Hello!

I've been playing guitar for a couple of years, I've had an Ibanez RG370DX in the past (with a floyd rose) which I liked a lot because of its neck etc, currently I have been using stock Tanglewood TSB58 which I found ok however it had some factory faults which made it a pain to properly set up etc.

I am writing my own music, and I am about to form a band and about to record my stuff, but I feel like its time to invest in a proper electric guitar that could stay with me for a while now. Unfortunately I am on a budget which is £500 max that I could spend on a new or used electric guitar (I don't mind buying used, as a matter of fact all of my guitars were used - some people say to get a new as used could have some hidden faults etc?).

I am really into heavy stuff these days, stuff like Rammstein, I really like Richard Z Kruspe playing (he might not be the best guitarist out there but its just what I really enjoy to listen).

I definitelly would like to use EMG active humbuckers (81/85) so no matter what guitar I will be buying I will most probably buy them as well - unless the guitar comes with them already.

I have a couple of guitars I could buy (attention, I am left handed - this makes it more difficult when buying a guitar as the choice is much smaller):

ESP LTD Viper 300FM - used one, with a hard case, with EMG 81 and 85 already in it for about £350 - only down side of this is that I would prefer to have a floyd rose for stuff like solos dive bombs etc - however on a plus sides I change tunings sometimes and as I remember from having my Ibanez in the past, floyd rose is a little bit of a pain when changing tunings.

ESP LTD EC1000 Delux - used one, with a hard case, with EMG 81 and 85, locking tuners for about £500 - same story, no floyd rose

ESP LTD KH202 - New one, no case, with ESP active humbuckers, floyd rose for about £400, most probably chinese make as its the cheapest KH202 out there - not too sure if its gonna be quality guitar, gives some excitement as Kruspe from Rammstein plays it as well (of course on the cheap version)

Ibanez RG870QMZ - Used one, with a hard case, with CAP-VM pickups for about £500, however I prefer 2 humbuckers only, this one is H/S/H

Chapman ML1 - New for about £400 - down sides - S/S/H and stock pickups are probably rubish, but I've heard its the best value for money (?)

Chapman ML2 - New for about £500 - no floyd rose but 2 humbuckers - same thing - stock humbuckers will be probably rubish

Ibanez RG1570 - Used, in average condition (some marks/chips on the body but I rather have a great guitar that can stay with me for long than perfect looking guitar that will be worse) doesn't come with a case and doesn't have J Craft Team stamp on the back of the headstock but was made in Fujigen according to serial number starting with F for about £350

Jackson Performer PS4L - Used, good condition for about £350

Charvel 6 with a Schaller Floyd-Rose and Jackson pickups - used, great condition about £350

I currently use Peavey Classic Chorus 212 solid state amp but I will upgrade is in January to some budget valve head (probably Tiny Terror or something from Blackstar) I prefer to upgrade a guitar first for playability and so later on I can take it with me to the stores and choose an amp.

At the moment, I would focus more on getting the best guitar for this amount of money (max £500) and a microphone so I could record it through my Peavey amp (as for microphones I can't decide between Shure SM57 and Samson C01U USB mic - from my research SM57 sounds a little bit better).

As I've said previously, I am left handed and none of these guitars are in the stores around my area so I am unfortunately unable to play them etc.

Thanks!
i'd go with the rg1570 if you're ok with a trem, the ltd ec1000 if you want a hardtail.

if you can find one, an ibanez rga121 is a prestige hardtail RG, and is very nice if you're willing to swap the pickups. (from what i hear, though, EMGs might need a little work to the pickup routes to fit)

EDIT: jet city is hard to beat on a budget for high gain valve amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thank you for advice, I would prefer guitar with a floyd rose because I would like to include some whammy bar in my solos etc, at the moment I feel limited by hard tail on my les paul copy.

I really like this RG1570, but I am not too sure if £330-350 for it is a good price (it is about 525$ - 550$) as it has chips on the body, doesn't come with a hardcase and doesn't have J Craft Team stamp on it (I don't know if that matters tho).

I've previously owned RG370DX (which I still have in pieces and don't really have time to fix it and put it together, don't even think its worth it) and I love Ibanezes feel.

As for amp, I was thinking also about Blackstar HT 100 Watt Valve amp, but that will have to wait till January as I am on a budget unfortunately
Try the ESP LTD Alexi Laiho's and the 400 series les pauls with active EMG humbuckers as well. For an non heavy high quality guitar try Godins.
I think that the jet city is objectively better than the blackstar. I am not a huge fan of the HT series. If you are set on that amp then more power to you, I'd play around.
Guitars-since you have stated that you like Ibbys then I would go for the 1570. They are great guitars, even better if you can find an older 550 or 570 those are amazing as well.
Best of luck!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
With the amp, I think I will save some money for couple of months and maybe invest in mesa boogie rectifier somehow (used one of course, and smaller cheaper one if I will afford it) then use current Peavey Chorus Classic 212 as a cabinet for mesa (which isn't that bad tbh for high gain, much better than digital amps on garageband that I was currently using for recording - BTW I was thinking about getting guitar rig rammfire to get similar sound to Kruspe for at least now, of course I don't want to sound exactly like him, I would prefer to find my own tone etc).

As for a guitar, do you guys think used Ibanez Prestige RG1570 from 2004 from FujiGen factory with great condition neck and frets but quite chipped body (chipped in a similar way to this ESP - http://www.antonioguitars.ro/ESP%20KH-2%20Distressed.htm ) for £330-£350 ($525-$550) without a case and without TEAM J CRAFT stamp (they started to put these stamps in 2005 but it is still made by J craft, made in japan) is a good value for money? They usually go for £550-700 used in great condition with cases here in uk, I dont care about hard case as I will be using semi hard case anyway (more comfortable for me) and I don't care about distressed look as it gives it character. Also it comes with Edge Pro bridge, not ZERO like newer models. I am quite tempted to get it :P
^ that usual used price you're quoting sounds very high. I'd have thought more £300-£400 used for a 570/1570, but i could be wrong. Not that long ago (before the recession hit) they were going new for £400, and if you look around, you can still find the odd new old stock older model in shops for reasonable(ish) prices.

Quote by Rarss
(a) thank you for advice, I would prefer guitar with a floyd rose because I would like to include some whammy bar in my solos etc, at the moment I feel limited by hard tail on my les paul copy.

I really like this RG1570, but I am not too sure if £330-350 for it is a good price (it is about 525$ - 550$) as it has chips on the body, doesn't come with a hardcase and doesn't have J Craft Team stamp on it (I don't know if that matters tho).

I've previously owned RG370DX (which I still have in pieces and don't really have time to fix it and put it together, don't even think its worth it) and I love Ibanezes feel.

(b) As for amp, I was thinking also about Blackstar HT 100 Watt Valve amp, but that will have to wait till January as I am on a budget unfortunately

(a) no worries. it'll be hard to beat the 1570 without spending a lot more money, then, especially if you already like ibanez necks. I'm not too sure about prices, but the team j-craft thing is a (relatively) recent addition, I think. As long as there's an F in the serial number, I think it should be ok (don't quote me on that, though, but I have a 2000 RG470 which doesn't have "j craft" on it).

(b) those blackstar HT series amps aren't all-valve, they're hybrid. they have some solid state stuff in the signal path. At least the lower wattage ones, do- the 100 has an extra preamp tube, and might be all-valve, but i still suspect it's hybrid, just a little more valve than the other ones.

Doesn't matter if you like how it sounds, but you can certainly get genuinely all-valve amps within that kind of price range.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 10, 2013,
Thanks alot Dave_Mc!
I had no idea that new RG1570 were going for £400, when I've google it now in UK the prices are much higher for new models, currently GAK wants £819.00 for a new RG1570Z (Z=Edge Zero not pro) prices got mad as I suppose also, I am left handed and unfortunately not only I have smaller choice of guitars but also left handed models always cost more than right handed :S now I'm not too sure if its ok to spend £330 on a used one without a case etc if as you said new once were going for £400 :P
yeah the recession hit and the pound massively weakened and prices shot way up.

If you're left-handed that'll complicate things, unfortunately. As you said, higher prices and less availability. What I said before assumed you were right-handed. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You might want to contact Fernandes Guitars- they're not listed on the website, but I know they have done lefty guitars in the past.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've never played or seen Fernandes in real life, I could get Fernandes Revolver for £200, but the headstock puts me down another new option is Charvel 475 with Schaller Floyd-Rose,Jackson pickups and a JE-1200 Mid Boost preamp
After checking my ebay watch list of ended auctions I've found out that someone sold lefty RG1570 from 2009 in as new condition with hardcase and J Craft stamp for £350... no way I will pay £330 for this used chipped one without a case... stupid me for missing that previous listing... I guess I have to be patient and wait for a bargain :P
Another option: contact Godin about their Redline guitars. I know they do SOME guitars as lefties, but I don't know which ones. And the Redlines are, as I recall, the not ones that come with actives.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

They unfortunately only make "classic" guitars in left handed version, how about Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 with a floyd rose? or Banshee? Also, does anyone know if there is any hidden cost when buying a guitar from USA to UK on ebay? Any hidden charges apart from the postage included on the listings?
Not so fast- I have seen a few different lefty Godins over the years, ones not in the Session line. I've never seen them on the website. Drop 'em a line.

Anyway, Adirondack has a pretty good selection of lefty axes: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_electrics.htm

And Leftyfretz has this database: http://leftyfretz.com/left-handed-guitar-database/

I slowly begin to seriously think about Charvel after all good reviews I've read about them hmmm it does have humbucker on the bridge and two singles (middle and neck) who knows...
Charvel is one of the classic brands of rock/metal.

yeah they are apparently competitive to ibanez prestige series is that correct? Both MIJ. Shame Charvel is S/S/H and not H/H, however would that made that much of a difference in sound if I want to make music similar to rammstein?
Quote by Rarss
They unfortunately only make "classic" guitars in left handed version, how about Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 with a floyd rose? or Banshee? Also, does anyone know if there is any hidden cost when buying a guitar from USA to UK on ebay? Any hidden charges apart from the postage included on the listings?

You will have to pay your country's import taxes and what ever else they add to it, besides all the fees associated with the ebay listing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rarss
Also, does anyone know if there is any hidden cost when buying a guitar from USA to UK on ebay? Any hidden charges apart from the postage included on the listings?

You're liable to get hit by customs and VAT charges. Which'll add ~25% to the total price (and they're charged on the postage fee too, to add insult to injury).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So as I suppose all that put together would give similar UK shop price Bloody hell wish I lived in US where everything is so much cheaper Today I went to cashgenerator shop in Cambridge to look for some guitars/amps... they didn't have any lefties but I've found Jet City 20 used for £200 lol, they want £200 for used when the new one costs £199... same shop that sold me Peavey Classic Chorus 212 for £200 few years ago when they go for £50-£70 on ebay... I didnt know that back then...

I might get that Charvel actually... if it is as good as Ibanez Prestige models... shame ESP's are so damn expensive (MIJ models, not chinese LTD) because I really would love to have KH axe
it depends... some things are enough dearer that even with those charges, you still end up ahead. But on a lot of things it brings the prices close enough that it's not worth the bother.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What would be a better choice, Charvel 475 or Schecter PT Telecaster? Charvel is S/S/H, while Schecter is H/H but doesnt have floyd rose tho. Any opinions about these two?