http://www.fender.com/series/champion/

I saw this the other day, and wondered how they compare to the [dreaded] Frontman series.

I quite liked the overall concept, with a clean Blackface-type channel and a 2nd channel with selectable voicing. If they sound good and take pedals well, it would make them pretty interesting.

Anyone had a chance to try one of these yet?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
No but they sound like the same idea behind orange's new crush amps. Take a great amp circuit (rockerverb for orange, blackface for fender) and make it affordable by replacing the tubes with opamps. I was so excited for the release of the new orange amps. After hearing how great they sound in demos I'm planning on buying the orange 212 combo. Clever circuit design is leading to really good sounding non-digital amps without using tubes. Ade Emsley (orange's amp designer, built the new crush series) actually said he was worried that the new crushes sounded too good.
Quote by tukk04
No but they sound like the same idea behind orange's new crush amps. Take a great amp circuit (rockerverb for orange, blackface for fender) and make it affordable by replacing the tubes with opamps. I was so excited for the release of the new orange amps. After hearing how great they sound in demos I'm planning on buying the orange 212 combo. Clever circuit design is leading to really good sounding non-digital amps without using tubes. Ade Emsley (orange's amp designer, built the new crush series) actually said he was worried that the new crushes sounded too good.

I assume you're talking about these?
They do sound good on videos, and from an engineering standpoint i really like the idea.

I think that the Fender Champion amps won't be as good, though, since the retail price seems lower than those Orange Crush amps.
For example, the Champion 100 is 279€, while the equivalent Crush CR120C is 579€.

So i don't think the new Champion series is made with the same idea in mind as the new Crush series.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by tukk04

Oh dear! Prepare for the Tube junkies to be on you for this one! Ya, I thought they sounded good as well, but in Canada, thought they were a bit pricey. For a couple hundred more I could get a Peavey Classic 30 1x12 combo brand new. Really like the Peavey and the Orange though.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Oh dear! Prepare for the Tube junkies to be on you for this one! Ya, I thought they sounded good as well, but in Canada, thought they were a bit pricey. For a couple hundred more I could get a Peavey Classic 30 1x12 combo brand new. Really like the Peavey and the Orange though.

Those new Orange Crush amps are pretty expensive. In those price ranges, you can get a full tube Ampeg or Traynor from Thomann, for example. Or a Jet City, if they still have any left in stock from their blowout in the end of 2012.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Those new Orange Crush amps are pretty expensive. In those price ranges, you can get a full tube Ampeg or Traynor from Thomann, for example. Or a Jet City, if they still have any left in stock from their blowout in the end of 2012.

That was my point, your not far off anew tube price. Traynor pisses me off. I live 3 hours away from the factory, yet they have the lowest bang for the buck.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
That was my point, your not far off anew tube price. Traynor pisses me off. I live 3 hours away from the factory, yet they have the lowest bang for the buck.

The trick with traynors is going used. you can get a YBA-1 Bassmaster, basically as bassman/plexi clone, for $300-$400 all day. They sell the reissues for twice that.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
"As good as an Orange Crush" is like saying "as good as a jab in the eye with a sharp stick."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
"As good as an Orange Crush" is like saying "as good as a jab in the eye with a sharp stick."

The new crush series (cr120h, cr120c, and cr60) are completely different amps than the previous pix crushes. They've been confirmed by Ade Emsley to be rockerverbs with opamps and a few other parts in place of tubes. Watch the andertons demo for a good idea of it's sound, not exactly the same tone as a rockerverb, but a good tone IMO regardless. It's not trying to be a tube amp, but a great solid state amp instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUyeh7UTc0

BTW nobody said they were/would be "as good as an orange crush" I implied that from fender's description it seemed that the design was along the same line of thought.
Last edited by tukk04 at Oct 10, 2013,
And "rockerverbs with opamps and a few other parts in place of tubes" is like saying "Ferrari with pistons from a Morris Minor."
It's an absurd claim.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tukk04

So, that's not really how that works.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Ippon
enough with the Crush talk.

Agreed, back to point: the new Fender Champions, anyone tried them yet?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Jhachey22
The trick with traynors is going used. you can get a YBA-1 Bassmaster, basically as bassman/plexi clone, for $300-$400 all day. They sell the reissues for twice that.

Problem is the used market sucks donkey dick around here. Unless you are willing to wait ages, you might as well go retail.

We should get back to the topic at hand though...
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Oct 11, 2013,
I'm thinking to sell my Marshall MG 100DFX and buy Fender Champion 100. is it worth it?
Quote by dhenia182
I'm thinking to sell my Marshall MG 100DFX and buy Fender Champion 100. is it worth it?

Sell your MG100DFX and get an amp that sounds something like a marshall if you ask me.
If you bought a marshall you're probably not really after the Campion's sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Has anyone tried these yet? I am looking to get back into playing and saw a demo of these things on YouTube and really swayed me from all other SS options in its price range.
I am looking at the 20W for quiet bedroom playing in town home. Play blues rock. Not into heavy distortion.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Played one last week at Walter's in Niagara Falls. It was alright. Much better then the old Frontman, but for the extra $100 Canadian i'd just get a Blues Jr new or even for the same price get a Pro Jr new.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
One of my friends has the champion 40 and I thought it sounded really nice for $180. I would recommend it for a beginner. Great for cleans to mildly gainy tones.
Awesome. Thanks. I like the idea. The Mustang was just too much. I would spend more time downloading tones/settings th an actually playing. I like this concept more.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups