I think i accidentally deleted my previous post. Bah.

Basically, my recording setup is:
American Strat --> M-Audio Fast Track Pro --> Logic Pro 9 --> Guitar Rig 2.0

The sound is atrocious. I thought, after purchasing the American strat, that the sound quality would improve, but it really hasn't. It sounds so thin and anemic. It also doesn't "feel" right at all. I think this is caused by the latency...it just feels slow and gross to play and is really disheartening. My guitar sounds amazing through my peavey delta blues 115 amp, but awful any time i try to record. I was considering purchasing an elevenrack, but for $400, i want to know that that will amend the problem.

Here's a soundclip of my recordings

www.soundcloud.com/redtrex
Mmmm, i dont know what is the exact problem but u can try updating the asio driver for the latency, and for the sound u may wanna try the latest guitar rig or personally my favorite, amplitube, it just sounds so much better. Hope it works!
Quote by Mimotasis
Mmmm, i dont know what is the exact problem but u can try updating the asio driver for the latency, and for the sound u may wanna try the latest guitar rig or personally my favorite, amplitube, it just sounds so much better. Hope it works!

i have amplitube..not a big fan so far ...would a better preamp like eleven rack instead of m-audio make a big difference?
I suggest mic'ing the amp and getting a new interface. I suggest the Scarlett 2i2. Like $150 but the shit sounds clean man. Also for a mic I suggest the Shure SM57. $100 but its a classic that all the pros use for amp mic'ing.
Latency is almost surely due to the bad drivers or settings in your DAW. Did you set your DAw to use asio drivers? Also if you are using an old computer or laptop (let alone netbook) it is possible that it is too week to process in real time.
I use line6 tone port as interface and it is great:
http://youtu.be/6J9f-7qmLA0
Quote by atza
Latency is almost surely due to the bad drivers or settings in your DAW. Did you set your DAw to use asio drivers? Also if you are using an old computer or laptop (let alone netbook) it is possible that it is too week to process in real time.
I use line6 tone port as interface and it is great:

Can you like, not spam the crap out of us with that audio jungle bullshit? not to mention you sound like a (bad) Line 6 salesperson.
It won't be latency. You should have the Playback engine set to 128 Samples for recording. I'm not sure where it is in Logic; try under something like "Setup" then look for "Playback Engine" or "Sample Rate" or something similar.

As for the tone; there's nothing wrong with the Mbox; they're pretty good. Are you pushing the drive on the amp sim, or have you boosted the level on the way in, using the Mbox gain?

Other than that, it's most likely EQ. Roll down everything above 10k Hz, and below 65 Hz, and that should tighten things up a bit. Other than that, it's just a matter of choosing the best sounding amp / cab / mic combination.

Hope that helps mate.
I suggest the Scarlett 2i2. Like $150 but the shit sounds clean man. Also for a mic I suggest the Shure SM57. $100 but its a classic that all the pros use for amp mic'ing.
MooN
Check your input gains, not just your output gains. If it's clipping signal on the way in, no amount of post-processing will clean that crap up.
I use PODFarm, and I constantly have to go back into the settings and turn the inputs down, or it gets (more) fizzy and unclear.
Then make sure your output gains aren't clipping, but that's basic knowledge.
Sweep a low-pass filter down from 20kHz to around 10-12kHz and see if that removes some of the fizzyness.
High pass up to 80 or 100Hz to clean up a muddy low end.
Make sure your signal is going through a cabinet simulator, or impulse response after the amp sim. Or even download some free ones, like GuitarHacks or God's cab and put them in an impulse loader as they often sound a lot better than stock ones provided by software companies.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Check your input gains, not just your output gains. If it's clipping signal on the way in, no amount of post-processing will clean that crap up.
I use PODFarm, and I constantly have to go back into the settings and turn the inputs down, or it gets (more) fizzy and unclear.
Then make sure your output gains aren't clipping, but that's basic knowledge.
Sweep a low-pass filter down from 20kHz to around 10-12kHz and see if that removes some of the fizzyness.
High pass up to 80 or 100Hz to clean up a muddy low end.
Make sure your signal is going through a cabinet simulator, or impulse response after the amp sim. Or even download some free ones, like GuitarHacks or God's cab and put them in an impulse loader as they often sound a lot better than stock ones provided by software companies.

It doesn't appear to be clipping on the input, according to the "clip" light on the m-audio. I do go through the cab sims in guitar rig 2.0. I think the problem i'm having has just as much to do w/ the latency, if not more, than the tone. when i listen back to the clip i posted, it doesn't sound as terrible as it does while i'm recording it. I think that's due to how absolutely disgusting it feels to play with latency...