http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/justice/body-in-hospital-stairwell

When Lynne Spalding went missing from San Francisco General Hospital, her friends frantically searched and left messages on a Facebook page to keep each other hopeful.
On Tuesday, the messages on the "Find Lynne" Facebook page turned from hope to anger. A body was found in an exterior stairwell of the hospital, and a law enforcement source says it is believed to be Spalding.
How could this be? Spalding's friends had searched throughout San Francisco, in alleys and shelters, handing out hundreds of fliers. They wondered whether the woman, dazed by powerful medication, was wandering around somewhere.
"So we have a lot of questions as her family and friends," said David Perry, a Spalding family spokesman. "Did anyone see her leave the room? Did she leave alone? Is there videotape of Lynne leaving the hospital or wandering the halls?"
All who looked for Spalding, 57, who has two adult children, assumed the hospital had been searched thoroughly.
"Dumbfounded that they didn't find her for two weeks?! Where the hell were they looking?!" Liz Kennedy wrote on the "Find Lynne" website.
"I honestly believe there should be an investigation into how the hospital areas were not thoroughly checked by the staff," another poster named Sunil Raj wrote.
Hospital officials and police say they are investigating. The hospital says it has no idea how the body ended up in the rarely-used staircase.
"We're distressed," Rachael Kagan, a spokeswoman for San Francisco General Hospital, told CNN affiliate KTVU. "We don't know what happened. That's our top priority, is to find that out."
Spalding was last seen in the morning of September 21. Nurses were checking on her every 15 minutes, but at 10:30 a.m., she was gone.
Thirty minutes later, two of her friends and her boyfriend arrived at the hospital to visit, Perry said. They were told that Spalding had been missing for 30 minutes, Perry said.
"Someone has died in a mysterious fashion at San Francisco General Hospital, an institution which is known for healing," Perry said. "And tonight I'm sure the staff of SF General is horrified and confused, certainly the family is horrified and confused."

Kind of lulz.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

it's really not though :/

EDIT: How the hell did she actually die?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 9, 2013,
Oh gosh, death is terrible always, I know I know... the context of this is silly though, in a morbid way. How the hell does a hospital patient die in a staircase after only being gone fore half an hour? Especially when the hospital case is not even remotely fatal?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Weaponized
By being murdered or falling down the stairs?

Can't find any sources of possible death, nor any details on the state of her body when she was found (wounds, bruises, etc)
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I worked security at a hospital for all of 2 weeks and first thing they tell you is check the stairs routinely, especially if someone is missing.
Quote by Masquirina
They should use cameras someday.

This, too. The whole thing is pretty flabbergasting.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

A better question is why didn't the friends search the hospital high and low first? The hospital staff did what they could in the sense of checking on patients every 15min, cause they don't have enough people to sit around and babysit.

Dumb friends if you ask me.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by DamienEx1021
A better question is why didn't the friends search the hospital high and low first? The hospital staff did what they could in the sense of checking on patients every 15min, cause they don't have enough people to sit around and babysit.

People don't really have access to much of a hospital.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by DamienEx1021

When the hospital told them that the patient was missing, I think it was pretty safe for them to assume that the patient was not in the hospital. 'Missing' would generally imply that the person was not to be found on the premises... A search seems like it would be standard for a hospital before they deem someone as 'missing'.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

If your loved one went missing would you give two craps? I would have ripped that place apart until the police arrived to arrest me. That or I would have MADE someone check every nook and cranny. I would NOT have started a facebook page or looked around the city first.

Containment. One person at each exit, others to search the inside. Systematic instead of chaos. Would have been done in hours, not two weeks.

Quote by vintage x metal
When the hospital told them that the patient was missing, I think it was pretty safe for them to assume that the patient was not in the hospital. 'Missing' would generally imply that the person was not to be found on the premises... A search seems like it would be standard for a hospital before they deem someone as 'missing'.

Missing means that something is not where it is suppose to be. If the person could not be found on the premiss you say "the person is no long on the premisses." Assuming anything else than what is said is your own fault, and if you aren't smart enough to clarify then you need to learn semantics. Once you start assuming things in a situation like this, then shit happens like someone gets lost for two weeks in a stairwell because no one systematically checked the building.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Last edited by DamienEx1021 at Oct 9, 2013,
how big is this hospital? because if it's 100,000 square feet, it could be difficult to search without a lot of people
She slipped on a banana peel.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by vintage x metal
Oh gosh, death is terrible always, I know I know... the context of this is silly though, in a morbid way. How the hell does a hospital patient die in a staircase after only being gone fore half an hour? Especially when the hospital case is not even remotely fatal?

I think she was gone for two weeks, if I'm reading correctly. The 30 minutes bit was just when her boyfriend showed up.

Still ridiculous that a person could be missing that long and be in the stairwell though.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by DamienEx1021

Missing means that something is not where it is suppose to be. If the person could not be found on the premiss you say "the person is no long on the premisses." Assuming anything else than what is said is your own fault, and if you aren't smart enough to clarify then you need to learn semantics. Once you start assuming things in a situation like this, then shit happens like someone gets lost for two weeks in a stairwell because no one systematically checked the building.

I'm not saying that the friends should have avoided checking the hospital But it's definitely not their fault that she died considering the circumstances.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Hey, if you can't laugh at someone dying, what can you laugh at?

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
Hey, if you can't laugh at someone dying, what can you laugh at?

Someone about to die.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Thrashtastic15
HAHA SOMEBODY DIED BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE INCOMPETENT SO FUNNY

The level of incompetency is comical in the 'Are you ****ing kidding me?!' spectrum
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by DamienEx1021
The hospital staff did what they could in the sense of checking on patients every 15min, cause they don't have enough people to sit around and babysit.

So it's not the job of the staff to monitor patients who are heavily medicated?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Nelshizzle
Someone about to die.

Two shea
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by AeroRocker
So it's not the job of the staff to monitor patients who are heavily medicated?

Not to watch them every waking second. A 15min round is good.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by Nelshizzle
She slipped on a banana peel.

I swear I had no idea she was there.
Just sat down for a smoke.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Nobody checked that particular stairwell for two weeks?!

Well, in any situation, that doesn't sound like a good hygiene policy for a hospital. Even more stupid when someone has gone missing and you don't even check the entire building.

Imagine dying of a bladder infection though - how awful...
Maybe someone left some comically misplaced rollerskates at the top of the stairs...
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Poor cow, she was only trying to get to the kitchen
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Should have make an anonymous call to police to tell there's a bomb in the hospital.

See if they check thoroughly then.

Not enough details, but I can see a hypothetical situation where a patient wants to leave against doctors orders, and when gone, nurses/doctors assume she just walked outside as fast as she could.

It could be she tried this, and in fear of being seen/caught chose a closed of stairway, where a ghost confronted her and stole her soul.

Like I said not enough details, just hypothetical, but if there's anything to be learned from this hypothesis, always carry a bag of rock salt with you.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by progdude93
how big is this hospital? because if it's 100,000 square feet, it could be difficult to search without a lot of people

precisely. The hospital I go to is giant and it's not even one of the biggest. The original development is about 8 acres but they've added a new tower block, food courts, offices, etc and it is connected to a subway station on a new line that was built 2 years ago and there's a new wing coming up soon too.

(I wasn't even going to mention the satellite buildings which are used mainly for research and outpatient stuff and are a 20 minute drive away because it isn't relevant to this discussion, but my point remains: it's huge.)

I've been going there quite often for the last few years and should be familiar with the place since I used to volunteer every week, but the only place I know the way to without being slightly unsure of where I'm going is the food court near the entrance. It isn't hard to imagine a patient getting lost in there and not being found for days.

Which brings me to this point,

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Nobody checked that particular stairwell for two weeks?!

Well, in any situation, that doesn't sound like a good hygiene policy for a hospital. Even more stupid when someone has gone missing and you don't even check the entire building.

It's not a good hygiene policy anywhere, but if you have a shortage of cleaners and it isn't an essential area (not all staircases are ones that people will need regular access to or are near clinics and stuff) then it's not going to get cleaned until someone new is hired or an existing employee is willing or made to do some extra work. So again, not very surprising.
cat
By the title of the thread, I thought you accidentally posted in the pit what you meant for S&L, haha. Very trendy poem title you got there.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by vintage x metal

I don't know about you, but falling down the stairs for me takes like 3 seconds.

What's the mystery here? She was in hte hospital for whatever. She got out, maybe to have a smoke, maybe to pee, accidentally fell down the stairs, died. What else is there to know?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.