purchase for triple (or quadruple) figures, is sink it some dude who has some old wine out back

You can't attest to the quality of the wine you're selling but actual wine collectors and vineyards can with theirs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Oct 7, 2013,
Also consider that, in 20 years, buying expensive wine may not be anyone's priority.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I think buying some low risk bonds would be smarter.

or some high risk stocks, like asteroid mining start-ups.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
You should buy bottles of wine, and then destroy the vineyards and wineries from whence they came. The value of your bottles will skyrocket after 20 years. It the same thing as a painting skyrocketing after the artist died.

"Yes, I have numerous bottles from the now-defunct, but eternally loved Winery X. We'll start the bidding at $15,000."
if i buy a case of boxed wine, will it be worth $1000 in 20 years?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
if i buy a case of boxed wine, will it be worth $1000 in 20 years?

depends. will is still be cool to like old awful things in the year 2033?

wait. will this generation be to 2033 hipsters what the 90s are to current ones?!

ahhh.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i miss going to basement shows and watching hipster kids drink bags of wine. good times.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug