I just got my guitar back from repairs three days ago and I just realised the strings they put in it are a different gauge - my guitar was set up for 10-46 and the strings they restrung it with are 9-46... are there any issues with this?
Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ at Oct 10, 2013,
I restrung my guitar, which had been set up with 10s, with 9s by accident. It instantly exploded. The ensuing guitar fire burned up all five of my other guitars before triggering an electrical fire in my rig. My amps blew apart, bouncing flaming speakers off of my walls like ping-pong balls. As I ran for cover, my drapes combusted my roof melted.

Never change your string gauge! O_O
Quote by samuraigoomba
I restrung my guitar, which had been set up with 10s, with 9s by accident. It instantly exploded. The ensuing guitar fire burned up all five of my other guitars before triggering an electrical fire in my rig. My amps blew apart, bouncing flaming speakers off of my walls like ping-pong balls. As I ran for cover, my drapes combusted my roof melted.

Never change your string gauge! O_O

I sense sarcasm - and personally I liked 10s, perhaps even more. Don't know why they changed the gauge, I didn't ask them to.
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
I think I might just take it back. I never asked them to change them.

You are completely fine.

At worst you will notice the higher strings are a little loose compared to the 10's. Play those strings until you need to restring then put a set of 10's on it. I have never had intonation issues when switching from 10's to 9's or vice versa on a hard-tail. If it is a tremolo them you may encounter some issues.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You are completely fine.

At worst you will notice the higher strings are a little loose compared to the 10's. Play those strings until you need to restring then put a set of 10's on it. I have never had intonation issues when switching from 10's to 9's or vice versa on a hard-tail. If it is a tremolo them you may encounter some issues.

It is a strat, tremolo bridge.
take it back then
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
Why would they change the string gauge?

Did you tell them it had 10's on it?

Lots of people use 9's, especially on Fenders because they have a 25.5" scale and do not require bigger strings to get to string tension, like on a Gibson 9's feel very loose when compared to 9's on a Fender

But if you restring with 10's there is a good chance the bridge will not sit level on the body because of the slight increase in tension when going from 9's up to 10's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Did you tell them it had 10's on it?

Lots of people use 9's, especially on Fenders because they have a 25.5" scale and do not require bigger strings to get to string tension, like on a Gibson 9's feel very loose when compared to 9's on a Fender

But if you restring with 10's there is a good chance the bridge will not sit level on the body because of the slight increase in tension when going from 9's up to 10's

No, I didn't. Wouldn't expect it to be an issue seeing as the makers of my guitar have a string gauge list of each guitar model on their website.
Oh My God they changed string gauge!! The world is going to end.

But seriously, not a big deal. 9s should be easier to bend and the lower strings are the same. Just try them and see if you like them. And if not, ask them to change them to 10s. Just take it back if it bothers you so much. Oh, and you said it has a tremolo bridge. Are you sure they didn't set it up for the strings they put in? It may be that they set it up. If you don't have any tuning issues, your guitar is set up well.

Did you tell them your guitar has 10s? Maybe they didn't know what gauge strings your guitar had so they just put some strings in it.

But do you have any problems with the new strings? If not, I see no point in doing anything. But if there are tuning problems or you can't stand how the strings feel, just take it back.

And the website only tells what strings it has when it comes out of the factory. They can't assume you use the same string gauge as the website tells (because everybody has their own preferences). The guitar works with any strings but just may need a set up for new string gauge.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Oh My God they changed string gauge!! The world is going to end.

But seriously, not a big deal. 9s should be easier to bend and the lower strings are the same. Just try them and see if you like them. And if not, ask them to change them to 10s. Just take it back if it bothers you so much. Oh, and you said it has a tremolo bridge. Are you sure they didn't set it up for the strings they put in? It may be that they set it up. If you don't have any tuning issues, your guitar is set up well.

Did you tell them your guitar has 10s? Maybe they didn't know what gauge strings your guitar had so they just put some strings in it.

But do you have any problems with the new strings? If not, I see no point in doing anything. But if there are tuning problems or you can't stand how the strings feel, just take it back.

I prefer how they feel but it makes my guitar sound different, don't really know what I prefer. My guitar used to be an insane overdrive thing capable of GNR and AC/DC, Bon Jovi etc. but now it is more Nirvana/Clapton... brighter. I don't know what I prefer they are so different. My guitar is quieter now. Then again it may just be the hybrid slinkies... artists which I like use 10's, none use 9's... I know it is personal preference though. More stratty though.
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
I prefer how they feel but it makes my guitar sound different, don't really know what I prefer. My guitar used to be an insane overdrive thing capable of GNR and AC/DC etc. but now it is more Nirvana/Clapton... brighter. I don't know what I prefer they are so different. My guitar is quiter now.

It is brighter because the strings are new. Your bottom three strings are exactly the same as the old ones. They may be different brand and different brands sound different. And I find new strings sounding louder than older strings. But the bright sound comes from the strings being new regardless of the gauge. Older strings sound more smooth. I like the twang of new strings.

Strings don't matter that much. They don't make your guitar sound completely different. I don't think 9s and 10s even sound that different. I think the most important thing in strings is how they feel. Again, the sound thing is more about how old/new the strings are. New strings always sound bright and old strings sound smoother (they lose their brightness over time - and as I said, I like the bright sound of new strings and I know people who hate it).

How old were your old strings?

And the string gauge doesn't matter that much to your tone. Your pickups, amp and effects and your playing style matter a lot more. If you can't achieve the "AC/DC" tone, it's not because Angus Young used 10 gauges and you use 9s.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
It is brighter because the strings are new. Your bottom three strings are exactly the same as the old ones. They may be different brand and different brands sound different. And I find new strings sounding louder than older strings. But the bright sound comes from the strings being new regardless of the gauge. Older strings sound more smooth. I like the twang of new strings.

Strings don't matter that much. They don't make your guitar sound completely different. I don't think 9s and 10s even sound that different. I think the most important thing in strings is how they feel. Again, the sound thing is more about how old/new the strings are. New strings always sound bright and old strings sound smoother (they lose their brightness over time - and as I said, I like the bright sound of new strings and I know people who hate it).

How old were your old strings?

And the string gauge doesn't matter that much to your tone. Your pickups, amp and effects and your playing style matter a lot more. If you can't achieve the "AC/DC" tone, it's not because Angus Young used 10 gauges and you use 9s.

They had never been changed, I have only had my guitar around 4-5 months.
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
They had never been changed, I have only had my guitar around 4-5 months.

Well they must have been very dead sounding. If you are going to leave strings on a guitar for that long, look into Cleartones or Elixir strings, they will sound better for longer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Was it a fender? Factory spec is 9's
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Change your strings more often
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
String gauge does only really make a difference on a clean tone, and a tube amp, which can actually display those tiny dynamic nuances.

I find to get that reggae kind strums/hits (you know what I mean) 0.09 does a bit better, and find 0.08 to sound even better. Just sounds more snappy, and with a good spring reverb initiates the 'verb nicer.

However if you do not play something like that shit, get whatever feels good to you, but as mentioned intonation could be off a bit when changing.

Maybe you could go back say they are the wrong gauge, and make a deal you pay for a new set of string if they can intonate it fast, for a guitar tech it should be quite easy/fast to do and especially so on a (assuming stock) fixed bridge.

My guy does a complete intonation and pup height setting in about 5 minutes, but he is a conservatory guy with 20+ years experience and a bit of a nutter/perfectionist.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
Godin Session

I can see what you mean. I guess people here thought that since your username is Gibson LP, the guitar you own must be one as well. You can change the strings yourself next time, only thing to adjust for is the screws in the trem cavity & the truss rod. Look up for videos of each on youtube. I have a session as well. it's definitely fatter sounding with 10's but awful hard to bend strings on it with that gauge. I use 9's on mine & turn the knobs on the amp to compensate, but as usual there is no substitute for string mass lol

I'd say take it back, if you change to 10's yourself right now then you will need to adjust stuff I mentioned above. Next time however there won't be a need to adjust either if it has 10's on it, so you can just string it up with another 10's yourself, its not very difficult at all to change strings..
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
I prefer how they feel but it makes my guitar sound different, don't really know what I prefer. My guitar used to be an insane overdrive thing capable of GNR and AC/DC, Bon Jovi etc. but now it is more Nirvana/Clapton... brighter. I don't know what I prefer they are so different. My guitar is quieter now. Then again it may just be the hybrid slinkies... artists which I like use 10's, none use 9's... I know it is personal preference though. More stratty though.

How strings feel is the most important thing. Same as how guitar feels is the most important thing when choosing a guitar and comes before sound. Again, I'm sure there's not that big a difference between 9s and 10s in sound. And also your strings are 9-46, so the three bottom strings are heavier gauge and you will get the "10 gauge tone" on your lower strings. And the 9 gauge strings are easier to bend so you get the best of both worlds. There's difference between strings and it doesn't always have to do with the gauge. Different brand strings sound different. I tried DR strings instead of Ernie Balls that I usually use and they sounded different (EB had more mids). And they were the same gauge. Don't know which I preferred sound wise but I have never snapped an EB string and the high E DR string snapped so I would say I prefer EB.

And you said the 9 set feels better so I would use them.

And about the bending thing - if you can bend the strings, the string gauge doesn't matter that much. My friend uses 11s on his Gibson SG and they aren't that much harder to bend than the 9s I have in my Charvel.

I don't believe that you couldn't get the AC/DC tone with your current strings. Or then you had EQed your amp when you had dead strings and now it sounds completely different with new strings. New strings always have more twang and brighter sound but it goes away over time.

Also, does your guitar go out of tune? If not, it is set up right and I wouldn't do anything to it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
How strings feel is the most important thing. Same as how guitar feels is the most important thing when choosing a guitar and comes before sound. Again, I'm sure there's not that big a difference between 9s and 10s in sound. And also your strings are 9-46, so the three bottom strings are heavier gauge and you will get the "10 gauge tone" on your lower strings. And the 9 gauge strings are easier to bend so you get the best of both worlds. There's difference between strings and it doesn't always have to do with the gauge. Different brand strings sound different. I tried DR strings instead of Ernie Balls that I usually use and they sounded different (EB had more mids). And they were the same gauge. Don't know which I preferred sound wise but I have never snapped an EB string and the high E DR string snapped so I would say I prefer EB.

And you said the 9 set feels better so I would use them.

And about the bending thing - if you can bend the strings, the string gauge doesn't matter that much. My friend uses 11s on his Gibson SG and they aren't that much harder to bend than the 9s I have in my Charvel.

I don't believe that you couldn't get the AC/DC tone with your current strings. Or then you had EQed your amp when you had dead strings and now it sounds completely different with new strings. New strings always have more twang and brighter sound but it goes away over time.

Also, does your guitar go out of tune? If not, it is set up right and I wouldn't do anything to it.

My guitar stays in tune pretty well with this gauge.