Page 1 of 6
Thought i'd see if anyone had any opinions here.

I'm in search of a new EDC (everyday carry) fixed blade. 3-4", fixed blade, kydex sheath

my big thing I want for this is i want something that i can carry HORRIZONTALLY on the belt. If you want to see the style i'm after, check this out http://www.coyeknives.com/Coye-Ridgeback-s/1818.htm

i'd order one but these are custom built and the book closes very quickly and these are $300+ i believe.

anybody have any suggestions? I'm fine paracording the sheath so that I can make it a horizontal carry but one with belt loops or quick clips is preferable.
I use a Tops as a kit knife and my hiking knife. It's this:

My God, it's full of stars!
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Do you realize how weird it is that you identify as a "knife guy?"

Nah, it's a great pick up line. You just gotta find those 'knife girls'
i dont identifiy as i knife guy, i collect knives like i do guitars. use them everyday. knives are tools and something i carry and use on a daily basis
TS you probably could have just posted directly in the Cringe Thread
Listen. I'm sorry.
This is what I carry
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I carry a CKRT knife. I prefer a tanto blade but, this one is fine. Problem is, for your situation, it wouldn't work out too well horizontally. It has a lock on it to keep it open but not closed.

Why do you prefer horizontal?

Edit: Assuming we're talking about folding knives....

Quote by chev311e
Nah, it's a great pick up line. You just gotta find those 'knife girls'

Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Oct 7, 2013,
You're probably better off with a folder, if you can legally carry one. You're going to have a tough time getting a 3"+ blade to fit comfortably on your belt horizontally. But if you can't carry a folder, then the Esee Izula seems like a good choice...It's super thin, and their sheaths are small enough for you to rig up on your belt like you wanted. Not sure that it wouldn't look completely obvious, but it's an option.

EDIT - Oh, you could also look at the Benchmade Adamas. I carry the folding version about 90% of the time, and it is, hands down, my favorite knife. Both folding and fixed versions are tanks. Probably a bit long, but it's also a pretty thin knife, which seems like the biggest concern when carrying it horizontally. I really can't see carrying either knife horizontally for long, but if I were going to try, I'd try with something thin.

EDIT 2 - Dread, that Tops is making me weak in the knees.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Oct 7, 2013,

This is my blade. Easy concealment and easy to flip open.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
SpanishYanez

Dude where the hell have you been?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Oct 7, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890

EDIT 2 - Dread, that Tops is making me weak in the knees.

Right? I love it

I also wear a dive knife around my calf when working sometimes, easy to get to and was inspired by Band of Brothers (ie. WW2 paratroopers) when they wear calf knives on jumps
Quote by Jackal58
Dude where the hell have you been?

I've been at work, then got a girlfriend, then was seeing a stripper, and then a lot of drama with that shit and just basically been drinking and f*cking around. Decided to come on here after I sorta calmed down from all of that.
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by Shaco
Here, we have potential suspects in which may cause harm to another human being in a vicious and savage manner.

You should spend less time being an idiot and more time brushing up on your command of English
I use a Bear Grylls knife made by Gerber. It is quite nice.
i swap between a kershaw clash and leek for my regular carry. I had a crkt spew for a little while but didnt really care for the blade style on it. not overly durable for heavier tasks and handle was a bit small.

and i'd prefer the horizontal carry (for a fixed, not a folder) because you can't see it under a shirt and its actually really comfortable to wear during the day. btw, there are no carry laws by me so everything is legal and fair game (new hampshire)
Quote by Shaco
Here, we have potential suspects in which may cause harm to another human being in a vicious and savage manner.

And here we have an individual who doesn't realize the very true possibility of a vicious and savage crime being carried out by using everyday items that we encounter.

Quote by zackk
I use a Bear Grylls knife made by Gerber. It is quite nice.

Yeah, Gerber makes some nice knives. For a pretty good deal too.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Oct 7, 2013,
Quote by Dimarzio45
And here we have an individual who doesn't realize the very true possibility of a vicious and savage crime being carried out by using everyday items that we encounter.

hmmm..... I know exactly what you mean

I thought this was a joke thread, then i realised people were serious and from the USA...
What do you guys use your knives for? Genuine question. I've never had an experience where I've needed a knife in ordinary daily life.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I used to carry a butterfly knife but that was during a different time in my life where things weren't what I would want them to be.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
You live such a party lifestyle man. I envy that shit.

You'd be surprised what a good 1,500 USD and the willpower to go out and do something social can do. I f*cking loved it and was making sure that the past months was like a Jay Z music video.

Quote by jambi_mantra
What do you guys use your knives for? Genuine question. I've never had an experience where I've needed a knife in ordinary daily life.

Since I have the butterfly knife, I tend to keep mines not shown as much. Usually I just keep it since the area I hang out in is not really a safe place.

...plus I'm Mexican so I cut chu foo!
Quote by jambi_mantra

my dad used to say the same thing. I gave him one of mine to carry for a day and it completely opened his eyes. you'd be surprised by the amount of times you'd use it throughout the day. Opening boxes, cutting rope, string, tape, pulling a splinter out of my finger, even right down to a bottle opener or punching a hole in a can top.

biggest thing to remember is that a knife is a tool and should be treated as such. so many people bitch about it being a dangerous weapon and whatnot but it is what you make it and what you use it for.

also, i dont carry it for protection. thats asking for trouble. go take a karate class for that.
Quote by Dreadnought
Right? I love it

I also wear a dive knife around my calf when working sometimes, easy to get to and was inspired by Band of Brothers (ie. WW2 paratroopers) when they wear calf knives on jumps

I was similarly inspired by Mythbusters to get a window-breaker for when your car goes underwater. I have not bought the window breaker as of yet, though.

Quote by jambi_mantra

For when things need cutting ... Really, boxes/packages, strings, threads, whatever. It's just convenient to have something that can cut things on-hand. Most of us could get by with a small keychain knife, but... where's the fun in that?
Quote by andrerist
my dad used to say the same thing. I gave him one of mine to carry for a day and it completely opened his eyes. you'd be surprised by the amount of times you'd use it throughout the day. Opening boxes, cutting rope, string, tape, pulling a splinter out of my finger, even right down to a bottle opener or punching a hole in a can top.

biggest thing to remember is that a knife is a tool and should be treated as such. so many people bitch about it being a dangerous weapon and whatnot but it is what you make it and what you use it for.

also, i dont carry it for protection. thats asking for trouble. go take a karate class for that.

This. All of it. For the longest time, my dad kept taking my knives and multitools whenever he needed something, so I just gave him a Case knife and revolutionized his way of life lol
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Oct 8, 2013,
I was similarly inspired by Mythbusters to get a window-breaker for when your car goes underwater. I have not bought the window breaker as of yet, though.

kershaw blur has a carbide glass breaking tip on the butt of the knife. its an assisted open blade and a good size knife for EDC
I was actually really interested in getting one, but I keep hesitating to spend $60 on something that's just going to sit in the Jeep. Plus, I've got other things in there that will break glass.
This thread reminded me that I need to buy a knife. So I did. Thanks guys!
Quote by jambi_mantra

I use mine at work all the time to open stuff.
Quote by Skynyrd890

kershaw blur has a carbide glass breaking tip on the butt of the knife. its an assisted open blade and a good size knife for EDC

I got a knife a few weeks ago that has a window-breaker on it, I want to try it.
Last edited by Thrill-house at Oct 8, 2013,
You carry them daily? Like on a Sunday? To Church and stuff?

Would you carry one when at the cinema? Or at the supermarket?

I've never thought 'hmm I need a knife here' except when eating.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 8, 2013,
Quote by andrerist

yeah, you don't need to stab someone to protect yourself you just need to get away or incapacitate whatever is douching around