My band sounds hollow. We all know our parts, really we'll these are songs we've been working on forever. And even though we technically sound good and everyone sounds great on their own we just sound. Flat. I don't know how else to describe it, just a real lack of life in the performance of the songs. When we do them acoustically they sound fine but when we play it electric everything sounds hollow and lifeless. I'm not sure how to remedy this. I just want a little more oomph in our performances but I'm not sure how to get it there because technically we sound great but we sound lifeless. Our vocalist is really good at putting emotion into it so I don't think it's that. but you know I just don't know how the heck to put more life into it. We have a gig coming up and we sound fine, good enough to play the gig, but without the energy and life of it I just don't know haha
Well we´ll do the obvious check list:

Question:
A. do you all enjoy what your playing or have you over done practice
B. are you having fun whilst your playing or are you all being too self conscience about how your playing
C. is your gear up to spec. or are you blasting the shit out of bad instruments through bad amps with old strings and skins
D. are you to loud, so that all you here is muck
E. are your guitarists going for overkill with their gain knobs

Answer:
a. practice makes perfect but try something else for a bit...sometimes even a gig will bring that spark back
b. smile....it will catch on, plus audiences like to se musicians enjoy themselves. Joke around a bit...I mean you guys obviously know the piece so have some fun...make faces at the drummer for the whole song and see what happens
c. sh*t stinks....and more sh*t stinks even more.... if your playing with and through crap it´ll sound even worse when turned up to stage volumes. Out of tune/dead drums will kill everything your trying to do
d. soundcheck.....ask someone with an ear to come listen.... volume wars make bands sound bad....
e. less gain = more ring to that axe your hammering away on

....unless your going with really expensive inear system monitoring your never going to get that out in the audience//thump in the chest//cd feeling but it is important to get a good onstage balance between instruments. My guess is that you guys are suffering from volume issues and need to work on that....amp positioning, rehearsal room sound isolation etc.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Be sure your tone is "your" tone, and it satisfies your needs.
Oh and try to feel the music... you know and enjoy what you are playing, try to feel the song you are playing!
Do you have a bassist?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ that's what I was wondering...
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My first comment was a joke but now that I read the OP, it really sounds that TS's band doesn't necessarily have a bassist.

So tell us a bit about your band. What genre do you play and what instruments do you have? Every genre needs a bassist - though acoustic songs work without bass guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
My first comment was a joke but now that I read the OP, it really sounds that TS's band doesn't necessarily have a bassist.

So tell us a bit about your band. What genre do you play and what instruments do you have? Every genre needs a bassist - though acoustic songs work without bass guitar.

odly enough after your first comment it got me thinking about that too.....I just took for granted it was a full on band set-up!! There´s nothing more dull and boring than band practice with out the basist...the bands unsung hero!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
It might help, too, to post a clip so we can actually hear you.

You know, if you want us to help diagnose an issue with how you sound.
Well I find a buncha studio versions of legendary songs to be pretty empty. Iron Maiden's Fear of The Dark and Aerosmith's Movin' Out for example, I can hear the silence. Granted, they didn't have great EQ then.

Maybe it's just time to get on the soundboard and mac to clean things up
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!