Hi all, after 8 years with my PRS custom 22 wide fat neck I'm looking for something new. I was just looking for something with a thinner neck, 24 frets and a Floyd Rose. Well I think Ibanez has wonderful necks, they are too thin for me. I tried Schecter's, played Gibson's in the past, but not the new PRS S2 series. Only hold back with the ESP are the active pickups. I haven't played actives in almost 20 years so what is the battery life like these days? I did try the EC – 1000 and thought the neck felt good but it was a satin finish so that kind of threw me. GC Has a very gracious return policy but they don't carry this guitar in stock normally. I have not made up my mind and would like some other suggestions.

(edited typo)
Last edited by Xombie2000 at Oct 8, 2013,
There are Jacksons/Charvels too you could consider. You haven't listed a budget but the old Pro series MIJ Jacksons are pretty decent and can be found at good prices too.

I remember reading somewhere a year or so ago that EMG claims its actives will work 3000 hours. That depends on what quality 9V battery you put in though, and remembering to unplug the cable from your guitar after play time.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I should mention I prefer carved tops the only bolt on necks I've liked are Ibanez because the bolts are counter sunk and the heel access.
I don't know US prices, but you could probably find a used ESP for that money. You wouldn't need to compromise to LTD. Schecter's Blackjack SLS series too (I think that's their top notch one, other than custom shop). You can find ESPs with non-active pickups if you prefer passives, it's not uncommon.

For that money, you should be trying out all the carved top set-neck/neck-through guitars you can find. You said you tried a few, but try loads, find what really tickles your fancy.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Xombie2000 at Oct 8, 2013,