For a while now I´ve been thinking of upgrading my Blackstar ht-100 with 412 to an Orange. I´m really happy with the Ht-100 and its versatility but I´ve always really wanted an orange, and after watching a live consert on you-tube with Blackberry Smoke I´m pretty much sold. My band plays classic rock (guns, lynyrd, AC DC, ZZ-top) but even 90´s punk (greenday, Blink, sum 41) and with the Blackstars 3 channels it helps add diversity to the set. I have lately though been finding my self dialing in a classic tone on the OD1 channel and just rolling on the guitars volume for that little extra umph needed when going to the harder stuff.

...so here´s my question....I´m looking at getting an orange 30 or 50 with an orange 212, will the 30 give me enough head room for a clean sound and or dial in that classic tone and still hear myself onstage or do i need to get a 50 and if so should I be looking towards the rockerverb series or the th.

....testing the amp is not going to be an option where I live unfortunatelly, and since I´m not in any rush, buget is not an issue. I´m old enough too know that waiting another year to save will be worth the wait

here´s the gear I use:

*gibson LP 2005 standard with burstbucker pro´s
*gibson SG Angus Young Sig. 2000
*Dunlop cry baby
*Dunlop rotovibe
*Boss DD5 delay
*Blackstar boost

thanks for all and any help ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
I would definitely get the 50 out of the two. Personally I'd rather get a 100 is clean headroom is an issue at all.

The Rockerverb is more classic than the Thunderverb. The Rockerverb 100 Mk. II in particular is a sweet, sweet pile of amp. Expensive, but totally worth it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd agree with Offworld92; the 50 watt version would be better of the two, but a 100 watt would be best if you're after headroom.

As for models; I've owned a Rockerverb Mk2, Thunderverb and TH100. The Rockerverb's clean channel is 'sterile' - it has no life. The dirty channel is good though, suited to classic rock and Brit rock.

The Thunderverb is the similar on the clean channel. The dirty channel can be pushed further, for more punk and high gain tones. It's not bad, and can be dialed in quite easily.

The TH100 is simple; 3 controls per channel! The clean channel is the old AD30 (one of Orange's earliest amps) and has a master volume control - the higher you push it, the most break up you get. But it's LOUD! It does have the option of choosing 35, 50, 75 or 100 watts (selection switches on the back, and half / full power on the front).
The dirty channel is the same as the Thunderverb 100; a real monster!

All in though - so long as you have the money (£1600)- go for the OR100. The clean channel is based on the AD30 and sounds beautiful. The dirty channel is voiced differently to the TH100; it's more open and sounds less compressed to me, but still with the weight of sound you expect of Orange. Look for "fluff191" on YouTube - he's done a great demo of the OR100.

Hope that helps mate.
thats rediculous. in the current age of 2013, i have yet to see ANY player, even professional, require 100 watts unless it was pure preference, a vintage amp model, or tehy need high power for crazy gain, or just one of those swiss army knife amps that do everything.....4 channels ,etc.

i say go 30. first off, those class A oranges (isnt that model a class A?) are LOUD. almost everybody says so, even reviews say the clean channel is CRAZY LOUD. second, do you mic up the amp when you play live? if you dont, thats a red flag, and your band needs to step it up big time....cause you probably dont sound good.

30 watts would facilitate the sound you want by folling back the volume knob. it should be easier to get a little grit in there, but still keep volume and headroom controllable in the overall mix via the PA. and in a practice situation, i dont think anybody would disagree the orange 30 watts are loud enough for almost any band.

as you can tell, i am very opposed to the wattage game and people saying, "oh your in a band? you need 100 watts to play clean."

/ end of rant. probably went off a bit there.....but really i think 30 watts is ideal.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
thats rediculous. in the current age of 2013, i have yet to see ANY player, even professional, require 100 watts unless it was pure preference, a vintage amp model, or tehy need high power for crazy gain, or just one of those swiss army knife amps that do everything.....4 channels ,etc.

i say go 30. first off, those class A oranges (isnt that model a class A?) are LOUD. almost everybody says so, even reviews say the clean channel is CRAZY LOUD. second, do you mic up the amp when you play live? if you dont, thats a red flag, and your band needs to step it up big time....cause you probably dont sound good.

30 watts would facilitate the sound you want by folling back the volume knob. it should be easier to get a little grit in there, but still keep volume and headroom controllable in the overall mix via the PA. and in a practice situation, i dont think anybody would disagree the orange 30 watts are loud enough for almost any band.

as you can tell, i am very opposed to the wattage game and people saying, "oh your in a band? you need 100 watts to play clean."

/ end of rant. probably went off a bit there.....but really i think 30 watts is ideal.

Some amps are not available in low wattages at all.
I have a 20 watt head I will gig with and it is loud, but a lot of it is how the amp is designed not the output power.
But I'll take a 100 watt 1/2 stack 99% of the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As you say ikey_, it is preference. You're not wrong; most of the time you won't need 100 watts cranked all the way up. However, these Oranges have variable power stages, so you can choose 35, 50, 75 or 100, depending on the tone, compression and saturation you want.

In all, it depends on the size of venue you're playing Blackst4r, and whether or not you'll be mic'd. Arguably, 50 Watts will be powerful enough 99% of the time, however try the 100 Watts (and the 30s and others) as they all have different tonal characteristics, even in the same head.
Quote by ikey_

First off, I will admit that I would never run a 100W amp, but then again, I like my clean sound "coloured" by the power amp.

But if you want a proper colourless tone 100W becomes very useful (both cleans and high gain metal where you don't want to hear power amp distortion).

That aside, if he wants clean headroom, the 30W Orange is NOT the way to go. At all.

The 30W Oranges have an EL84 power amp, the 50Ws have EL34s or 6L6s. The EL84 breaks up on a much lower voltage swing on the input. That means, all else being equal - like wattage, signal from the preamp etc., the EL84 will break up way before the 6L6 or EL34. With the hot bias Orange put on them as well, the 30W will probably break up at bedroom volumes. They certainly carry power tube distortion just noodling in the shop.

If he wants access to good cleans at gig levels then he ideally needs to steer clear of EL84s.

And for the record, I think people who say "there is no reason to get higher wattage you can just mic everything" just as bigoted as the ones who say"oh your in a band? you need 100 watts to play clean."
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
...wow..thanks for the advice guys...

try to get some more info in here...
*yes we do mic but that goes out to the PA, tends to get mucky in the monitors when everybodies in there so we just keep it simple with vocals
*we play smaller venues 100-200/ppl and private parties and weddings, the blackstar can get really low when it comes to volume and still keep a tone but yes a 412 and 100w head is over kill and takes up way too much space in the truck. We normally put the drummer in his see through plexi cage at smaller venues and in our rehearsal studio cause yes.....volume wars tend to make a band sound like crap but we´re a Little old school and have voted against putting everything through the monitors or going in ear....it´s nice to have that "live-rock and roll" feeling

GABarrie: good to know about those tubes....that´s what I was looking for....I really don´t want to have undesired break up to early...and I love the fact that the tubes on the 50 mkII are interchangeable ;-)

as said really wish I could try them but it´s not an option round here unfortunatelly ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
gunna give myself a Little bump here and see if we have anymore orange lovers around..
FWIW I have the TH30 and it is very loud. Granted I am not gigging but I would think that it could suffice. The clean channel is definitely louder than the dirty, as you crank the volume on the clean there is a really nice break up. I love the amp, the only gripe is the drastic difference between the clean and the dirty, but once you get the hang of it, it is fairly easy to control. The dirty channel has 4 gain stages, I would say that if you are looking to play mostly classic rock then I would lean more towards the Rocker. The TH is great but there is a lot of gain on tap, granted though I can dial in a classic rock tone.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I've been gigging a TH30 for a while now and I've never had the problem of not being loud enough. I rarely mic it up and I play through a 212 for most concerts.

It's versatile once you know how to work it. In my best case scenario, I'd have 2 of them, one on 30W clean and one on 15W/7W completely open on the clean channel, but using the dirty channel with the volume on 10 and the gain to taste yields good results as well. Takes pedals really well, also.

That said, if you have the budget, I'd probably get a Rockerverb or OR series amp for your use.
If you like Orange sounds and have the cash definitely go for a Rockerverb 50. 50w is loud as **** and unless you play country with a drummer who beats the shit out of the heads, it has plenty of head room. Unless you want an amp for it's clean sound there really isn't a reason to go over 50w...hell, even 30 imo.

That said, I'm getting a TH30 as soon as I get my bonus check lol. It's very close to the Rockerverb but a little less dial-able and has no reverb. I'll put a reverb on the loop and save $1,500. It has the sound I want, but still if I could afford it I'd get the Rockerverb for sure. It's heavier than a RV and can't get the same cleans, but it can do what I want it to. The RV is a little more vintage sounding than a TH, but they have almost identical gain stages.
TBH dude looking at those bands, it screams marshall to me.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.