http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIvSXocE6YY (Strife - Trivium)

I'm aware that Matt Heafy's go-to amp is the 6505 and he uses little to no pedals, so his tone is rather simple for the most part. However I have a 6505+ and cannot get even near that tone, which makes me wonder if I've completely overlooked something important.

Any ideas? (Amp settings, pickups, pedals, etc)

My setup:
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall 1960A cab
ESP DV8
There's nothing wrong with what you have. How loud are you turning it up? If you're keeping it at acceptable (but not whisper quiet) low volumes you might not be loud enough to get the oomph you desire.

Another thing could be to get a tubescreamer style pedal and use it as a clean boost to drive the front end of your amp.

Lastly I will say that there is at least quadruple tracking going on there. Maybe even 6 different takes of the same guitar riff being played together. Having 4 (or 6) tracks playing this same thing makes the guitar tone sound huge on studio recordings.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I'm having a hunch that it's actually a rectifier though, which would explain why I can't get that tone, although I'll definitely try a tube screamer
I don't follow Trivium that well but I do know that if he plays a 6505 and you play a 6505+, there is a difference between the two. I am a lot more familiar with the + models because I have one (112 combo) and have played many of the 6505+ heads.

Regular 6505s are supposedly a little more "raw" sounding and have more low-mid content. So less smooth and refined and maybe a little more brutal (I haven't ever played one personally -- but by all accounts they sound like what I want in my next amp.)

Couple that with different cabs and speakers and he could have a very different tone than you, even if the amps are almost the same.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You should be able to get that tone with what you have. Studio production probably has something to do with your lack of satisfaction.

Look up some live videos.
Is your 1960A loaded with the stock T75s? If so, that's your problem.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
+1 to pretty much everything said here.

Absolutely get a TUbescreamer of some kind. There are lots of good options, there's a blog on my profile about it. The Digitech Bad Monkey is a very good place to start if you're not sure. Very good value and feature set.

After that try a cab with V30s.

But ultimately, studio magic can be impossible to match with analog gear, so depending on how much was used, don't get your hopes too high.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Br0c00ler
I'm having a hunch that it's actually a rectifier though, which would explain why I can't get that tone, although I'll definitely try a tube screamer

According to Matt, it's still 5150, but mixed in with 3120's as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
You linked a studio recording?

So many bands use all kinds of amps in the studio, plus production etc.

Link an actual live tone you want to nail, cause that's the best he can achieve when faced in the same setting.

If he can't get the same tone live, than it would be weird if you COULD nail it.

EDIT:
Listened to the recording, it's a pretty generic metal tone, if you can't get close I'm 100% certain it's either studio "magic" or your playing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 10, 2013,
The simple formula is:

1) First Matt uses an old block letter 5150
2) He uses a recto cab in the studio (see the In Waves Documentary)
3) As for the screamer, they use the Maxon 808

The key is to blend the 808 seamlessly with the amp, but you want to keep the amps gain and saturation down so you get rid of that "hiss" all 5150 and 6505s are famous for. If that fails, buy an Axe FX . Silent Underground released a tone match of the album and its spot on.

Edit: A Noise Gate is also crucial. I believe they use Dunlop's smart gate in the studio.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Last edited by shredder3386 at Oct 10, 2013,