Hey all,

In my ongoing saga of creating quite a personal guitar of my Hutchins Regal semi-hollowbody, i am considering getting new pickups in there sometime soon.
It currently has three, gretsch-style, mini humbuckers (they look like fake filtertrons!) made by 'entwhistle pickups.' The body is Basswood.
Overall they're pretty muddy really, and noisey. They are also noticeably lower-output than my other guitars.

I got all the wiring re-done about a year ago (including a nifty access panel in the back for future work to be done), so it's got alpha pots and all! Currently rolling with thr33 individual volumes, two tones, and a master bass-roll-off.
At the same time i got a nice bone-nut, and a Bigsby B-7 installed, so it's shaping up to be a really great guitar to play, it's just the pickups that bother me really (and maybe the tuners + bridge to finish it all off).

I want something with a nice a raw, earthy sort of tone, but still with ringing overtones so it has a good punch.
I tried out one of the new Fender Starcasters the other day, and those Widerange humbuckers just sounded amazing, inspiring my continued tone chasing from this hunk of wood!
Of course, may main limiting factor is the size; it's got to fit the size of a mini-humbucker/filtertron.

I play sort of bluesy stuff mainly, generally mildly driven, boosting it with OD's and Fuzzes. Also ambient sort of sounds, so it's got to sound great clean and have low noise!
My favourite guitarists + tones include Peter Green (will probably stick that middle pickup out of phase), Davi Gilmour, John Mayer, (later beatles) George Harrison, Jonny Greenwood, Dan Auerbach.
My other guitars are a Classic Player Jazzmaster, and an Epiphone Les Paul, with seymour Duncans (59 + JB, the standard!).

Budget-wise, i am not so keen in shelling out for real TV Jones Filtertrons, so give me all sort of price ranges below them!
I'm located in London, UK.

On another note if i choose not to replace the pickups just yet, my other main issue with the pickups are how they feel just a bit loosely fitted; they NEVER stay at the height i set them for long enough, and shake around a bit too much in the body, so i can get some noise from this whilst playing, which is a pain! What quick fixes can alleviate this? Maybe stronger springs on the fixing screws?

Yes, my threads are ALWAYS too long...

Seymour Duncans. Bit pricey though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They look niiice, what's the model? How do they compare with the 'real thing' as it were? (by that i mean TV Jones, no offense to SD, they are about a 'REAL DEAL' as it gets in the pickup world)

edit: OUCH, $200? i bet they sound mighty fine though...

Anyone had experience with the new fender Fidelitron? Anyone know where one might source those WITHOUT buying a cabronita telecaster?
Last edited by jaybals at Oct 9, 2013,
I said they were a bit pricey. That photo was the custom shop one. $225. They're SD filtertrons man. You know what SD's are like. They're what you'd expect from top end Seymour Duncans.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@fletchera
Looks like a cool site, but i'm sure i'd get screwed over with the delivery and taxes, lame.

@cathbard
I think the SD custom shop is a lil too much for my blood, one day perhaps! But i'd be spending more on pickups than the guitar is worth (bare in mind i have three pickups to replace).

Did a bit o' exploring the Seymour Duncan website, the SM-1 + SM-2 look pretty good! Pretty standard mini humbuckers i think, but they seem to sound cool from the videos i've seen. Bright, and supposed to work well for darker-sounding guitars (a la basswood)
Anyone had any joy with these?
Plus, it appears Robben Ford has the SM-2 in at least one of his guitars it seems (not that the pickups are where his tone ends...)

I've dropped an email to a UK-based pickup company called Creamery. From the demo i've seen of their Filtertron style pickups, they seem to be worth checking out! Sounded sweet. Unfortunately their filtertrons seem to be only in regular humbucker size, hence why i emailed the dude!

How much does the tone of a standard Mini humbucker differ from a filtertron?
Is it mainly in the output?

Keep some recommendations coming! Also open to P-90's. Not really sure what pickups i want, so long as they give me a good sound i'm happy!
On the short term though, what can i do to reduce the rattle of the pickups in their cavity?
I think the problem is only exacerbated by the metal pickup rings they sit in! Maybe wrapping insulation tape along the edges of the pickups?
Quote by jaybals
@fletchera
Looks like a cool site, but i'm sure i'd get screwed over with the delivery and taxes, lame.

I think it's free shipping. Definitely looks like it on most of the pickups on there anyway...
Looks like free shipping isn't over seas; $25 to the UK (that is if it all fits in one box).
Might still work out cheaper considering the money i'd save on the over-seas prices!

Seymour Duncans have really gone up in price, the JB + 59 cos me like £50 each 4 years ago, now they seem to go for £70 over here!
Hey guys, thought i'd give a bit of an update (not one to bump my own threads, but it's a waste to start a new one or ask elsewhere!)

I have fixed the 'wobbly pickup' issue. Just got a bunch of new springs, and wrapped some electrical tape around the edge of the pickups (so it sits between the casing and the mounting-ring)

I contacted the guys at 'The Creamery,' a UK-based pickup company; al handwound and the like. All this for about as much as Seymour Duncans go for in the UK! (the prices really have shot up!)
The demo of their Filtertron-style humbuckers sounded great, but as of yet, there is no 'true' filtertron (size-wise).

He however informed me that he is in the precess of getting the parts to start a range of filtertron style pickups, and they should be ready soon (he told me he may hold off until just after Christmas).
They also offer a range of more standard mini-humbuckers, and firebird-style humbuckers which a gauging my interest.

Now, i'm in no rush to get the new pickups, and can't exactly do a trial of various things, so i just don't know what i want! I've never tried decent 'tron-style pickups, and likewise mini 'buckers. What is best for my situation?
I definitely prefer a punchier, brighter tone, but maybe i should go the way of low output pickups (as with the 'trons) to give a bit of a change from my Jazzmaster (classic player, with hotter, JM style pickups) and Epi LP (SD 59+JB).