Poll: Should we be searching for aliens?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should we be searching for aliens?
Yes
49 46%
No
57 54%
Voters: 106.
Page 1 of 3
Do you think we should be spending billions of dollars a year with programs like SETI (and NASA), to search for alien life forms?

Why do you think the American government invests in programs like this? Do you think we need to be searching for aliens? Such a question is pertinent when that money could be used to invest in charities that supply food, water, shelter etc. to those in need. With that considered, is it still a good investment?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 9, 2013,
let them cum
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

We don't even need to search for them... I got a couple on speed dial
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by willT08
A quick google would tell you SETI gets no government funding

The question is not limited to SETI. Its relevant to programs like NASA in regards to space exploration.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The question is not limited to SETI. Its relevant to programs like NASA in regards to space exploration.

Oh. So you're basically asking "Should we be PAYING people to explore the universe and learn all we can about it?"

Then yes
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

why don't we just....

....make everything free

That'll fix the money and funding problem
ayy lmao
we've already found them, i promise that. we're simply just not allowed to know wtf is good, we're just "the people"
Quote by willT08
Oh. So you're basically asking "Should we be PAYING people to explore the universe and learn all we can about it?"

Then yes

Even if said program is exploring parts of space that pale in significance to the quality of human life, compared to other issues, such as famine in 3rd world countries?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Even if said program is exploring parts of space that pale in significance to the quality of human life, compared to other issues, such as famine in 3rd world countries?

Yessssss
Quote by willT08
Yessssss

Why?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why?

Cuzzzzz maaaaannnnnn
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Oct 9, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why?

Firstly because government spending on space programs is pathetic anyway. Taking the money out of it and using it to plant seeds in Africa really aint gonna do much.

Secondly because potential for knowledge and technological advances that come from having to deal with the challenges of exploring space, or what we actually find whilst we're out there
Where should the money go instead if not meaningless exploration of outer space? Improving the lives of people? Fighting world hunger? Come on man...who the f*ck cares about your neighbour when you can read about super novas, black holes and shit.

On a serious note though, I'm curious too about who gains what when it comes to space research.
Quote by willT08
Firstly because government spending on space programs is pathetic anyway. Taking the money out of it and using it to plant seeds in Africa really aint gonna do much.

Secondly because potential for knowledge and technological advances that come from having to deal with the challenges of exploring space, or what we actually find whilst we're out there

I've heard of that viewpoint before. It's not a bad justification at all, but it depends on what the technological advancements made actually are. Some advancements are more relevant to the wellbeing of people than others. Some advancements could be extremely useful, such as ones in nanotechnology for medical applications. While developments in a specific alloy to line the inside of a booster cone for example, may not be so helpful to our survival on Earth. I see where you're coming from, but perhaps exploring space may not be the most efficient way to innovate new methods of aid.
Quote by MetalMullet
On a serious note though, I'm curious too about who gains what when it comes to space research.

Me too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by dudester410
we've already found them, i promise that. we're simply just not allowed to know wtf is good, we're just "the people"

Keep your tinfoil hat ready, mate.
Quote by MetalMullet

the argument is that those technologies they develop and stuff find their way into consumer products

no idea if it's bs or not
Quote by MetalMullet
So in what way effects space travel improvements in nano technology?

???
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Mr E Meat
the argument is that those technologies they develop and stuff find their way into consumer products

no idea if it's bs or not

I could buy that theory, I just doubt that those investments would ever break even. Also, there are clearly enough technologies invented on Earth to make a shitload of money, why go to space?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
???

Yeah I don't get it. How do space research and nano technology correlate with each other?
Quote by MetalMullet
I could buy that theory, I just doubt that those investments would ever break even. Also, there are clearly enough technologies invented on Earth to make a shitload of money, why go to space?

Because Earth isn't going to last forever. Space exploration has huge significance as a long-term solution, amidst other research benefits.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Would it not be a lot easier to just monitor every stupid redneck and wait for them to inevitably get abducted? Just hire one person per redneck and at least there is a sane witness around when it happens to confirm that "yes, the aliens really did come and take this magnificent specimen of human life for testing".

I mean, judging by the people aliens always abduct, they themselves probably aren't smart enough to notice their 'target' is actually 'bait'.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Should it be funding targeted attempts to discover intelligent life? No.

Should it be funding probe missions to search for signs of life, extant or extinct, or signs of viable planets for life, within our solar system? Yes.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by MetalMullet
Yeah I don't get it. How do space research and nano technology correlate with each other?

Nanotechnology is used to create extremely strong materials on a microscopic scale. They could be developed to create robots that aid an astronaut to fight infection and recover from injuries. That same technology could potentially be applied to everyday medicine.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
NASA is great. Fantastic organization that's taught us a lot and brought a lot of philosophy to our culture.

That said, people are living on sidewalks and acquiring debts and healthcare issues at a rate and size that just simply didn't exist in the 60's. It's hard to compare that age of space exploration and this because things weren't near as bad back then. The money really should be focused on things such as fixing the national economy and healthcare and boring shit like that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
We can't just halt all other aspects of human progression because we still haven't solved a few of our problems. We might as well make strides in different areas while we decipher how to tackle some of the other issues here on earth.
Quote by VillainousLatin
We can't just halt all other aspects of human progression because we still haven't solved a few of our problems. We might as well make strides in different areas while we decipher how to tackle some of the other issues here on earth.

Yeah we can. We did.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER

NASA doesn't really cost that much in the scheme of things.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
build space probes not drones yall
Interesting chart. Begs the question why obama digs deep in his pockets for the military. I can understand spending a lot on cops though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So long as we have lots of Head & Shoulders the Earth is safe.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Nanotechnology is used to create extremely strong materials on a microscopic scale. They could be developed to create robots that aid an astronaut to fight infection and recover from injuries. That same technology could potentially be applied to everyday medicine.

Yeah, I'm aware of that...

But you stated earlier, "Some advancements could be extremely useful, such as ones in nanotechnology for medical applications."

So you I'm still asking the same question as before, how did space travel, space research or whatever you want to call it, help the improvement or the invention of nanotechnology? As far as I'm concerned, most of the things you can research, test and analyze on Earth. No need to launch a rocket up in space. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

If your argument is that space travel clearly pushed and even sponsored further researches within nano technology, well, that's pretty much irrelevant. In that case NASA is just the middle man, a black hole for money. (lolz, you get it?)
Sure, if we have the money to spare, we can invest it in space travel and exploration. To specifically search for aliens would be a futile attempt at this stage in our development though, and if anything, aliens will find us sooner than we will find them.

That said, holy moly NASA is cheap.
So long as we have lots of Head & Shoulders the Earth is safe.

I too am glad we've invested so much in absolutely nothing but hair and scalp research for all these years.
Quote by willT08

Then yes

this.
Page 1 of 3