So I've noticed with my Les Paul when I play it clean it is rather quiet. With distortion it sounds just fine (both through a pedal). On the flip side, when I play my ESP through the same pedal clean is much louder than the Les Paul. Clean on my ESP is also louder than it is with distortion. Any ideas? My Les Paul is running the standard "classic" pickups while my ESP has EMGs.
You answered your own question. EMGs have more output which will make that guitar louder and more distorted through the same amp settings.
Quote by KrogerChad
You answered your own question. EMGs have more output which will make that guitar louder and more distorted through the same amp settings.

Well yeah i know that. That is the whole point behind EMGs but the difference is particularly noticeable when playing clean. My Les Paul is hardly audible when clean but sounds fine when distorted. I notice it most when playing on the neck pickup.
Have you thought about raising the height of the pickup in question?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
that's probably it.

also, the neck pup of a LP is almost always a lower output than the bridge to begin with.
Quote by gregs1020
that's probably it.

also, the neck pup of a LP is almost always a lower output than the bridge to begin with.

I have thought about trying that... Only it sounds fine distorted. Maybe it is just my ears not hearing it as well clean compared to distorted. I have always noticed that the neck was a little less audible than the bridge so maybe it is just that.
with passives in a lp i set the bridge height to where it sounds best to me clean, then even out the volume between them by raising or lowering the neck pup until they are the same volume.

most times that puts the neck pup at about it's optimal height. then tweak them to taste if need be.

that's just how i set them up, i'm sure other people do it completely differently. it's worth a try.
Quote by gregs1020
with passives in a lp i set the bridge height to where it sounds best to me clean, then even out the volume between them by raising or lowering the neck pup until they are the same volume.

most times that puts the neck pup at about it's optimal height. then tweak them to taste if need be.

that's just how i set them up, i'm sure other people do it completely differently. it's worth a try.

Yeah. I might have to try that... Thanks!
Unless you play through a s/s amp like a JC120 there's bound to be a little natural breakup with the sound.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I recently got a Jackson with EMGs (81b and 85n) and I own a Les Paul (498t & 490r). The EMGs are noticeably louder especially comparing the two neck pick ups since the 85 is super hot and the 490r isn't so much. Also with the volume wide open the 85 clips (or distorts) slightly in the preamp of the pickup itself. I find myself using the volume control more often now with the EMGs especially for clean rhythm playing on the 85.

The difference between the 81 and the 498t isn't quite as dramatic though.