I FINALLY got a Mark V

I had been saving up for some time and could finally afford it.

I already bought a used 2x12 rectifier cab with V30's a couple months back to go with it but now I'm wondering if a widebody is the way to go? I've been trying to search old threads but not getting all the info I need.

Is it true that the rectifier cab is more suited for metal players while the widebody would be better for lighter stuff? I'm playing mostly clean to edge of break-up to classic rock. I like the occasional metal sounds but that's just for fun at home.

It seems the recto cab is very bass heavy? Is that true? Sometimes I think the bass is just too thumpy and I'm wondering if the front ported widebody or the open back widebody would give me a more even sound?

What say ye gentlemen?

Here's the mandatory NGD pic btw:

Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Grats! Nice gear...lemme have it!

I wonder if you just made a new back for your cab but leave the top half open, the bottom half with the jack would still need to be there. It might lessen the bass coming out... It's just a theory, anyone know if it will work?
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 10, 2013,
Thanks!

Yeah that's a thought but I'd rather not mess with my recto cab. Besides, the open backs seem to usual have C90's and the V30's are always closed of...don't know why.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
Thanks!

Yeah that's a thought but I'd rather not mess with my recto cab. Besides, the open backs seem to usual have C90's and the V30's are always closed of...don't know why.

If you made a new back you can always just put the old one back on and it would be like nothing was changed if you wanted to sell it or something.
Quote by Blackfire.
If you made a new back you can always just put the old one back on and it would be like nothing was changed if you wanted to sell it or something.

My thoughts exactly.

HNGD, those amps are excellent!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
HNGD! I love my Mark V. You're gonna love it (as if you don't already) but trust me, you will tweak that thing everyday for ages, especially if you have multiple guitars.
Nice, very sweet looking setup, neat!

HNGD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Congrats on the new amp!

You could always try taking the back of your cab completely off just to test the change in tone. That won't cost a dime.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNGD! Love my Mark IV, looks like you'll have some fun with the V!

I don't have much experience with cabs, but you could always look at one of the matching Mark series cabs with a C90 or EVM12L. Maybe look at Avatar cabs too?
Thanks guys
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
i think with that setup, and the right tweaking of that amp, you should be able to get the sound you want....i mean thats a really nice setup, i think your crazy nitpicking at this point.

BTW - how is the HOF and flashback combo? i am considering getting a HOF
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I wouldn't call it nitpicking. I'm really happy with my current setup, I'm just wondering if another cab would suit my playing style better. I'm still able to coax out amazing tones. no worries

The tc pedals are really nice. I used the church setting on the HoF a lot with my Night train but the Mark V has an amazing built-in reverb that I use for everyday verb. I'm still gonna keep the HoF as I love the modulation setting. The delay is good too, I always keep it on the 2290 setting as I like that the most.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
That set up makes me drool. I want everything about it. HNAD!
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.