Hi,

I just bought an Orange Micro Terror to go with my EVH 5150 2x12 cab. I know this sort of question has been asked a thousand times, but nobody seems to really know the answer... Am I able to use the Orange (Min 4 Ohms) and the EVH (16 Ohms) together?

Thanks in advance!
Quote by AndrewW500
I know this sort of question has been asked a thousand times, but nobody seems to really know the answer

Wat

Plenty of people know the answer, it's probably one of the most common answers we give.

You've got a solid state power section, go nuts. With a tube amp you usually want to keep it to a 2:1 mismatch, but you don't need to worry about that.
Quote by Roc8995
Wat

Plenty of people know the answer, it's probably one of the most common answers we give.

You've got a solid state power section, go nuts. With a tube amp you usually want to keep it to a 2:1 mismatch, but you don't need to worry about that.

I did some 'googling' and just found a bunch of people arguing over whether it is safe or not. I didn't find any results on UG though. Probably should have checked first.

I had wondered if having solid state power would make a difference, so thanks for confirming that.

Just waiting on my speaker cable to arrive now...
There's often some arguing about how much you can mismatch a tube amp, for two reasons:
-Some amps are more sensitive than others, so you can run a 4:1 just fine on some, but others won't like a 1:2.
-Some people think playing for a year at 4:1 without blowing anything up means they aren't doing any harm.

With a SS amp, there's really no debate. They just don't care what kind of load they see, certainly within the limits of guitar cab impedances.
Quote by Roc8995
There's often some arguing about how much you can mismatch a tube amp, for two reasons:
-Some amps are more sensitive than others, so you can run a 4:1 just fine on some, but others won't like a 1:2.
-Some people think playing for a year at 4:1 without blowing anything up means they aren't doing any harm.

With a SS amp, there's really no debate. They just don't care what kind of load they see, certainly within the limits of guitar cab impedances.

So you are saying that it really doesn't matter in my case? (Not sure if you would class my amp as SS or Tube)

There is definitely a lot of videos of people on YouTube running the Micro Terror through 2x12's and 4x12's which I know have 16 ohm inputs, however some may also have 4 ohm inputs so it's hard to tell.
For our purposes your amp is solid state. The power amp is the only section relevant to impedance matching, so the fact that it has a preamp tube doesn't change the equation. You can plug it into whatever cab you like at 4+ ohms. It will be slightly louder through whatever "proper" impedance the manual says the output is, and progressively quieter as you get farther away from that match, but should still be plenty loud and it's perfectly safe.
Quote by Roc8995
For our purposes your amp is solid state. The power amp is the only section relevant to impedance matching, so the fact that it has a preamp tube doesn't change the equation. You can plug it into whatever cab you like.

Ok, nice. Thanks for your help!
As an aside, a 16 ohm 2x12 will be running two 8 ohm speakers in series. If you rewire them up in parallel the cab will be 4 ohm. Either way, no damage will be done but at 16 ohm you will be somewhere around 5 to 6 dB quieter at full volume.

Now if you intend to run both the Orange and EVH speakers together your impedance will be below 4 ohm so don't do it, even if you rewire the EVH cab. Use one or the other but not both.

Edit. Sorry, the micro terror only comes in a head doesn't it? Re-reading your post, you just bought the head didn't you? Ignore the second paragraph
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 9, 2013,
If an amp is solid state, can I feed a line input into the guitar input?