Hello,

I was wondering what kind of exercises everyone uses here, and with what goal.

The last 5 years I've mostly just played songs but I can tell it has started to limit me in my speed and accuracy, so I've started to use some exercises. My main exercise would be the fast 1 string tremolo picking thing in deep purple's "highway star". I can really feel it in my hands after a while.

What are your favorite exercises, and how long do you usually do them until switching to playing songs?

(Also, I got some exercises recommended by Joe Stump about 5 years ago, he mailed them to me personally but I lost them--does anyone perhaps have a link to his commonly prescribed exercises? I remember it was a neo-classical 3 note per string run thingy, haha.)
There was a time that I did exercises for about half of my practice time. And I definitely improved, but I only improved at those exercises. Now, I usually only do exercises for a few minutes as a warm up. Then I move on to learning songs and playing some that I already know. But most of my time is spent either training my ears or writing my own music.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I typically use parts of songs as exercises, cause it benefits me more.

It benefits me in the way that:
1) I have to learn it by ear, so i improve my ear in the process.
2) I learn something i can actually use in my own playing and not just something exercise sounding. Practice musically.
3) My technique improves.

A for how long i do them depends. Back in the day i was a strong advocate of interval practice, like "play this section for 10 minutes straight". Nowadays i often practice much like i would at the gym, doing like 40 perfect repetitions of the lick at a comfortable tempo, then a little 1-2 min break, then 40 more reps. I feel that it works better for me that way.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by dennahs
The last 5 years I've mostly just played songs but I can tell it has started to limit me in my speed and accuracy, so I've started to use some exercises.

What has limited you is not the lack of exercises but the lack of good practice. Exercises aren't some kind of silver bullet that are going to make you better just because you repeat them enough times.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.