Just wondered if anyone knows whether the Tweaker 40 (head) is self biasing?

I'm going to replace the stock tubes this side of Christmas to lift the sound a bit (any suggestions on what would be good replacements is appreciated - I'm in Australia if it helps) and would like the process to be as (relatively) painless as possible.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Thanks - sorry, Google's playing up (along with a couple of other ordinarily accessible sites) from this (work) computer.
No problem, I was curious too. For 6L6s I really like JJs, they are a bit on the dark side and often make an amp sound a little throatier and bigger than it might otherwise be. Tung-Sol are good too, very sweet treble and a very crisp clean sound.
Cool. I'll bear that in mind.
It can sound a little harsh as is.

Google's still bugging out...
power tubes should not be your focus, change the preamp tubes, and those dont need a bias.

i went with a tung sol v1, jj v2, and a jan phillips 12at7 in v3 and i am liking that a lot. no fizz, more clarity.

after that, i was quite happy with the stock power tubes. when i researched those, they had decent reviews as solid general porpose 6L6s, so i bought the same brand and model in a matched pair from dougs tubes online, which generally means you dont have to rebias again

do you find that any kind of gain is a bit...messy? or fizzy? muffy? the stock sovtek tubes are terrible. terrible. if i ever see those in any amp i own i am immediately ripping them out before i turn the thing on.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Oct 8, 2013,
Quote by ikey_
power tubes should not be your focus, change the preamp tubes, and those dont need a bias.

i went with a tung sol v1, jj v2, and a jan phillips 12at7 in v3 and i am liking that a lot. no fizz, more clarity.

after that, i was quite happy with the stock power tubes. when i researched those, they had decent reviews as solid general porpose 6L6s, so i bought the same brand and model in a matched pair from dougs tubes online, which generally means you dont have to rebias again

do you find that any kind of gain is a bit...messy? or fizzy? muffy? the stock sovtek tubes are terrible. terrible. if i ever see those in any amp i own i am immediately ripping them out before i turn the thing on.
Incorrect.

There is as much variation in tubes of the same model and manufacturer as there is between different brands. And a set of tubes change their bias needs with use. The bias can drift enough to be noticeable in as little as 6 months.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb