Wouldn't wear a ponytail to work, still not pedo looking
18 14%
Wouldn't wear a ponytail to work, because I'd look like a pedo
31 24%
I've been called a pedo/got dodgy looks from people because of my ponytail
2 2%
Voters: 128.
Page 1 of 3
So I'm trying to get a job but my hair is a little longer than accepted (about shoulder lenght). All the possible jobs in my area involve public interaction, and even if I do get a job I'm pretty sure I'd have to cut my hair or... the PONYTAIL.

Ponytails are freaking horrible and make everyone who use them look like a child molester, is there anyway I can escape the ponytail (or cutting of said hair)? Can I say that I come from the UK and my religion is Heavy Metal and it would be blasphemous to change my hair?

Please share your misadventures in the laboureal world, and possible solutions to my problem (cutting the hair isn't an acceptable answer)
Poll incoming.

Yes... I loved your baby pictures!

Edit: I'm not actually the guy on the pic
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 10, 2013,
Just make sure it looks tidy when you go for an interview. And if you get the job, be competent enough that hair isn't gonna make a difference.

I work with the MOD and have long hair and a beard, obviously I don't fit in, and I get a tonne of stick from the military guys, but as long as I'm doing my job it shouldn't make a difference.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by Minicaxotinho
Ponytails are freaking horrible and make everyone who use them look like a child molester

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Oct 10, 2013,
My hair seems much longer than yours right now. I don't have a job/not looking, full time student.... I do get comments on my hair often about how my hair is so long and how i need to cut it ASAP etc.

I think your hair is at that awkward length where it's perhaps a little too short to put in a ponytail. It should get better as it grows longer.

Shall be interesting seeing how I do getting a job with my dreads haha.
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
cut your hair and not only will you get the job, but a number of better things will happen to you

I don't want to cut it mainly because I actually look better with longer hair
Working with the public....
Unless its a tattoo parlor, head shop, Harley/chopper shop or basically any place that the mainstream considers "antisocial" you need a hair cut.
Quote by Nero Galon
My hair seems much longer than yours right now. I don't have a job/not looking, full time student.... I do get comments on my hair often about how my hair is so long and how i need to cut it ASAP etc.

I think your hair is at that awkward length where it's perhaps a little too short to put in a ponytail. It should get better as it grows longer.

Shall be interesting seeing how I do getting a job with my dreads haha.

That guy in the picture is not me...
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I don't want to cut it mainly because I actually look better with longer hair

no, you're just comfortable w/ long hair

short hair will look weird for like 3 days but after that you'll be staring @ yourself in the mirror asking why you didn't cut it sooner
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
no, you're just comfortable w/ long hair

short hair will look weird for like 3 days but after that you'll be staring @ yourself in the mirror asking why you didn't cut it sooner

I don't think so, after a whole life of short hair and feeling unconfortable with it I decided to get longer hair. Instant happiness
Depends I guess. I've known guys with long hair who wore ponytails at work and honestly you are the only one thinking about it. Look however you want to, everyone else is just like you worried about how they look and not caring about others.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Ponytails are only acceptable if you look like a Dothraki
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I don't think so, after a whole life of short hair and feeling unconfortable with it I decided to get longer hair. Instant happiness

Your hair must grow extremely fast.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by captainsnazz
Yeah it sucks but that's life.
Luckily I'm destined for a career in research and outrageous hair is a bonus when you're going for that sort of job.

Grow a beard but keep it trim. It shows you're metal but respectable and neat. People really dig it!
Guitar tuition - Oxfordshire
Guitar lessons - Bicester
Acoustic guitar lesson - Bicester
Quote by The Musical Box
Grow a beard but keep it trim. It shows you're metal but respectable and neat. People really dig it!

Yeah the beard is not a problem, but what if I got a job with no beard and let it grow a bit (still trimmed) and they fired me because of it? Could I call them on discrimination or something?
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 10, 2013,
cut it. You'll thank yourself later
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
A ponytail can look "ok" and won't be a problem at work. It will not look pedo at all if you and keep a general clean look.

and actually one from behind (had a hard time finding it, i'm always facing the camera)

that beeing said, it certainly won't help. I've spoken with many friends that have some responsability in HR, and they all said that between 2 guys with same competences, they'd take the one that doesn't have long haird without a second thought.
Last edited by Djaydjay at Oct 10, 2013,
I had long hair with all of my jobs, had to wear it in a ponytail. Either cut it off or just deal with it
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by darkcheef
You look like a drug addict with long hair, not a pedo

I'm not the guy in the picture, guess I learnt the necessity of citing your sources
If you want to have long hair, it's a price you have to pay - on that note, there are lots of people who don't like tattoos, but if you get one you aren't getting it for other people so why should you be bothered?

I have a job (been at this one for almost 3 years now) and have long hair. When I started, it was shorter (I cut it to about shoulder length when last looking for a job) and I just 'wore it down', and then as it grew my manager asked me politely if I'd mind tying it up, so I did. I don't particularly love the look, but at the end of the day I'm there to work - not to look my best and to attract women I already have a gf I've been with for 4 1/2 years, though I haven't had any awkward looks etc. other than perhaps a few people's babies trying to work out why the person down the aisle has facial hair/man's voice but long hair

Can only think of one person who's given me any real stick over my hair the whole time I've been here, but he left ages ago for (allegedly) having been caught on the roof for no good reason. Regardless of why he left/had to leave, he was hardly the most popular person, and everybody else there I get on well with - all but two of them having short hair and being 'regular' people, if you will.

Basically, if you have a reason you want long hair (for me, it's because it looks right on stage and suits me more), it's a price you have to pay. Weigh up what you care more about - if other people judging you is a problem, should probably have short hair and wear the latest fashion anyway
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Put it in a hybrid bun. By hybrid I mean leave some sticking out under the bun. Much more stylish look too. It's what I do.
"It's better to be kind. Being clever or good looking is subjective. Kindness is essential" - Ricky Gervais
I've never had any problems with guys having a ponytail, so I don't understand why everyone resent them enought to warrant for name calling (for example child molester). Its just ****ing hair, stop being so shallow.
Idk what its called when you tie your hair into a knot behind your head (f.e. Jack Welker from Breaking Bad), but thats what I'd choose over a ponytail.
Last edited by -Mantra- at Oct 10, 2013,
Just my opinion.

It's incredibly rare for a person to look better with longer hair. Maybe it suits your 'image' better, or it gives you a confidence boost, but every person I know who was a self proclaimed metalhead with long hair looked really greasy and sleazy. You have to be very lucky to be able to pull it off, and by lucky I mean good looking. While they see their hair as god like, shiny, shimmering and clean, almost everyone outside the metal community sees it as dirty.

Everyone I know who had long hair during their late teens (pretty much right after school when they were allowed to grow it) went through a couple of years of looking like shit before cutting it, getting proper jobs and basically had to grow up and reinvent themselves.

That might sound harsh and horrible, but in all likelihood it's as true for you as it's been for everyone I know in my life. I don't know anyone with a proper job who can pull off long hair.
^ Though I don't quite agree that it applies to pretty much everyone, you bring up a point which is important - if you have long hair but don't look after it, it will be much more noticeable than if somebody has short hair and doesn't wash it enough.

I mean, I have to wash my hair at least every other day, and if I want to go out anywhere/work/look presentable, it's every day. Otherwise, just sleeping on it once starts to make it look greasy. You also can't just get up late and go out somewhere with 5 mins in the bathroom to brush your teeth and splash a little water on your face... if you don't brush your hair it will be obvious that you only just got up lol.

I think it depends a lot on the shape of the person's face and what they wear, as to whether it suits a person... I mean, I wouldn't call myself 'good looking' but my hair is fairly thin, so when I had short hair it didn't look great and really short/buzzcut didn't look good at all either. Aside from it suiting my image, long hair just frames my face better (damn, that sounds girly haha) and I was definitely more successful when single with long hair, than with short hair.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
from a 'professional' standpoint, i would say that a ponytail looks better than long hair flying around getting all in yr face &c., so unless you wanna cut yr locks, rock it.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
^ Though I don't quite agree that it applies to pretty much everyone, you bring up a point which is important - if you have long hair but don't look after it, it will be much more noticeable than if somebody has short hair and doesn't wash it enough.

ugh yeah fuck greasy metalheads giving long haired blokes a bad name
try suing ha ha say look that woman has long hair.id rather have some one with clean long hair than piercings and tats.
The guy in the original post looks like a paedophile because of the ponytail-moustache-beard combo, and the fact that his hair is too thin and short to actually warrant wearing a ponytail in the first place, not just because he's tied his hair up.

I teach piano and music in a private music school, a primary school and a church, and no-one has had a problem with my long hair. I tie it up because it looks smart, I'm not obliged to by my bosses.

I went for one interview for the same kind of job in a slightly posh town, where everyone was a bit up themselves, and the guy interviewing me complained that my hair was too long and that it might 'scare children'. He also made offensive comments about my accent, the city I live in and the fact that I work a lot with asylum seekers, so I don't think it was just the long hair that annoyed him.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Last edited by rabidguitarist at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by archangels
A ponytail only makes you look like a pedophile if you already look like a pedophile.

+1, I have lots of friends who wear their hair that way for work or whatever, it doesn't look bad.

Go with a ponytail in to the interview. If they give you shit for it, tell them you'd be wiling to cut it for the job.
Quote by captainsnazz
Yeah it sucks but that's life.
Luckily I'm destined for a career in research and outrageous hair is a bonus when you're going for that sort of job.
Take note from this guy, TS. His hair is glorious.

In fact, I choose to believe that when we die, we are all just reincarnated into a strand of hair on his head. That's why it's soo glorious. That's his secret.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Page 1 of 3