Hello everyone, I'm having a problem trying to tune my guitar after changing strings. The problem is my tuner says the strings are too loose when they are actually really tight. For instance, my low E says it is tuned C but it is too tight. when I try to tighten it to E it feels like it's ready to break. The A string says its at Eb, but its too tight to try to get it to A, and tuning down to A makes it too loose.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? Also, it's not the tuner, it shows the right notes on my other guitar.
You're probably tuned beyond the correct octave. If the low E says it's tuned to C, detune until you reach E on the next octave lower. What guage strings are you using? If you changed to thicker strings, tuning to E standard is going to feel way tighter than you're used to.
I changed from factory strings so I'm not sure what the gauge on the guitar was but the ones I put on are 10, 14, 18, 32, 44, 56. I managed to get fairly close to tune but the bridge comes too high over the body and I tightened the screws in the back of the guitar for the bridge and they are as far as they will go and the bridge is still too high when I get it close to tuned.
You're probably tuned too high. It's not unusual for someone new to Floyds to tune an entire octave over what you're supposed to be tuned. That brings the whole back end of the bridge up in the air. We just had a user on MLP do exactly the same thing.
I'm not sure, tuning down an octave had the strings just flopping around. You think I might need a fourth spring because of the gauge of the lower strings? Most strings I've seen with 10's only go to like 42 or 46. My other guitar has 56 for low E but the high is 12. I've heard that you need to add another spring when you have 12's. Maybe the thicker lower strings call for another spring.
Definitely add another spring if you can't tighten the screws anymore. Back the screws out a bit and add a spring and see how that goes. Add as many as you need to get the trem level to the body when it's in tune, or close to it at least.
Definitely 44, 56 for the bass strings is going to need a lot of spring tension. You'll probably need more springs. If you're going to use the whammy bar then just stick to 9s-42/40s otherwise it won't stay in tune as well.
Last edited by kingking22 at Oct 9, 2013,
Quote by kingking22
Definitely 44, 56 for the bass strings is going to need a lot of spring tension. You'll probably need more springs. If you're going to use the whammy bar then just stick to 9s-42/40s otherwise it won't stay in tune as well.

I added another spring today and everything is working fine. As for the whammy, I have the Alexi Laiho DR series strings, so they should stay in tune fairly well because he uses it like every other song.