Just got a new guitar, and in the bridge is an EMG 81-7. This pickup is humming rather loudly, and when I touch the casing of the pickup the humming becomes VERY loud. The neck pickup is fine (EMG 707), so I have no idea what could be causing this Any help would be much appreciated.
Hey man, was the guitar brand new out of the box? If it happened to be second hand then it's worth asking the previous owner about it. From what I can tell and the previous experiences I've had with EMG's (Which I love), I reckon you probably have a loose connection, most likely at the connection point on the pickup. If it's a newer guitar then the EMG's will be solder-less, so just push all the connections tight in place. Make sure you check all of them, because a loose point anywhere could be doing it. Make sure the switch is all soldered up properly too. It's also possible that the grounding on your lead is a bit out. If all this fails, then I think you need to either contact the place you bought it from and let them know it's stuffed or even flick the boys over at EMG an email. Hope this helps.
First thing to always do (and do it regularly!) is to get some switch cleaner, and spray a little bit at a time around the electronics (preferably inside by the removable back panels, etc). Usually helps clean it up a bit. If it persists, it may be see above. Dust can cause real problems.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, the guitar is just out the box this morning. I'm willing to put up with it for now, and I'll have a look at it when I have some free time.
Mate, I wouldn't leave it too long, because if the pickup is faulty then the shop will do what it can to screw you out of a repair. Good luck to you though, update the thread when you can and let us know how it all goes for you.
Try a new battery if you haven't already and make sure the battery is shielded. Second to that try a different plug socket. If these two solutions don't work I would get a replacement because it possibly has a grounding issue in the wiring or even the pickup itself.
Quote by kingking22
Try a new battery if you haven't already and make sure the battery is shielded. Second to that try a different plug socket. If these two solutions don't work I would get a replacement because it possibly has a grounding issue in the wiring or even the pickup itself.

I tried a new battery, to no avail
I moved it to my living room. The hum definitely subsided a fair amount, but the buzz still happens if my finger touches the pickup, even just a little bit.
Where did you buy the guitar from Ian? That definitely shouldn't happen out of the box.

(On a side note, I thought I recognised your name. I actually know Johnny, Kyle and Zak. This is so weird)
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Where did you buy the guitar from Ian? That definitely shouldn't happen out of the box.

(On a side note, I thought I recognised your name. I actually know Johnny, Kyle and Zak. This is so weird)

Haha, I noticed your name from XBL. Nathan? But anyway, I got the guitar from GAK, in Brighton (Not as if I could return it myself as i is a 7 hour drive away), but I phoned the guys and they said they will phone back and probably come and collect it, then send out a new one. Hopefully they send one back that doesn't have this problem.
Last edited by IanSammiches at Oct 8, 2013,
Quote by IanSammiches
Haha, I noticed your name from XBL. Nathan? But anyway, I got the guitar from GAK, in Brighton, but I phoned the guys and they said they will phone back and probably come and collect it, then send out a new one. Hopefully they send one back that doesn't have this problem.

Haha yeah, wasn't sure if you'd remember me. GAK are a good shop from my experience. If they don't call back, just call them again and I'm sure they should sort the problem.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Haha yeah, wasn't sure if you'd remember me. GAK are a good shop from my experience. If they don't call back, just call them again and I'm sure they should sort the problem.

I've been told they will phone tomorrow. And now, we wait.
Quote by IanSammiches
I've been told they will phone tomorrow. And now, we wait.

They should do. Did you get student discount through them? I got my EVH amp from them through emailing the student discount department and I got £50 off. Service was good through that when phoning me and stuff.
Quote by Lavatain
They should do. Did you get student discount through them? I got my EVH amp from them through emailing the student discount department and I got £50 off. Service was good through that when phoning me and stuff.

No, I didn't get a student discount I'll look into that, thanks!
Quote by IanSammiches
No, I didn't get a student discount I'll look into that, thanks!

You just find an email on their homepage (I can't find it now) and talk to them through that. Just mention it when they phone you tomorrow as it might be they don't do it any more, or that it's too late for you now.

Hey guys! GAK phoned back with some great news! They will send me up a brand new guitar, and collect my current one at the same time. This will happen on friday! Great service from these dudes.