so i just got my truss-rodless martin back from the shop, after they sanded down the bridge in hopes that it will lower the action. it did...slightly (250$ ). but in the higher registers of the guitar it's still pretty high - a lot higher than a few years ago.

I'm wondering what my options are at this point? I'm guessing the action has risen because I didn't use a humidifier over the years. If I start to use one now, will it help lower the action at all or will it just keep the action from rising higher? The guy said a neck reset would not be worth it...really hoping to get this guitar back in shape

thanks
Last edited by mack92 at Oct 7, 2013,
Buy a new nut. Or modify it. Sand down the bottom of it. Assuming you can get it off there.

I know, 'nut' and 'get it off'....get your head out of the gutter
You need a neck reset plain and simple. If you don't know what a neck reset is do a quick Google search.

Shaving the bridge is a cheaters way of trying to avoid a neck reset. Instead of shaving the bridge you could have put the money towards a neck reset (the proper repair). With a neck reset the guitar will play like it is brand new again with perfect action.

The nut is most definatley not the issue. Once a nut is cut and slotted correctly it does not need to be changed.

Action is primarily set by the bridge NOT by the nut of neck relief (truss rod).
Quote by kurtlives91
You need a neck reset plain and simple. If you don't know what a neck reset is do a quick Google search.

Shaving the bridge is a cheaters way of trying to avoid a neck reset. Instead of shaving the bridge you could have put the money towards a neck reset (the proper repair). With a neck reset the guitar will play like it is brand new again with perfect action.

The nut is most definatley not the issue. Once a nut is cut and slotted correctly it does not need to be changed.

Action is primarily set by the bridge NOT by the nut of neck relief (truss rod).

right..but he was pretty insistent on not doing the neck reset as he said the guitar would not sound the same. it's a 70's D-18..so I didn't want to risk anything.

how much do you think a neck reset would cost if I didn't have any other problems with the guitar?
Quote by mack92
right..but he was pretty insistent on not doing the neck reset as he said the guitar would not sound the same. it's a 70's D-18..so I didn't want to risk anything.

how much do you think a neck reset would cost if I didn't have any other problems with the guitar?

That's all well; and good. But if the neck has risen and/or the sound board has caved in a bit, it throws the string/ bridge/saddle relationship completely out of whack.

At a certain point, shaving the saddle down, will result in the bridge needing to be notched to clear the strings. But wait, there's more. The triangle formed by the neck, strings, and saddle becomes do acute, that the strings will simply slide across the top of the saddle. No sustain, and a bunch of buzz, is the net result.

When you come right down to it, it doesn't matter who made the guitar, what year it is, or who owned it before you, if it's no longer playable in a satisfactory manner, it either needs repair, hung on the wall, or thrown away.

In the case of this elder Martin, you can always buy a flat top to bang on, and drag the Martin out to impress company.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 8, 2013,
it does sound like a neck reset is in order. as to how much? hard to say if they socked you that much just to shave the saddle. i'd find a different shop if i were you, they didn't mention a neck reset when you brought it in with the issues and just sanded down the saddle? i would think that even one of the worst shops would have brought that up.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by mack92

That's totally wrong

Find a new shop